Can You Remove Brown Staining After Sclerotherapy?

I had sclerotherapy done one year ago. I now have brown staining on my legs. I went back to my doctor today, and he said it is very possible that it will be permanent. Is there anything I can do to remove the staining? It looks worse than the veins themselves!

Staining after Sclero...

+2

Hemosiderin staining after sclerotherapy is not uncommon unfortunately. Often the vessels you sought treatment for can be replaced by brown stains or stripes on the skin or at times just brown spots that resemble freckles or sun spots.  Most fade over time...but that time can be lengthy...years even.   In some cases I have seen the Q switched YAG laser help with the staining, but not always.  The best tincture is most often time.

Web reference: http://www.marinaplasticsurgery.com

Some options.

+1

Staining post sclerotherapy does happen in a small percentage of patients and is an accepted complication. There are several options to treat this including Q-switch laser and bleaching creams but ,unfortunately, neither of these is completely effective. Most of the staining will resolve on its own over time which could take up to a year. By a year, whatever staining is left will probably be permanent. I would recommend that you have a venous reflux ultrasound because if you have leaking (refluxing) valves in your saphenous system, these could be contributing to the staining. I have had patients with similar problems of staining with leaking valves who underwent valve closure resulting in the staining improving. Closing the valves reduces the back venous pressure which may be a component of the staining.

Naples General Surgeon

Staining after Sclerotherapy

+1

Staining can occur after sclerotherapy and unfortunately cannot be prevented or treated. However, it does resolve eventually but this frequently can take from upto six to twelve months.

Long Island Dermatologist

Staining after sclerotherapy

+1

if the iron from the blood cells caused a discoloration in the dermis, it may be difficult to treat. I have seen patients who developed white marks permanently from doctors who tried laser therapy for the pigment on dark skinned individuals. There can be post inflammatory hyperpigmentation even on light skinned patients. A dermatologist might use a Wood's light to see if it is pigment, and if it is superficial or deep. If superficial, then a lightening cream can help, but there can be risks so see a dermatologist in consultation.