Infection in Maxillary Sinus. What Surgery is Available to Fix This?

They have tried me on antibiotics and nothing has worked. I had a CT scan which confirmed the infection and am waiting to see my eNT again. I also have a deviated septum. I have constant Post Nasal drip which causes swelling in my throat. It is horrible. Is surgery the next step? What procedure should I expect and how much will it cost?

Maxillary Sinus Infection Treatment

+2

Surgery is usually reserved as the last option. If you don't have a long history of allergies and sinus problems or if you haven't exhausted all medical therapeutic options (including antihistamine and nasal steroid sprays) then you should not consider surgery yet. You need to be very thoroughly examined with endoscopes to asses the opening of your sinuses to make sure it's clear, why your sinuses have become blocked and therefore infected. 

Sinus surgery

+1
Endoscopic sinus surgery is performed on patients when medical management has failed and there is documented polps and chronic infection in the sinuses.  This surgery is billed to the patient's medical insurance, once medical neccessity has been documented.  Please see the link below for more information

Chronic maxillary sinus infection treatment

+1

A sinus surgery procedure called "maxillary antrostomy" can be done to help with chronic maxillary sinus infections that fail medical treatment. This type of surgery can be done along with a septoplasty to straighten a deviated septum.

Your ENT should be able to help you decide whether surgery is the next step. It depends o how long you've had symptoms. It sounds like this is a chronic issue, certainly.

You can learn more about sinus surgery at my web reference link below. I've also attached a short video that shows how we are able to endoscopically open up the cheek sinus. Good luck with everything!

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Treatment for maxillary sinusitis

+1

The bacteriology in chronic maxillary sinusitis is different than the other sinuses, particularly Staphylococcus and anaerobic organisms so it is important to be on antibiotics that cover these.  Sometimes the addition of oral steroids can reduce swelling enough to allow it to drain.  Make sure it is not coming from the teeth.  If antibiotics don't work then irrigating the sinus can flush out the bacteria.  If that doesn't help then it is very easy to restore the maxillary sinus opening something that can easily be done in the office under local anesthesia.  If there is concomitant ethmoid sinusitis that will need to be addressed.  If the septum is pushing over the middle turbinate and uncinate process then it may need to be straightened simultaneously.  Best wishes, Dr. Loury

Mark Loury, MD
Fort Collins Facial Plastic Surgeon

Maxillary sinus infection

+1

Maxillary sinus infection is not necessarily a reason for surgery, however, if it is chronic infection, then you may be a candidate for endoscopic sinus surgery or balloon plasty. Sometimes, a change in antibiotic may be the answer but I recommend follow up with your doctor until a final diagnosis is found.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sinus Infection That Does Not Respond to Antibiotics May be Fungal

+1

It is always concerning when a patient that has a CT documented infection does not respond to antibiotics.  It typically will indicate that your physicians are missing something.  One of the more common problems is fungal sinusitis.  Ask your ENT if this may be a possibility.  Other causes include polyps, dental infections or nasal growths.  

It sounds as if you are getting to the end of medical options and surgery would be the next step.  For isolated maxillary sinus disease, opening this sinus alone may be enough.  The cost will vary on the extent of surgery and anesthetic given.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon