Does Insurance Normally Cover Vitiligo Treatment?

I've had vitiligo for a few years now and it's getting worse. I want to try some treatments to see if I can get rid of it or at least stop it from continuing to get worse, but I'm afraid I won't be able to afford it because from what I understand vitiligo requires long-term treatment. Does insurance normally cover treatment for vitiligo?

Perhaps

Insurance will generally cover the medical treatment of vitiligo including topical treatments. However, coverage of laser or IPL treatment of vitiligo is problematic. This would depend on the individual company. I have found that about half of companies will cover such treatment. 

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Vitiligo and insurance

Insurance generally does cover the treatment of vitiligo. In our area, we occasionally need to obtain prior authorization from the insurance company for certain treatments such as narrow-band uvb phototherapy, but they will usually reimburse for such therapy.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist