Hydrocortisone for Rosacea Bumps?

My dermatologist recommended hydrocortisone 2.5% cream for rosacea bumps (+ a course of tetracycline). I've read that hydrocortisone should not be used for rosacea. What do you think?

Applying hydrocortisone (not the more potent cortisones) on a temporary basis for

+1

rosacea is perfectly fine...yes you can run into problems if you overdue it but for several weeks that's a perfectly appropriate treatment...especially when the skin is irritated...I think your dermatologist is on the right track...

Hydrocortisone for Rosacea

+1

Although some practitioners do prescribe hydrocortisone cream for acute flares of rosacea, I prefer not to use it. In some instances, I have seen topical steroid-induced rosacea with long-term use of cortisone creams. I agree that antibiotics from the tetracycline family is useful for Rosacea. There are other topical options including metronidazole, sulfur-based washes and creams, and azelaic acid, to mention just a few. Light-based therapies such as IPL can be very effective for the subtype of rosacea which has prominent blood vessels and redness.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist