Can IPL Cause Fat Loss if Used Undereyes?

I had one IPL treatment a couple days ago to treat undereye dark circles, procedure took 30 seconds. Now I am finding a bunch of reviews over the internet that say it can cause fat lose several weeks after treatment! Now Im worried because I already receive restylane injections under my eyes! Please answer!

IPL will not cause fat loss

+2

Intense pulsed light (IPL) is a superficial treatment useful for treating pigment variations and small blood vessels. Although filters can be used to alter the wavelength, and thus depth of penetration, none go beyond the dermis into the deeper tissues where fat is found. 

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

IPL is a good option for dark circles

+2

IPL is commonly used for pigment and vascular problems of the skin. IPL (intense pulsed light) does not penetrate beneath the dermis of the skin and, therefore, should have no effect on the underlying fatty tissue. In contrast, there are other devices on the market which you may have read about that can cause fat contour changes following treatment, which include; radio-frequency devices like Thermage and focused ultrasound treatments like, Ultherapy, where the contour change through fat reduction is the goal of the treatment.  It is possible that the reviews on the internet you are seeing may be referring to some of these other technologies and not to IPL.  There is no cause for concern about IPL causing fatty tissue loss.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

IPL for Pigment

+2

IPL works for pigmentary issues and some use it for hair removal.  It is superficial and will not affect your Restylane or your own fat under your skin.

Melanie L. Petro, MD
Alabama Facial Plastic Surgeon

IPL should not cause fat atrophy

+2

IPL does not come anywhere near the fat layers and will not injure the fat. Your internet reviews are made by ill informed people apparently. IPL does not even pass through all the layers of the skin and the fat is definately below the skin.

Harlow Hollis, MD
Victoria Plastic Surgeon

No, IPL will not cause fat loss under the eyes.

+2

IPL is a superficial, mostly colored light source that affects superficial vessels and pigment.  IPL does not change the deeper fat.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

IPL and fat atrophy

+1

I agree with others who responded.  Despite what you may have read, I do not think there is an association with IPL and fat atrophy.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon