Chemical Peel Recovery Time

I am a professional, very busy. Cannot afford to be out of work for long recovering from a  chemical peel. How much downtime can I expect from chemical peels of different depths?

Chemical Peel downtime

+3

The amount of downtime you have from a chemical peel really depends on the type (strength) of the peel. Superficial peels which include glycolic acid, salicylic acid and TCA 15% do not cause much downtime at all. Patients undergoing superficial chemical peeling can expect to have mild redness and peeling, both of which can be easily covered up. More aggressive peeling (medium strength and higher) can cause a lot more swelling, redness, crusting and peeling and therefore have greater downtime.

The tradeoff is that you get much better results with more aggressive peeling. Your doctor will be able to discuss your goals and your work restrictions and come up with the best peel for you.

Chemical Peel Recovery Time

+2
In general, chemical peel recovery time of a moderate depth with Trichloroacetic Acid (TCA) is about 7-10 days.

Chemical Peels

+2

Chemical Peels are an amazing treatment to reduce the appearance of fine lines, brown spots and congested pores.  There are many different strengths of peels available.  A peel with minimal downtime is the PCA Sensi Peel.  This peel is often done with Microdermabrasion and the results are amazing!  You will have an immediate glow and slight flaking will possibly occur 2-3 days later whicah will only last a couple of days.  You can return to work the same day as the peel and nobody will know you've had anything done.  This is why we refer to this treatment as the lunch time peel. This treatment would be a good choice for you.  Hope that helped.

Chemical Peel Downtime

+2

There are different types of chemical peels with a different peel strength. The chemical solution is applied to your skin that causes it to pill off. The less aggressive peels are performed by the aesthetician in the spa. After that type of a peel, the downtime is usually short, from a few days to a week.  Clients may return to work the same day or the next.  The procedure can be repeated every few weeks.  After receiving a superficial peel you will usually experience mild redness and little peeling.However, the peels that are only performed by a certified doctor are very strong.  Aggressive peels normally will result in more peeling, crusting, swelling and will result in a longer recovery time. The downtime for the aggressive peels is usually seven to fourteen weeks. The procedure can be repeated in 6-12 months. It is important to remember that after any type of a peel you have to wear a sunscreen with a high SPF. After the chemical peel the skin is easily damaged and it needs protection.  Consult your provider for the most accurate results.

Web reference: http://www.capefearaesthetics.com/details/med+spa-20/

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chemical peels and downtime

+2

IMHO, you simply cannot have your cake and eat it too.  I am certain that others will disagree with me but the peels or the fractionated lasers that brag about being lunchtime or no downtime, are, in my opinion, not particularly effective either.  On the other hand, a light-medium depth peel on a Friday might have you back to work on a Monday and still achieve a reasonable effect.

Web reference: http://www.kassmd.com

Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Downtime after chemical peels

+2

The amount of downtime after a chemical peel depends on the strength of the peel.  Depending upon your goals, and the condition of your skin, there are a number of chemical peels that are what I call 'low to no downtime."  There include glycolic acid, salicylic acid, Jessner's and Vi Peel.  The peeling process is usually over in a week.  The peeling usually starts 1-3 days after treatment and is most noticable for about 24 hours after it starts.  I usually advise patients that are concerned about downtime (and who don't mind peeling on the weekend)  to get the peel on a Thursday.  The peeling will likely not start sooner than Friday night and will mostly be over by Monday.

Web reference: http://www.aglowdermatology.com

TCA peels recovery time

+2

TCA peels are very effective for removing signs of photoaging and discolorations. The peel usually looks bad for 3-7 days. Some people heal quicker but I would not count on it. Assume you will be out of the public eye for 7 days.

West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Chemical peel for busy professional

+2

First you need to identify what you what to correct with the peel. Or could it be just "maintenance"? The type of peel that will meet your goals can then be selected. The recovery time depends on the peel. So, for example, if you have significant facial wrinkles, this will require a peel such as a TCA. You will be "out of commission" for about a week. If you have some areas of pigmentation, skin is dull, etc. you could do a series of glycolic peels with no downtime. So it depends on what your goals are.

Hope this helps.

Tracy M. Pfeifer, MD, MS

Chemical peel downtime

+2

Moderate or medium depth chemical peels with 35% TCA will get great results, but snake skin peeling starts 3 days after the peel and lasts 1 week.

Superficial peels do not achieve the same results but can be done with little to no downtime. You may consider a series of fractionated erbium yag laser peels, as these can be done on Friday, and by Monday there is no real evidence of the treatment.

However, remember this may require several treatments for optimal results, and the more aggressive the treatment, the more days added on to the recovery.

In general, if you were given the option for a medium depth chemical peel than a fractionated erbium yag will get similar results in 1-2 treatments without the loss of 1 week of work.

Boulder Dermatologist

Recovery after Blue peel

+1
Application of the Obagi Blue Peel takes about 20 minutes, depending on the number of coats Pamela has determined are necessary to achieve your goals. Immediately after the procedure, a bluish tint remains on your skin until it peels off (within 7-10 days). Coverup make up can be worn when the peeling is complete enough for you to go back to your usual activities. When your skin has completely finished peeling, you will immediately notice the dramatic results of your newly improved Complexion. Your skin’s appearance will continue to improve for the next 4 to 6 Weeks, becoming firmer, clearer, smoother, healthier and more youthful looking.

Web reference: https://pacificcenterplasticsurgery.com/procedures/skin/obagi-blue-peel/