Is It OK to Negotiate Cost with my Dermatologist?

I understand that her fees cover her expertise, but I also understand that these are tough economic times. The private school I teach in is negotiating with folks, so why wouldn't the dermatologist? I am thinking of having Restylane to smooth out some wrinkles. Thanks!

Negotiating costs with your surgeon

+2
While most of my fees are standard there are many patients who have been long time clients and have referred many patients to me that have been going through financial struggles and I am happy to give them a discount. I also have a soft spot in my heart for teachers and other under paid workers who work hard for the good of our society, so yes ask her it won't hurt. I try and accommodate all of my patients to the best of my ability!

Restylane Reductions

+1

It is fair to ask your dermatologist for a price reduction in light of the economy.  However, be fair and comparable. Don't compare prices of an aesthetician who may be illegally injecting restylane to a respected physician.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Negotiating fees

+1

Negotiating fees with yoru doctor is a tough subject to tackle.  A doctor's fees are set based upon the doctor's experience, costs, etc..  These are usually kept the same for all patients.  Tough call.

Negotiating procedure prices with Physician

+1

The answer to this depends on what type of relationship you have with your practitioner. If you are a long time patient who has less resources with which to continue your treatments then it may be a very easy conversation.

But if you are new to a practice, the conversation is not as easy. We would not necessarily advise it especially if you are speaking directly with your injector about the pricing. It's a touchy subject because trying to negotiate a cheaper deal right off the bat makes it a bit more difficult to feel like a trusted relationship is developing.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Negotiating cost with your doctor

+1

One has to be careful negotiating with your doctor since some doctors are offended by it. That said, if you have been a long-time client, have recommended your friends to the doctor, or are have several cosmetic treatments (e.g. several syringes of filler, filler + BOTOX, filler + laser), then it would be reasonable to broach this as a package deal of sorts. A specialist physician such as a dermatologist or plastic surgeon in some cases charge a little more than a much less trained individual, but like all good things in life, you indeed get what you pay for in terms of results and safety.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

It might be okay to negotiate cost, to an extent

+1

Negotiation could be okay to an extent. Pricing is usually carefully thought out and is set for a reason. Negotiation could get you somewhere but it could turn your doctor off and this could be a negative in your treatment in all honesty. You get what you pay for sometimes and this applies to everything. Choosing the right doctor is the most important thing. Even if you pay a little bit more, if the doctor takes care of you it will be worth it. He will bend over backwards for you if he feels he is being treated fairly.

Consulting a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon would be something that I would recommend. We specialize in the face and are highly qualified to help you with this.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon