I Had Botox in my Masseters 2 Days Ago, when I Can Expect to Notice Any Effect? (photo)

I had botox injected into my masseters for jaw reduction and to stop my clenching and grinding two days ago. I don't see or feel any change yet. Can you tell me when I can expect to notice any changes and what they might be? The doctor said I should probably come back in 9 month's time for more injections but I don't know how much botox he used, he injected at 4 sites on both sides.

Botox Results in Masseter

+1
Botox usually takes 2 or 3 days to start to work, and will continue to improve over the first 7 to 10 days. Once the effect starts to wear off, you will need a repeat treatment to maintain results. Some find that the effects last longer after having multiple treatments, even up to a year.

Muscle thinning in the masseters for teeth clenching may take a while after Botox treatment

+1

Usually Botox injected in the masseter muscles can minimize teeth clenching, not grinding. After the clenching diminishes, the muscle starts to become less hypertrophied, or bulky. Just like a weight lifter who stops working out; the muscles are still going to be bulky for a while. There is a gradual diminishing of girth.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox and Dysport for masseter reduction, "V-line"

+1

You won't see a change until about 7-10 days.  Depending on the dosage used by your physician, and where in the body of the masseter muscle he injected, the degree of "tapering" and change will vary.  Typically 4-5 injections are performed on each side along the inferior border of the muscle, but taking the injections more superiorly does help to enhance the final result.  The Botox will have worn off in 3-4 months, so 9 months is too long to wait for a repeat injection.  Even with the largest muscles you will see a visible reduction in size with proper technique after one injection, though you may not achieve the maximal reduction possible with Botox until you have had 2-3 sessions.    

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Give the Botox a few more days to take affect for relief and results

+1

Hi and great question! Botox does take a few days (7-14 average) to take affect and it is not concerning yet that you haven't noticed change. Always be confident that you can follow up with your provider after 2 weeks if you aren't noticing relief or affect. Dosage is commonly communicated in our practice for patient education purposes, but it's a benefit to you and your provider to have excellent communication so the appropriate dosage is administered. I also agree that 9 months seems a lengthy distance between appointments as the Botox will commonly wear off 3-4 months following treatment. There are patients who do see longer effects with treatment, but once you get the first concern out of the way- being certain that the Botox is dosed appropriately and you have results you're pleased with- it will also benefit you to assess yourself 3-4 months from now. With repeated treatments of Botox, the muscles do not have the opportunity to gain full strength and go back to "pre-treatment" state. This is true of dynamic muscle activity anywhere Botox is effective. Again, it's too early to worry about the treatment you just received, but don't ever hesitate a follow up to the office 14 days following treatment if you're unsatisfied with the results. Sometimes a few more units are needed and it's best to not overtreat initially. It's also not a good idea to assess too early, or before the 2 week period. I hope this brings confidence in the treatment and helps you to know experiencing little change thus far is very normal.

Gregory Mesna, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

BOTOX Cosmetic takes a week to work

+1

BOTOX Cosmetic is a great treatment for overactive muscles, but takes an average of 7 days to see an effect.  You should notice some weakness in the muscle at that point, although a decrease in muscle size can take several treatments spaced 3 months apart.  It is normal not to notice any change at 2 days.  If you still don't have the effect you want at 2 weeks, follow up with your doctor so he/she can see how you responded to the treatment, and make any adjustments needed.  Best of luck.

David Magilke, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for masseter hypertroophy treatment

+1

Masseter hypertrophy treatment with Botox requires multiple treatments before seeing a true effect( flattening of the muscle). Yes, the Botox starts working in one to two weeks, but it may require several treatments over a year's period to see some thinning.

You Will Be Happy With The Botox Injections Into Your Masseter Muscles Next Week

+1

The earliest we see an effect from Botox  is about 3 days. It takes 7-14 days to get the full effect. A little bit more patience and you should be able to see a nice result. Your comment about 9 months is a bit unusual in that in most people the Botox effect starts to wear off in about 3 months (although I have had a few patients in whom the Botox lasted for almost 6 months). There does seem to be an advantage to re-injecting the Botox as soon as it starts to wear off. By doing this, the muscle starts to atrophy allowing your doctor to use less Botox in the ensuing injections (saving you money- it's not often you hear that from a cosmetic surgeon). Enjoy your results next week and consider going back for a repeat injection sooner than the 9 months initially recommended.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

I Had Botox in my Masseters 2 Days Ago, when I Can Expect to Notice Any Effect?

+1

Depending on the dose, of Botox, used anywhere from several weeks to a couple of months.

Botox for facial contour

+1

Assuming this is your first injection of Botox, you should start feeling the effects within 2 weeks. Without knowing how many units were injected to your masseters, it's difficult to say how much of a reduction you'll see over the course of the next few months. I would check in with your provider when you start to feel like you can clench and grind again, (the Botox is wearing off), then determine how much contouring was achieved and formulate a long-term maintenance plan.

Sam Naficy, MD

Botox and Masseters Muscle

+1

Most of my patients begin to see and feel the effects within two weeks. That muscle is extremely strong and so it does require a bit longer than the forehead muscles to fully react. It will get better, but you should start noticing things changing within a few weeks. You will notice a lessening of the tension in that muscle and less of the strain. I usually see people back within 6 months, especially ones I treat for TMJ, because they can start feeling the Botox wearing off about that point and I prefer they don't get back to baseline again, and so do they!

F. Victor Rueckl, MD