Side Effects from Deep FX

I requested a Total FX treatment consisting of Deep FX and Active FX. I wanted an overall Deep FX treatment, but the doctor insisted on using Deep FX only on my "trouble areas", so I gave in to his direction. He then did an overall treatment of Active FX. Later, after the procedure when I got home, I saw the clearly defined large burnt dots on my throat which don't look like any Deep FX treatment I have ever seen. Is it possible that the doctor used the regular CO2 laser to burn the large dots on my throat instead of Deep FX? Will these burns take a while to heal, and will there be any scarring? Could I get an expert's opinion on this? Thanks in advance for your help!

Deep fx co2 laser

+1

Both Active and Deep FX are co2 fractionated laser technology.  Total FX is when both are used.  The deep FX makes smaller laser  burns- holes in the skin than the more superficial but larger burns- holes created with the Active modality.  Both the active and deep FX have many settings of density and energy which determine the overall treatment.  On the neck one has to be very careful with co2 laser resurfacing.  In my practice I only use the Deep FX on the face and not on the neck. On the neck I use Active FX on lower settings than on the face to avoid problems with wound healing and scaring.  Speak to your physician about post laser wound care.   

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Looks Like a Burn

+1

Thank you for the photo.  It does look like a burn.  In essence, we are intentionally burning the skin with both the Deep and Active FX lasers.  Based on the photos, it seems like the treatment was a bit more aggressive than your skin could tolerate.  Hopefully you will have already seen the doctor who administered the treatment.  There are burn creams that can be used.  Aloe from the plant is beneficial again.  Hard to tell in terms of long term scarring here.  I'd have to say that it is possible you will have some spots, although probably will get better over the months.

In answer to your question about using regular CO2 instead of fractional, this laser setting can be adjusted so the little pixel dots are sparse or are very dense.  So if you use a setting that is very dense, you do approach what the full on CO2 laser does--both in its benefits and in its risks.  One would have to look at the settings used to determine what occurred. 

Lisa Benest, MD
Burbank Dermatologist