A Half Vial of Juvederm for Lips?

As a University graduation present to myself, I would like to get lip injections. I don't want them to look super fake, and I'm wondering if 1/2 a vial of Juvederm would be enough, or would I need a full? Thanks!

Start With Half of a Syringe

+2
The first thing you should do is have a consultation with a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon –then they can help you with how much or how little filler you may need to make the difference you are looking for.

It is not uncommon when I inject lips that I will only use a half of a syringe and then show my patient what it looks like and we work from there to see how much more is needed or if we are not needing any more filler. On the counter, some may need more, and again we work with our patients to make sure we are artistically creating a natural but beautiful look.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Depends on goals

+1
Depending on the present volume of your lips, one syringe of juvederm ultra plus xc should be enough to give you the result you are looking for. It is always better to use a little less product at the beginning and add more later if needed rather than having an overdone look that you are unhappy with.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

One syringe of Juvederm in the lips is not enough to make you look fake.

+1

I'm from Toronto myself.  A half-syringe of Juvederm is a small amount (a half cc).  A full syringe (1 cc) is a better option and will not make you look fake at all.  In fact, it is not unusual for us to use two syringes to fill out the lips.  So I would recommend that you have one syringe at a minimum.  That way you won't feel that you need to go back and get more, and it will be a worthwhile present to yourself.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

One half vial of filler for lips

+1

You could do 1/2 of a vial (syringe) of Juvederm for lips but if you want to start slowly and not waste the second hal;f of the vial consider a half syringe of Restylane.  Juvederm only comes in full syringes, Restylane comes in half and full. 

Janet M. Neigel, MD
West Orange Oculoplastic Surgeon

Yes, half a Juvederm vial can help lips

+1
  • A half vial of Juvederm for the lips will give a nice improvement without looking done.
  • Have the doctor spread it evenly with slightly more in the lower lip than the upper. You will likely do fine with 1/2 to 3/4 of a tube and not look "done".
  • Give yourself a day or two for swelling to go down.
  • Bruising can happen, so avoid aspirin, advil, or fish-oil supplements for at least a week beforehand which can stimulate bleeding.

Keith Denkler, MD
Marin Plastic Surgeon