How Does Invisalign Work on Teeth with Bonding?

I have a gap between my two front teeth. Seven years ago I had some bonding applied to close the gap. Well, the gap widened again, so now I have a gap between my bonding. I want Invisalign but I don't want to have my bonding removed right away because my natural space is wider than ever. Could I keep my bonding on until the Invisalign closes that, then have the bonding removed and continue with the Invisalign? My natural space is about twice the size of the space in the photo.

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Invisalign and Bonded teeth

+1

Yes, invisalign does work on teeth that have been bonded.  In fact we will often add bonding or "attachments that are made of bonding to help ttreatment goals.  You mah trim your bonding during treatment as we have to trim natural teeth during treatment often as well.  Probably you will want to have your bonding replaced with new bonding of veneers after your invisalign treatment.

Washington Cosmetic Dentist

Closing the space with bonding

+1

Teeth with bonding can definitely be moved with Invisalign.  That is not an issue.  The bigger issue is how to deal with the space the bonding is taking up.  The bonding can be gradually reduced as the space closes.  You will likely need to work closely with your doctor to be sure the case is submitted to the lab in a way that as the last bit of bonding is removed, new impressions can be taken to reflect the natural surface of the teeth to allow the final closure of the space so the teeth contact.  There are two things that come to mind in your particular case to be aware of:

1. Will your bite allow the space to close.  One thing I would look for is do your lower front teeth contact the back of your upper front teeth when you close together all the way.  If so, closing the space can be a good bit more challenging. 
  2. Keeping the space closed afterwards.  These mid-line spaces are notorius for re-opening...even slightly. Consider either bonding a small wire behind the teeth afterwards or having a frenectomy done to relieve the built-up pressure in the gums that can cause a space to creep back open.  Of course wearing a retainer will be critical too.

Good luck! 

Atlanta Orthodontist

Invisalign can easily close your gaps..

+1

The way to fix your space problem is as follows. Take impressions and submit to invisalign. Do treatment for about 5-6 months and close the gap. Then remove the bonding and take new impressions and send to Invisalign for a mid course correction. New aligners will be made to finalize the closure of your gap. This way your gap will never be that big and everyones happy.

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Progressive removal of bonding helps with the transition during Invisalign

+1

It is not unusual to remove bonding during the process of Invisalign or other methods of orthodontics.  It can be done all at once, or progressively at each appointment.  The progressive approach is a little more technique sensistive, as the lab technicians for invisalign may program more or less removal during the sequence of treatment, but it CAN be done.  There may be a slight fee increase to handle the added time involved.

Web reference: http://www.bestseattledentist.com

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

+1

Your case is not hard at all, if its managed with close attention you can definitely have the bonding  remove while going through Invisalign. You will be surprised how much improvement and faster results you can get with the treatment. Keeping your goals in mind any Invisalign certified provider can help you and get the smile of your dreams.

Fairfax Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign

+1

As long as you communicate your wishes before the treatment begins, your dentist and the lab can coordinate a treatment plan to allow your teeth to move while you slowly remove the old bonding.  If this is handled correctly, the last of the bonding should be able to be removed right before your last sets of aligners are placed.

Omaha Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign with Bonding

+1

If you prefer not to have all of the bonding removed prior to beginning the Invisalign treatment, then this can be communicated to the Invisalign laboratories so that a succession of ALIGNERS can be designed that will allow for gradual removal of the bonding thus closing the spaces completely without any bonding remaining at the end of treatment. You should be able to achieve a satisfactory result. Good Luck!

Mesa Cosmetic Dentist

Bonding and invisalign

+1

This is an easy problem...we can program progressive removal of the bonding throughout the Invisalign treatment so you will never have a large space showing.  Done right the space will be closed when the last of the bonding is removed during treatment

Saint Louis Orthodontist

Closing space with Invisalign

+1

The space between your upper front teeth is called a diasthema and is often hereditary.  Closing these spaces is typically not difficult, but keeping them closed can be.  Occasionally, a frenectomy (removal of the tiny band of muscle tissue between those front teeth) is recommended; however, that does not guarantee the space will remain closed.  If the muscle attachment or frenum is "active," failing to have it removed may guarantee the space will spring back open.  The frenectomy is a simple, in-office procedure, but one that requires careful attention to the soft tissue.

As for the bonding between your teeth, it would be ideal to remove it prior to closing the space.  It is possible to begin Invisalign with the bonding adhesive and close the space, then remove the adhesive (get new impressions and a new series of Invisalign trays) to finish closing the gap.  This may prolong the treatment process and possibly involve some additional fees.

Most importantly, is a game plan for after space closure.  Consultation between your orthodontic specialist and your dentist will determine if, in fact, all the space should be closed.  Sometimes, esthetic bonding or veneers are recommended instead of closing spaces so that the teeth fit together properly and are of the right size or shape.  Perhaps a "fixed or permanent" retainer wire, bonded to the back of the upper front teeth will be recommended.  At minimum, retainers to hold the teeth in position should be recommended to be worn periodically and indefinitely to keep spaces closed.

Portage Orthodontist