Jessner or TCA Peel for Red, Shallow Acne Scars?

What peel is better for red shallow acne scars Jessner peel or TCA peel? The scars left behind are "fresh" and still reddish. To reduce the inflammation, I was prescribed Desonide Lotion 0.05.I used it for about 2 weeks but after a while the redness returned.

True scars will not respond well to these types of peels

+1

True scars will not respond well to these types of peels. However early red spots from acne are often mis-interpreted as scars, when they are really temporary stains which will go away in time. Vascular lasers can hurry this process along.

Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Red scars respond to vascular laser treatments

+1

Red scars will respond to the vascular lasers. These lasers target reddness and reduce it. The vascular lasers also treat acne so if their is persistant acne with reddness this would be a good choice.

Afterward, when acne has been treated, would recommend resurfacing lasers and fillers for broad based scars. I feel these are more effective than chemcial peels.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Dr. S

Orange County Dermatologist

Acne scarring takes more than chemical peeling

+1

Unfortunately, I wouldn't expect either Jessners or TCA peeling to do much for your acne scarring. These peels are both light peels that only remove the epidermal layer... they don't go deep enough to affect scarring or the facial contour. When used in combination, they create a medium depth peel that goes deeper, but still doesn't help much with acne scarring.

Acne scars are successfully improved by many different modalities, depending on the type, location, depth, and age of the scar. Fractional laser resurfacing is likely to give you the best improvement in the scenario you described, but you really need to be evaluated in person to confirm that. I would, however, forego a TCA or Jessners peel. These can be great peels, but not for acne scarring.

Baton Rouge Dermatologic Surgeon