Will an Incision Inside the Mouth Heal Faster Than Under the Chin After a Chin Implant?

I read that saliva helps with the healing process. (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080723094841.htm). Would this be true for faster recovery of a chin implant made through the mouth?

External is better

+2

The mouth is the dirtiest part of your body, bar none. Putting an implant throug the mouth unnecessarily increases the risk of infection and also increases the risk of the implant migrating upward and damaging the tooth roots. A good surgeon can make a scar on the bottom of the chin very hard to see.

White Plains Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implants... Best incision?

+1

I have been performing chin augmentations for many years, using both the external (beneath the chin) and end-oral (In the mouth, lower lip sulcus) approaches, and I have a good familiarity with each. I must say that the greater chance of infection attributed with the end-oral approach is often overstated and doesn't really occur with significant frequency.

The actual healing times following the two incisional approaches, when compared, are very similar, and I don't think the "saliva in the mouth" factor is important.

The more important issue for most patients is the prospect of getting back into social circles, without others being able to notice the recent surgery. On this basis, the incision hidden inside the mouth wins out. The incision under the chin may remain pinkish for many weeks following the surgery!

Charles Gruenwald, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Incision in the mouth vs chin

+1

Incisions in the mouth do heal quickly, however, there are positives and negatives to both approaches.  Incisions in the mouth don't leave an external scar, however, there is a slightly higher chance of infection since the mouth has a lot of bacteria.  Also, the muscles of the chin need to be carefully sutured to prevent any distortion of the chin.

An external approach allows the surgeon to directly access the chin.  Although there is a small scar it is easily hidden.  There is less chance of infection and therefore is my preferred approach.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

Chin implant incisions

+1

In my opinion, the external approach is better because the area where the incision is made inside the mouth is a veritable sesspool of bacteria and more prone to infection.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS