I Have Moles DPN All over my Face and Body. I Absolutely Hate Them and Need Them Remove, but my Insurance Will Not Pay. FED UP?

Mole Removal with Lasers

+1
DPNs or Dermatosis Papulosis Nigricans are cosmetic moles that can grow on your face and neck.  They are entirely cosmetic and no insurance companies will pay for their removal.  Some patients have dozens and others have hundreds.  It may take more than one session to remove all of them if you have hundreds.  Please find someone experienced in their removal so that you do not have scars from their removal.  Find a board certified dermatologist in your area.

DPN procedure for mole removal

+1

DPN treatment is usually cosmetic and hence you have the option of paying for the procedure. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Removal of dermatosis papulosa nigra is cosmetic...and worth paying for!

+1

Dermatosis papulosa nigra, also known as DPNs, is a common condition, especially in people of color.  The condition usually runs in families and the lesions are easy to remove using a hyfrecator or a scissors.  Costs will vary.  Some people charge by the lesion e.g. $25/lesion or by the batch e.g. $300 for 10.  As cosmetic procedures go, DPN removal is generally affordable and in my experience, very satisfying for the patient.  One does not have to remove every lesion to see a major difference.  Make sure this procedure is done by  licensed health professional.  I don't believe it is legal for aestheticians to perform this procedure in many states. 

Dina D. Strachan, MD

DPN removals can change a person's appearance dramatically

+1

It is so easy to get those ugly DPNs removed. Most are easily curretted off and heal up beautifully. Cost is roughly $350 for the face and $350 for the neck. Often the face and neck are done at the same time and they usually heal up like nothing was every there but new ones will come with time. Expect to do this every 3-5 yrs. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Options for removing DPN - Dermatosis Papulosa Nigra

+1

This is a relatively common condition principally in darker-skinned people. It consists of multiple, small pigmented papules on the face and neck. It tends to run in families. Bill Cosby would be a good example of this condition, as would Morgan Freeman.

Treatment is for cosmetic concerns only and consists of shaving the lesions off (if they are larger) or using light electrocauterization. This is why your insurance won't pay to have them removed. The sites are benign, so insurance considers removal cosmetic, and will not pay. Initially, only a few should be removed to be sure there is no hypo or hyperpigmentation afterwards

If you'd like to have them removed you could see a dermatologist or dermatologic surgeon and discuss pricing options, especially since you will need several procedures.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD