Internal Stitches Showing Outside of Skin Of Eyelids

I am post bilateral blepharoplasty by 12 days. DR removed external stitches at 8 days. Now I notice on both eyelids stitches that are on the outside of both eyelids. I can see the knots as well. I see at least 2 knots on each eyelid maybe more. He said that there were internal stitches but I did not think I should be able to see them. I find it hard to believe that he missed all of these. Please advise.

Visible sutures on eyelids

+1

There are frequently sutures placed  internally in eyelid surgery but they are not typically  visible under the skin.  Sometimes some chromic gut sutures are placed in fat to rearrange the fat pads.  They should dissolve in the next ten days.  Confer with your board certified plastic surgeon about this.

Talmage J. Raine MD FACS

+1

As most of the expert posters have stated, very unusual to have internal sutures in a blepharoplasty. unless you had a ptosis repair. seek opinions. 

Go back a see your surgeon.

+1

There are not a whole lot of sutures needed for blepharoplasty.  Once the external sutures are removed, that should be it.  If you are still seeing suture, it is possible that fragments of suture were left.  This can be exposed as swelling resolve, though a bit unusual.  Your surgeon will get to the bottom of this.

Sutures after blepharoplasty

+1

Sutures after upper eyelid rejuvenation can be a dissolving suture, or a 'pullout' suture that is removed after several days. We don't know what kind of internal sutures you might have that are coming through. Best to have your surgeon take a look. What he can see he can remove if necessary.

peterejohnsonmd

Visible sutures after blepharoplasty

+1

If these are infact internal sutures, they are likely dyed and the subdermal suture is placed very close to the skin causing the suture's color to show through a thin upper eyelid skin. Although this is highly unusual, it is not detrimental and will not cause any long term problems as internal sutures are usually disolvable. However, if after 4-6 weeks, you are still bothered by the appearance of the sutures, your surgeon can removed them in the office under local anesthesia. Discuss this with your surgeon but I believe patience at this time is the best course of action.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unusual to have internal sutures showing after blepharoplasties

+1

It is unusual to have internal sutures showing after eyelid surgery.  If they are indeed showing, then a simple operation can be done to remove them so that they do not show anymore.  That might be a procedure that your plastic surgeon can do under local anesthesia in his office.

James Tang, MD