Can a Jaw Implant Be Done Under a Local Anaesthetic ?

I would consider a jaw implant, but can it be done under a local anesthetic. What type of implant would widen my jaw?, What are the risks and do they need replacing after a certain period of time like breast implants do.

Jaw implant under local anesthesia

+1

Jaw implants can be placed under local anesthesia but this would be a very uncomfortable approach. Chin implants can be done more easily under local. In my opinion, both are better done under iv sedation.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implants can be placed under local anesthesia

+1

By "jaw Implant" do you mean a chin implant or a mandibular angle implant.

Chin implants are typically placed under local anesthesia with oral sedation, IV sedation, or with a general anesthetic. Mandibular angle implants most often use general anesthesia.

Both types of implants do not need to be replaced like breast implants as they are solid and form stable.

Jaw Implant and Local

+1

I do not feel a jaw implant can be placed and fixated with the techniques we presently utilize easily under local Anesthesia. Presently I think I would prefer general anesthesia for placement  of a jaw implant. This is different than a chin implant.

Web reference: http://www.plasticsurg.org

+1

This is a more complex operation than a chin implant as mentioned previously, but using local anesthesia is very much dependent on the patient as well as the surgeon. I do not use screws when placing these implants and have done so under local anesthesia. But, pure local anesthesia is what you get when you have your teeth worked on and in surgical operating room, we can occasionally augment this with oral medications that can make the procedure more tolerable. As long as no bone work is involved, then local anesthesia can be used in the right patient.

Web reference: http://www.cosmeticsurgery4you.com

Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jaw Angle Implants Require General Anesthesia

+1

When you refer to jaw implants for facial widening, I assume you are referring to jaw angle implants. Unlike chin implants which could be done under local anesthesia, such is not the same for jaw angle implants. These implants are placed from inside the mouth with an incision way back along the jawline, posing much more difficulty than placing chin implants. in addition, lifting up the large masseter muscle on each side of the jaw to place angle implants is not a  manuever that can be done very comfortably, if at all, under local anesthesia. 

Web reference: http://www.eppleyplasticsurgery.com/jawline.html

Chin implants can easily be done under local anesthesia.

+1

Chin implants give some of the best and most striking cosmetic improvement in the patient who is a good candidate for a chin implant, The procedure can be easily done under local anesthesia. While I prefer the sub mental incision (under the chin) it can also be done through the mouth. I prefer an extended silicon rubber  implant which I place under the periostium of the jaw bone. This will make the implant fix firmly to the bone and not be moveable.

With any surgical procedure there is always the risk of bleeding and infection which in this procedure is very rare. Also there can be nerve injury to the sensation of the lip and movement of the lip. These are extremely rare. Since all jaws are asymmetrical  the chin implant will always be a little crooked but it can be overly crooked but again this is rare. I have never seen a chin implant that needed to be replaced except for one that was not put in correctly or was infected. 

Web reference: http://www.drlentz.com/