Why Do my 375cc Silicone Implants Look Only Like a Small C Cup? (photo)

Started apprx. 33A and wanted to achieve a very full C/small D cup (generally speaking since I realize the cup system is faulty, but that's what people not in the medical field know to go by). Two days ago I got 375cc silicone implants subglandular. I tried on a C cup bra that I used to wear when I was pregnant and I still had room! ahhh and I was told they would probably look a bit small after swelling goes down! (Although I keep ice packs going so I don't notice swelling). Is this normal??

350 - 399 cc implants would be expected to take an A cup to a C cup in most instances

+2

For most women, I would expect that you are right in the ballpark as far as hitting your C cup goal with 375 cc implants.  At 2 days it is very difficult to tell what your final size will be though. Believe it or not, I am often fooled this early on by the "optical illusion" created by swelling.  The surrounding tissues swell, and this makes the breasts themselves look proportionally smaller and the bra fit differently.  A few weeks later after swelling resolves, the surrounding tissues go down, but the breasts now appear FULLER relative to the rest of the area, which is what we want.  I would be patient and allow things to soften and settle, and in the end, if it turns out you still want to be bigger, it's not the end of the world to change the implants to a slightly larger size.  It's not what any of us wants to think about, but from time to time it happens, and it's not a huge deal.  Having said that though, it is really not common, and it will probably not be the case with you either.

Cup size after breast augmentation

+2

Thanks for your question and pictures.  It does look like you have a nice result so far after surgery.  It is way too early to make any judgments about size and result so early after surgery.  As the implants settle and the tissues stretch to accommodate the implants, the projection may increase.  Wait at least 3 months and preferably 6 months before considering any revision surgery based on results.  Good luck.

Naveen Setty, MD

Breast size after augmentation

+2

Thank you for your question and photos.  The final size cup size of breasts after augmentation is an area of great angst with patients.  While it is nice to have a goal cup size that you relay to your plastic surgeon, it can be difficult to hit the exact size you have idealized.  There are many methods employed to try to get as close as possible but none are perfect.  In your case, that one bra may be loose but others may not be.  In evaluating your photos, you have a very nice result and nice shape to the breasts.  That in itself is very valuable.  You are still very early in the post-operative period.  As things settle over the next few months, your size and shape can change a bit.  Give your body time to recover.  You will likely be very pleased with the results and enjoy shopping for some new bras.

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Cup size concern

+2

Being only 2 days since surgery, you have some time (2 months plus) before seeing the final result as your tissues will relax.

As you have said, the cup system can be variable but looking at your torso I think you will be a C/D size (pending bra brand) when you have healed and have better shape too.

Regards,

Dr Kevin Ho

Kevin Ho, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Bra size after 375 cc implants

+2

It is really too early to determine your cup size.  With time, the breast tissue and skin often relax which makes the breasts look larger and project forward better.  I would give 3-6 months and maintain communication with your surgeon.  Best of luck. 

Laurence Weider, MD

Concerns about Breast Size after Breast Augmentation?

+2

Although your concern/confusion is understandable, you should be aware that it is much too early to evaluate the end results of the procedure performed. It is not uncommon for patients to feel that their breasts are too small or ( less frequently) too big  early on after surgery.  Most often, these same patients will go on to be very pleased with the longer-term outcome of the procedure performed.

In my experience, as breast implants “settle” the  breasts do seem to be larger in size (“drop and fluff”).

At this point, my best suggestion would be to continue to exercise patience and to continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon. Evaluate the end results of the breast augmentation procedure approximately 6 months down the line;  hopefully you will be very pleased at that time.  As you mentioned, wise not to evaluate the end results of surgery ( or base your level of satisfaction) on achieving a specific cup size or filling a certain bra.

C cup after 375cc implants

+2
Sorry that you are unhappy with the size of your breasts after your breast augmentation. Sizing can be somewhat inaccurate regardless of the process that is used. Using a larger old bra with sizers seems to be a reasonable way to figure out an implant size that would meet your goals. If you had room to spare in your old C cup bra using sizers, I'm not sure why you and your surgeon didn't find a somewhat larger sized sizer that fully filled your bra prior to surgery. But, if it's any consolation to you, you do have a very good result. Thank you for sharing your photos and concerns. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD

What size am I?

+1

You are only 2 days out from your surgery so don't rush to judgement. As you said there is not a direct correlation between implant volume in cc's and cup size.  Far too many women get hung up on cup size, when you should concentrate on what looks good to you.  Your early result looks good. The implants are well positioned and symmetrical.  Wait for the swelling to abate before jumping to conclusions.  You shouldn't do anything for 3-6 months anyway.  Also remember different bras fit differently.  There is no uniformity from one bra company to another.  Again concentrate on what looks good to you in the mirror and so far it looks good, and if that isn't enough look at your before photos.  I always give a copy of the patient's before photos to them early after surgery so they don't forget what they used to look like.

Randy Proffitt, MD
Mobile Plastic Surgeon

Cup sizes after breast augmentation

+1

There are two basic problems with determining cup sizes after breast augmentation surgery.  You mentioned the first one - the fact that bra manufacturers do not have standard cup sizes.  The second problem is that there is no formula for translating implanted volume to cup size.  Different doctors have different ways to determine the appropriate volume to use in order to get you into the cup size you want but it is more of an art than a science and, unfortunately, no one can guarantee you a cup size. 

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Why Do my 375cc Silicone Implants Look Only Like a Small C Cup?

+1

Unfortunately the size choice was took small. At least a 450 cc ignorant is needed in my opinion. Sorry.