Can Invisalign Cause Locked Jaw?

I'm on my second set of retainers and my jaw locked up. It'snot locked open and its not locked closed, I just can't open my mouth all the way. It has been locked for about a week and a half.

Has this happened to anyone during their Invisalign treatment? If so, how did you correct it ?

Aligners or braces can precipitate TMJ Dysfunction

+2

Aligners or braces can precipitate TMJ Dysfunction.  Any tooth movement can be the tipping point if the TMJ's are not in a healthy position to begin with.  It could be a musclular reaction caused by the accomodation to a new bite, or it could be the limitation of movement caused by a displaced disc within the jaw joint.  Have your Invisalign dentist evaluate the situation and seek help from someone who knows what they are doing.  Please know that the problem can be resolved.

Denver Orthodontist

TENS and then decide

+1

You should seek a dentist that will TENS you to determine what is happening. Invisalign probably revealed your true condition, and is not a cause of your problem.

Once the muscles are relaxed, you should be able to determine what the next step should be.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist