How Often Chemical Peel to Maintain the Results?

Chemical Peel frequency depends on skin condition

+3

Mild chemical peels can be done once a month to exfoliate the skin and improve skin texture. If you have acne prone skin or hyper pigmentation you should commit to a package of 5-10 peels in order to get the acne in control or to improve the discoloration. Depending on the skin condition, chemical peels can be combined with microdermabrasion or IPL for even better results.

Chemical Peel types and frequency

+2

Chemical peels can improve different skin conditions at different strengths, and therefore, with varying healing times depending on the strength. In general, chemical peels refresh the skin and get rid of sun damage. I use stronger peels to improve deeper wrinkles and more extensive sun damage and discoloration. I use weaker peels for exfoliation, acne, fine lines, fine wrinkles, mild discoloration and surface abnormalities. Superficial (weaker) peels are done more frequently (once a month to once every few months) to maintain those results with lesser healing times.

Deeper (stronger) peels are done much less frequently and require much more down time. Depending on the skin condition, chemical peels can also be combined with other modalities such as laser resurfacing, botox, injectable fillers and light electrosurgery.

Channing R. Barnett, MD

Chemical Peel Frequency of Treatments

+1

Chemical peel protocols usually call for a minimum of 6 peels spaced out 2 – 3 weeks apart. This depends on which chemical peel you choose and what percentage of acids (such as glycolic and salicylic). To maintain your results from the peel of our choice, you can continue to do them as frequently as one peel per month, or a little as one every change in season (4x/year) this obviously depends on severity of skin condition for which you are being treated and potential sun exposure (since chemical peels usually cause skin to become hypersensitive) please consult your physician before making any decisions.

Teanoosh Zadeh, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Chemical Peel Maintenance

+1

Once you have achieved your goals, lighter chemical peels can be performed every 2 months to maintain the results. More aggressive peels generally only need to be performed once or twice a year.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Depends on why you are having the procedure done

+1

I recommend a superficial peel once a month to maintain a steady glow. However, this entirely depends on why you are having this treatment done. If it is to remove acne or improve pigmentation only a few sessions may be needed initially.

Yael Halaas, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Frequency of Chemical Peels to Maintain Improvement

+1

To maintain your improvement following chemical peels there are a couple of options:

• Perform chemical peels on a regular basis to try to reach the same improvement each time. Generally, the repetitive peels will stimulate more collagen to soften fine lines. But of course each chemical peel comes with downtime (healing time), redness to fade, potential complications
  • Use a regimen of topical retinoids with possible use of glycolic acids and/or hydroquinones to augment the effect of the retinoids.

Generally, the second option is the best one. If you get a good result from your chemical peel (I'm assuming a medium or deep peel since superficial peels are something that you would continue on a regular basis), then you probably won't "need" another peel for a couple of years. But key to this is protecting your skin from further sun or ultaviolet damage and using a prescription-strength retinoid to continue to stimulate collagen synthesis after you're healed. This will help to maintain the results from your chemical peel, speed healing after the chemical peel, minimize some of the potential complications afterward, and spread out the distance to your next chemical peel.

Andrew Kaufman, MD

Peel Maint.

+1

Maintaining results from a chemical depends on what results you want to maintain: Acne? Anti-aging? Hyperpigmentation?  If you have only done light peels for acne then you may have to come in more frequently than if you had deeper peels for scarring or anti-aging.  If I am dealing with acne then I like to slowly ease my patients out... extending the time period between treatments slowly to make certain nothing is going on under the skin.  If I am dealing with Anti-aging and doing more aggressive peels then I recommend 3-6 months between treatments.  You can also mix things up by doing dermaplaning or microderms in between peels to keep your skin exfoliated and maintained.  Be careful doing too many deep peels, and remember there are other options to assist with your maintenance.

Joseph Serota, MD
Aurora Plastic Surgeon

Frequency of Chemical Peels should be determined by your goals and skin type

+1

Once the desired result has been achieved with a series of glycolic peels a maintenance peel every 2-3 months is recommended.

If you are having stronger peels such as the VI peel, usually 1-2 treatments a year is ideal for maintaining your outcome. Maintaining your skin with your home regimen is important as well. Using a medical grade skin care line and SPF 30 will help to not only maintain your results but enhance them as well.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Chemical peels and frequency of use depend on depth

+1

How often you do peels can be subjective and dependent on how you feel your skin is doing and for what condition you are treating. Chemical peels can be varied in terms of how deep you want the peel and how deep the issues you are trying to treat. Superficial wrinkles and pigmentation issues can be improved by superficial peels. Deeper wrinkles and pigmentation can be improved by more aggressive and deeper peels.

Deeper peels should not be repeated for several months and even up to a year. Your physician can monitor how you are healing and determine this. Superficial peels allow a faster recovery and thus you can do these much more frequently. Glycolic peels can be done 2-3 times per week depending on how a person is tolerating the treatments. Your doctor can help you determine this. To maintain the results you need to determine with your doctor how your results are coming along.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Glycolic peels

+1

How many treatments and how far apart you get them is determined by what you are trying to treat. for long term benefits on wrinkles this superficial peel is not the treatment of choice by any means. For some superficial textural changes and mild pigmentation issues this can do pretty well. You would likely need multiple treatments spaced 2-4 weeks apart. Your doctor needs to match the treatment to the problem. some things just arent worth doing while others are overkill so find a board-certified dermatologist who knows all about the skin, skin diseases and changes and has training in cosmetic applications. Good luck.

Shawn Allen, MD
Boulder Dermatologist