I Smoke, I Had Botox in my Mouth and in my Chin and Now I'm Almost Drooling! How Long It Last? Please Help!

I'm 46. I hat botox injections 2 weeks a go. My Dr. told me He put 2 x0,5 units not in the corners and not in the "filter" of my upper lip and 2 x 0,25 unit in the same location in my lower lip also 1 unit in the tip of my chin. I feel very weak in my mouth but I'm afraid I will be drooling.....soon. I'm very distress please let me know if this treatment was good and how long should I expect to recover Thanks

Post Botox Drooling

+1

Thank you for your question. Botox can last up to 3 months.  Perioral and chin area can be treatable with Botox but temporary side effects an include muscle weakness which may manifest as difficulty in sipping from a straw, speaking certain sounds, and drooling. Be sure to get treated under the supervision of a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for best and safest results.  I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Drooling after Botox

+1

I often warn my patients of a feeling like this. You may find it difficult to pronounce certain words or letters, pucker your lips, sip from a straw, or of course...smoke. This is because the muscles around the mouth responsible for these motions are relaxing, and it is an odd sensation to get used to. Providing your physician did not inject too much, this feeling should resolve in a few weeks, especially because you frequently pucker the lips to smoke, I'm assuming. 

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Botox around the mouth

+1

Most patients love the effects of Botox around the mouth to soften lip lines.  You had a very small amount of Botox used but it is still possible to feel stiffness and perhaps drool for 2-3 weeks.  The result will not last very long for you since you smoke.  See how you like the result in another week or so.  You can have even less Botox injected next time or choose to avoid this area.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Botox and mouth lines

+1

It is very difficult to answer your question without first viewing a photo of before and after treatment. It is common to use Botox around your mouth to settle down lip lines and in the chin to decrease the incidence of skin puckering in that area. Sounds like the Botox whether improperly injected to too much of it - has moved into other muscles that are responsible for lifting the lower lip. It can last 3 months or longer - but if the amount was small, it can be much sooner.

Sam Naficy, MD

Drooling after Botox

+1

Drooling can develop after you get Botox in the lips. Botox in the lips shoudl be done judiciously for fine lip lines .  If overdone it can lead to drooling.  It may take several weeks for this to improve.

Botox around mouth

+1

Ugh, this is why I don't like Botox around the mouth. Done with either too much, or in the incorrect placement, can result in just this - muscle impairment which can leave people drooling, unable to speak correctly, unable to use a straw, etc. Unfortunately, it sounds like this is what has happened to you. The positive thing is that Botox is temporary and done with a minimal amount, around the mouth, which does move a lot, should result in the overdone parts lasting for a shorter amount of time, but truly, Botox effects can last up to 3-4 months.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD