Botox to Prevent Wrinkles?

I'm 25 and wondering if getting botox will prevent my faint wrinkles from increasing. Any research done on this?

Botox for prevention

+2

I agree with the previous comments.  More and more, I am seeing patients in their 20's taking a proactive approach in treating and preventing wrinkles with the use of Botox or Dysport.  Combine this with good skin care, sunscreen, a healthy liftestyle and you can help prevent most wrinkles from getting worse and prevent new ones from forming.  Prevention is KEY!

Rogers Dermatologist

A perfect plan...

+1

if you prevent the wrinkles from forming there's every reason to believe you'll have nicer, smoother, younger looking skin as you grow older...kind of like the situation with sun exposure...even at your young age, compare the skin quality on the outside versus the inside of your arm...see the discoloration and damage already...so prevent permanent creases as best you can by appropriately timed botox injections...however deciding when to start is the issue...certainly when you begin to notice the faintest lines may be the time to start with small doses...

Ken Landow, MD

Botox to prevent wrinkles

+1

Many people ask if they can do Botox to prevent wrinkles. Botox helps reduce the wrinkles that are present from muscular contraction but does not help treat those wrinkles that are present from sundamage on areas that normally don't contract. If you see a tendency in your face to develop some frown lines when making certain expressions, then by treating this area, such as between the eyebrows, with Botox, Xeomin or Dysport, and continuing every three to four months before the muscles awaken, you can reduce the development of wrinkles. However, these type of wrinkles are not difficult to treat, if you seek treatment once they develop, so you can save money if you're young, by waiting for them to occur. Use sunscreen daily to minimize the sun-damage that is cumulative, but remember to take your vitamin D3. Ask your doctor how much you should take.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox treatment to Help Prevent WrinkleS

+1

It is reasonable for someone in their 20s to consider Botox for treatment and prevention of future wrinkles.  The product helps minimize the appearance of the current lines as well as weaken the muscles to prevent the production/worsening of wrinkles in the affected area.  And at such a young age, you should also make sure you are getting adequate sun protection.  I recommend using a sunblock containing zinc oxide and titanium dioxide daily. Using an antioxidant like Vitamin C can also be a good preventative.  Retin A can also help with fine lines around the eye area (crows feet) but not as effective on the forehead and glabella (frown lines).

Usha Rajagopal, MD

Wrinkles and botox

+1

Doing botox will prevent the chronic long twerm creasing that occcurs when you frwon.Also keeping your skin healthy will help as well ie lessen sun exposure.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Fillers When Started Early Can Slow the Formation and Development of Wrinkles

+1

In the over twenty-one years since I started using Botox for aesthetic reasons, I have seen a consistent trend that suggests that the earlier one starts, the slower the aging process.

It makes intuitive sense. Every day, we use our muscles of facial expression thousands of times--with each laugh, scowl or quizzical expression. Each time we do so, we potentially "etch" the skin with fine wrinkles, which, with time tend to grow deeper and wider. If we weaken these motions and soften the strength of the contractions with neuromodulators, like Botox, Dysport, and Xeomin, we potentially lessen over time the damaging effects of muscular movement on the skin above--the result: less wrinkling and less deep wrinkles. So, these days, I am more apt to treat younger patients, even in their early twenties, who complain of the beginning of crow's feet, worry lines or scowl lines. 

A similar case may be made for the proactive use of fillers in very fine crinkles. Fillers not only diminish the depth of wrinkles, but have been found to stimulate new, native collagen production, both of which act against the age-related trend toward more pronounced wrinkling with the passage of time. Therefore, combining the use of fillers and neuromodulators makes good sense. 

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Botox for Wrinkle Prevention

+1

Botox can reduce so-called dynamic wrinkles, those caused by the movement of facial expression muscles.  Botox works by stopping the nerve impulse that normally directs the muscle to contract.  As the muscle remains relaxed, with less tone, the skin remains smoother because the underlying muscle can't pucker the skin.  The effect usually wears off over 4 months.  There is some thinking that by repeatedly treating the muscles with Botox and keeping them relaxed, the muscles may atrophy slightly, from lack of use, and so when the Botox effect wears off, the muscles won't be able to pucker the skin quite so much.  Also, after many years of muscular puckering of the skin, some permanent structural changes occur in the skin at the site of the wrinkle, and a permanent crease develops that may be present even after successful Botox injection.  In this case a filler would be advised as an additional treatment to plump up the permanent crease.  If Botox had been used regularly to reduce wrinkling all the time, those permanent changes in the skin would likely be prevented and therefore the permanent deep creases  would not develop.

Richard G. Schwartz, MD

Botox to prevent wrinkles

+1

Yes, Botox and Dysport can prevent  you from getting deep or fixed wrinkles. I have many young patients in their 20s doing this to keep their skin looking good and preventing  wrinkles.It's important to add sunscreen to your daily skin care program to help prevent future wrinkles. It is great you are thinking about your skin now. Prevention is the Key to great skin as you mature. Good for you!!

Esta Kronberg, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for prevention of wrinkles?

+1

In general, Botox is used to treat the following cosmetic issues:

1) Crow's feet
2) Glabella (the "11" between the brows)
3) Forehead wrinkles
4) Smoker's lines

Botox is effective in preventing the progression and appearance of wrinkles in the above menetioned locations. I freqently use Botox in my younger patients to prevent the development of deep wrinkles in these locations.

Thanks and I hope this helps!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Prophylactic Botox

+1

Dear PetiteBlonde,

It is known that repeated use of Botox will cause muscle atrophy with time.  With weakened muscles, the potential for dynamic wrinkles to become static is significantly reduced.  More and more, younger patients such as yourself are using Botox prophylactic ally to prevent wrinkles.  I think it's a great idea, although I am biased - as are all physicians commenting on this thread.

Warmest regards,

Asif Pirani

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)