Hypothyroid and Liposuction

I have recently had a tummy tuck after loosing 65-70lbs.Very happy with the result in general. I am thinking of lipo for the stubborn areas on my rear, inner thighs etc. I am concerned because I am now Hypothyroid and am terrified to gain any weight and If I do lipo, and gain any weight at all(5-10lbs?),I am afraid to look worse. Anyone have hypothyroid and been happy..or unhappy that you chose lipo? I need feedback from doctors that have experience & those who've have the experience. Thanks!

Liposuction after a Tummy Tuck: Medical Condition Controlled

+2

Liposuction is great for those difficult areas you have described. Like any cosmetic procedure, the end result depends on how you maintain yourself. Think of it as buying a new car and then having to maintain it! As long as you follow-up closely with your internal medicine doctor and/or endocrinologist to ensure you are normalized from your thyroid hormone levels you should be a candidate for anything you want. Make sure you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for your procedure.

Dr. Trussler

Hypothyroidism and tummy tuck or liposuction

+2
If your thyroid condition is controlled by medication, you should have a normal surgical risk. That means an internist has examined you and taken a blood test showing a normal thyroid level. You should obviously not have surgery with any uncontrolled thyroid condition.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Hypothryoidism and liposuction

+1

your concern seems to be if it would be easy for you to regain weight after you go through the expense, trouble and risk of a procedure such as liposuction, because of your hypothryoidism.  It's important to realize that many people who don't have thyroid trouble, must reset their calorie intake after liposuction.  After liposuction they have less fat on board, and therefore require less calories to support less fat, but if they eat exactly the same as before liposuction (and exercise the same) then they may regain weight because their calories consumed was the cause of their having the excess fat.

This does not apply to thin patients who have an inherited predisposition of have a small depot of fat in the outer thighs or under the neck, etc. Now, considering a history of hypothyroidism, if the thyroid hormones are  not brought back into balance with medication, it will be harder to keep weight off because there is less energy expended in your basal (resting) metabolic rate for normal functions. If you are looking to have any significant amount of liposuction done, then you must have your thyroid hormones brought into a normal range prior to the surgery. Your general physician may be able to do this for you or you may need an endocrinologist.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Hypothyroidism and Cosmetic Surgery

+1

You have nothing to worry about.

I am ASSUMING that by Hypothyroid you mean that your body is no longer producing normal levels of thyroid hormone and that you are being supplemented by taking thyroid hormone pills. This is fairly common and the adequacy of your supplementation can be verified by following your TSH levels (the hormone causing the thyroid to release thyroid hormone will go up when your thyroid hormone levels are too low and will be low when they are too high). The classic features of LOW thyroid function (myxedema, Hypothyroidism etc) is confusion, tiredness, irritation, fatigue and SWELLING with FLUID RETENTION.  If you keep your thyroid function under control this will not happen. Period.

Check with your Internist or endocrinologist where you stand and after you are stable decide together when it would be reasonable to have your liposuction.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter A Aldea

Liposuction and hypothyroidism

+1

I can't say that I've ever really seen a problem with liposuction and a recent diagnosis of thyroid disease.  When thyroid levels are uncontrolled or improperly high or low, then all bets are off and wound healing can be weakened.  You are probably better off not doing your liposuction now but getting your medical condition in order and stable for a few months then moving forward.  Your concerns are valid, paricularly in the areas that you are interested in treating.  They can be tricky to improve after all that weight loss.

Best Wishes

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Hypothyroidism and Liposuction

+1

As long as your hypothyroidism is under good medical control, you should not have any issues.  We have had several very happy patients undergo liposuction who have hypothyroidism.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Hypothyroid with liposuction

+1

Many individuals have low thyroid, though with proper medical care of the condition cosmetic surgery such as liposuction should pose no problem. Talk to your family physician first and get your health under control.

peterejohnsonmd

Liposuction and Hypothyroidism

+1

If weight gain is your concern, make sure that your hypothyroidism is under control before you undergo liposuction. As will all body contouring surgeries, your best results will be achieved when your weight is stable and with a healthy nutritional and exercise regimen. If you are concerned about your hypothyroidism affecting your weight, consult with your primary care physician or endocrinologist first to determine when your condition is under control. Of course, you should also discuss this with your plastic surgeon prior to your procedure as well.

Derek Lou, MD