I Have No Jaw, my Neck Runs Straight to my Chin. What Can I Do?

I am very self conscious about my profile. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Options for a weak chin and jawline

+1
If there is a retrusive chin present a chin implant is the best option for this deficiency.  A neck lift can be performed, which removes fat above and below the platysmal muscle as well as a platysmaplasty to create a 90-degree angle to the neck.  Typically, for patients under the age of 50, a neck lift alone sufficient, while a face/neck lift is required for patients over the age of 50 due to skin laxity. For many examples of the combination of neck lift and chin implant, please see the link below to our neck lift photo gallery

You can expand the frame, tighten the canvas, or both...

+1

....I liken this situation to positioining a canvas on a frame. If the frame is too small, the canvas sags. If the frame is OK but the canvas sags anyway, the canvas should be firmed and the excess trimmed.

In practical terms, I lengthen the frame by placing a chin implant. If there are problems with the temperomandibular joints (the hinge joints of the jaw)  or the way the teeth come together (malocclusion) I have the patient see an oral surgeon for consideration of jaw surgery.

As far as the soft tissue (canvas) goes, if it sags I perform some type of lift - lower face and neck lift, neck tuck-up, or the MicroMini Lift TM I have developed. This depends on the patient's age and the amount of work to be done.

Liposuction of the area under the chin may need to be performed as well, either with a lift or by itself. Hope this helps.

Michael Godin, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck liposuction and chin implant work well together to lengthen the appearance of the jaw and sculpt the neckline

+1

Neck liposuction and chin implant work well together to lengthen the appearance of the jaw and sculpt the neckline. In general, this is very effective. Without photos, I cannot speak to your concerns, specifically. I would recommend a consultation with a board-certified Facial Plastic Surgeon or Plastic Surgeon to assess the suitability of these procedures for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Projection of Neck and Chin

+1

Without pictures that show your profile you basically have 2 choices to improve the relationship between your chin and anterior neck. You can either increase the projection of your chin with a chin implant or jaw advancement and/or reduce the projection of your neck with liposuction. An older patient may also benefit with repositioning and lifting of the platysma muscle under the chin.

No jaw treatment options

+1

A few options that may be beneficial in your case include chin augmentation, neck lift and/or neck liposuction. More could be said after seeing your neck and assessing your anatomy.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Neck and Jawline Reshaping

+1

Your problem description is a classic one and most likely could be improved by a chin implant and neck liposuction. If you are older, you may also benefit by some type of a jowl or necklift if there is loose skin. It would be very helpful to see a profile picture of you to give a more specific answer.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

No jawline

+1

There are a number of options that could could improve what you describe. If the the problem is a fatty neck with a receding chin, neck liposuction and a chin implant could be a great solution. You need to submit pictures to this site to invite more specific comments . Better yet, see an experienced surgeon who does these procedures.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon