Do I Have Keloid or Hypertrophic Scars? (photo)

Hello, I had acne breakout about 3 years ago and it left really bad scarring. Well this year I went to doctor and she told me I have keloids but I think it's hypertrophic scars because: My familly has no history with keloids just typical acne scarring, I'm white, scars grew about 1 year then it stopped and no itching, scars did not extend original site of trauma (in my case acne pimples). My doctor currently treats me with intralessional injections (kenalog) and IPL. Tanks.

Keloid vs. Hypertrophic Scar Information

+1

I often see combination scars that behave and appear as though they are in a transitional state between a hypertrophic and keloid scar.  Early treatment is necessary and I would begin with IIT, pulsed dye laser, and pressure treatment. 

Keloids and hypertrophic scars

+1

This is an interesting question. There are a number of differences between keloids and hypertrophic scars, and the distinction is not always very clear.. However, any scar that has lasted longer than six months is likely to be a keloid, even when it is not currently active (i.e. not itching or growing). Steroid injection with/without IPL is a very reasonable line of treatment.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon