Can I Use Ice Packs to Help Reduce Swelling After a Tummy Tuck?

I had a full tummy tuck with lipo 1 wk ago & I have a lot of painful swelling. I'm wearing my compression garment 24/7 like I'm supposed to. I still have the drains in. I'm wondering if using ice will help with swelling. I haven't read anything here about using ice, but other sites say not to. Why

Avoid ice packs to belly after tummy tuck

+1

Patients who undergo tummy tucks may lose feeling in their lower abdomen. In some instances this may prevent them from knowing when the ice packs are "too cold". This can cause problems and therefore, it is best to avoid application of ice to the area. The swelling will likely take time to resolve.

Ice after surgery

+1

Be very careful about using ice or cool packs after surgery - make sure it is done only if your surgeon agrees for use of ice.  After many plastic surgical operations (such as tummy tucks, face lifts, and breast lifts) certain regions of skin will be numb.  Applying ice excessively may lead to frostbite and skin death.  Do not make this decision on your own - ask your surgeon!

Dr.B

Web reference: http://www.surgery.org/consumers/plastic-surgeon/michael-bogdan

Not a lot of swelling one week after tummy tuck.

+1

Hi.

You should not have a lot of swelling one week after tummy tuck.  You might have a hematoma.  See your surgeon right away.  In any case, I am afraid ice will not do anything.

Ice packs to help reduce swelling after a tummy tuck

+1

If after 1 week the ice will not really help you. But it might make you feel better psychologically. You should check with the surgeon and follow that protocol ONLY.

From MIAMI DR.B