Can I Use Ice Packs to Help Reduce Swelling After a Tummy Tuck?

I had a full tummy tuck with lipo 1 wk ago & I have a lot of painful swelling. I'm wearing my compression garment 24/7 like I'm supposed to. I still have the drains in. I'm wondering if using ice will help with swelling. I haven't read anything here about using ice, but other sites say not to. Why

+1
Best to run these types of questions by your plastic surgeon who knows your situation best and is ultimately responsible for your care. Regardless, patients should be very careful about applying cold or heat to recently operated upon areas; these areas will likely be numb and can potentially be damaged by  excessive cold/heat that the patient does not sense . Therefore, in my practice, I ask patients not to apply either cold packs or heating pads  directly upon surgical sites. Again, your plastic surgeon will be your best resource. Best wishes; hopefully, you will be very pleased with the long-term outcome of the procedure performed.

Ice to reduce swelling

+1
Because the skin in the treated area may be numb temporarily it's not a good idea to apply ice packs as you could inadvertently give yourself frostbite. To alleviate swelling continue to wear your compression garment, drink plenty of fluids and go to the washroom regularly, cut back on sodium intake and and leisurely walk to keep your circulation going. Talk I your surgeon as well for their advice on how to help with swelling. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Avoid ice packs to belly after tummy tuck

+1

Patients who undergo tummy tucks may lose feeling in their lower abdomen. In some instances this may prevent them from knowing when the ice packs are "too cold". This can cause problems and therefore, it is best to avoid application of ice to the area. The swelling will likely take time to resolve.

Ice after surgery

+1

Be very careful about using ice or cool packs after surgery - make sure it is done only if your surgeon agrees for use of ice.  After many plastic surgical operations (such as tummy tucks, face lifts, and breast lifts) certain regions of skin will be numb.  Applying ice excessively may lead to frostbite and skin death.  Do not make this decision on your own - ask your surgeon!

Dr.B

Michael A. Bogdan, MD, FACS

Ice packs to help reduce swelling after a tummy tuck

+1

If after 1 week the ice will not really help you. But it might make you feel better psychologically. You should check with the surgeon and follow that protocol ONLY.

From MIAMI DR.B

Not a lot of swelling one week after tummy tuck.

+1

Hi.

You should not have a lot of swelling one week after tummy tuck.  You might have a hematoma.  See your surgeon right away.  In any case, I am afraid ice will not do anything.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)