With Invisalign, is It Okay to Drink Liquids Other Than Water?

This is just my 2nd day with Invisalign. The little bit of discomfort is going away. I was told to ONLY drink water when the braces are in, due to the possibility of causing decay. My question is this, how could other liquids (with sugar,etc.) present a problem if I will be brushing within 4-5 hours? Lots of people(without Invisalign) eat candy, etc. and don't brush until 12 or more hours later. Seems to me, exposure for only 4-5 hours can't possibly present much of a problem. Does it really need to be water-only when they're in?

Drinking with Invisalign

+3

The aligners can trap liquid next to the teeth and cause decay.

My recommendation is to brush the aligners daily, your teeth 3 times a day and do not consume drinks that are high in calories.

If you are going to have 5 sugars in your coffee 7 times a day then getting fat is probably a bigger worry.

I've been wearing my retainers daily now for 5 years, I drink lager, hot chocolat, wine and tea etc. and Ive never had any staining or decay.

London Cosmetic Dentist

Avoid sugar if you will not have access to a tooth brush

+3

The aligners make it difficult for saliva to wash the tooth structure thereby making your teeth more susceptible to tooth decay. 

If you need to have fluids other than water make sure you brush before you place the aligners back into your mouth.

Ryan Sellinger, DMD
Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

Stick with water.

+2

You should avoid drinks with sugar, acid and color.  This leaves water.

You can always take your invisalign out if you wish to consume any other liquids, but make sure you clean your teeth or at least rinse with water before you replace them.

Steve Alper, DMD
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Drinking beverages with Invisalign in place....

+1
Hello there, 
It is okay to drink beverages with your Invisalign in place, but I always recommend to my patients to take them out and rinse thoroughly with water, shortly after finishing your beverage.  Whether you take them out or leave them in while drinking doesn't really matter much.  What is more important is are you leaving sugar on your teeth under your aligner.  I would recommend trying to drink more water and brushing your teeth more frequently (once after each meal).  It is important to really take care of your oral hygiene when using Invisalign.

Sarah Thompson, DMD
Saint Louis Cosmetic Dentist

Most clear liquids acceptable, temperature important

+1
Most clear liquids are acceptable to drink with the aligners in the mouth unless they are hot. Temperature may affect the shape and fit of the aligners so it is important to stay away from hot liquids.

As long as they are brushing and flossing their teeth regularly and keeping them clean, I allow my patients who use Invisalign to drink clear liquids with the aligners in the mouth.

Make certain that if you are drinking liquids containing sugar, you brush and floss your teeth frequently.

Janet H. Stoess-Allen, DMD
New York Orthodontist

Drink Only Water With Invisalign Trays Seated

+1

Invisalign is wonderful!  One of the many advantages to Invisalign is that you can eat and drink almost anything you like.  However, while your trays are seated (in your mouth) please refrain from drinking anything other than water.  Most other liquids have a combination of sugar and/or acid.  Obviously, these are things you do not want sitting on your teeth under your Invisalign trays.

Jo Hansen, DMD
Lee's Summit Orthodontist

What to drink while wearing Invisalign

+1

The recommendation is to only drink water while wearing the aligners. There is a possibility of tooth decay if your saliva cannot wash away the sugary liquid and it becomes trapped in your aligners for 4-5 hours.

With that said, I have numerous patients who cannot function without 4 cups of coffee or tea a day. They drink coffee/tea with their aligners in place and the aligners get stained. 

You should limit yourself to water. If you choose to not follow the recommendations then you are assuming the risk of the aligners discoloring or developing tooth decay.

Sylvan Fain, DDS
Miami Cosmetic Dentist

Beverages and Invisalign

+1

I highly recommend sticking with water.  Any beverage that is colored can discolor your aligner over time as well as your teeth.  Sugary drinks will contribute to plaque formation confined in the aligner and lead to cavities and bad breath.  So stick to sugar free, colorless drinks with your aligners in...aka Water.

Cate Vieregger, DDS
Denver Cosmetic Dentist

Recommendation is for water only...

+1

Only water should be consumed if you are wearing your aligners.  Normally, your teeth have the saliva to cleanse them between meals.  With the aligners on, you are creating a situation where the teeth have acid-causing agents to be trapped against them.

While you may "get away" with consuming some other beverages with them on and rinsing out, just beware of the risks.

We have a couple of patients, including dental professionals, who had never had a single cavity until they decided to "cheat" with their aligners on.  Good luck!

Jason K. Tam, DDS
Toronto Orthodontist

Okay to drink other liquids after Invisalign

+1

Please use a straw and rinse the aligners out when you can. You get new aligners every 2 weeks or so, so dont worry about staining.

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist