How Much Swelling and Bruising Will I Get from Neck Liposuction and Lift?

I am scheduled for Neck lipo and Neck lift next week. How much swelling and brusing should I expect? How long will they last?

Everyone is different, but expect 2 weeks or so of bruising

+4

Every patient heals a bit differently after neck rejuvenation procedures, but I tell mine to expect around 2 weeks of bruising-- some heal quicker, some slower. One tip I have found helpful to reduce the amount of bruising is to have my patients start on the over the counter herbal medicine Arnica before the procedure and continue it after. Check with your surgeon before doing this, but it may help the bruising resolve a bit more quickly.

Good Luck!

Dr. Salemy

Compression garment is key!

+3

Neck lifts and Lipo almost always go well. I had a patient have a necklift 2 weeks ago and was filming a commercial in 7 days. My favorite way to minimize bruising and swelling is a compression neck garment. Other supplements and dietary changes help, but compression and good surgery are the key!

Robert M. Freund, MD

One to 3 weeks... it varies...

+3

Bruising after facial surgery varies. Be sure to follow your surgeon's instructions to the letter, and avoid medications that can cause bleeding or bruising (such as vitamin E, fish oil, aspirin, etc). Avoiding "overdoing it" in the early post-operative period can also decrease bruising. The amount of visible bruising depends on the meticulous technique of your surgeon, your intrinsic ability to form clots, and following post operative instructions carefully. If everything goes well, you may have almost no bruising. Typically, something is visible for 7 to 10 days, and if you are unlucky, it can last around 3 weeks. I hope this is useful.

I wish you a speedy recovery!

Michael A. Bogdan, MD, FACS

Bruising and Swelling after Necklift

+2

A necklift is routinely combined with fat removal, either by liposuction, by "hand" or both. Swelling is usually minimal. It is normal to have bruising but it settles quickly by gravity into the lower neck area and sometimes upper chest area where it is easy to cover.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

How much swelling and bruising after a neck lift Depends on surgical technique

+2
How much swelling a patient gets varies depending on the patient and upon the surgical techniques that are used. If Jackson-Pratt drains are used, there is only minimal bruising because the blood goes out in the drains. Some surgeons use drains, while others used compression garments. We prefer use of mechanical suction drains in our practice. There is a moderate amount of swelling typically, but it usually subsides in two weeks. Patients are asked to refrain from social activities, work and strenuous exercise for 2 weeks. For many examples, please see  the link below to our neck lift photo gallery.

Recovery from a necklift

+1
You can expect it to take about two weeks from bruising to resolve.  Swelling will take longer but most people can be out in public after about a week and a half and look good.  Swelling may take up to six months to fully resolve.  Wearing a neck strap and keeping your head elevation in the early recovery days can help this process move more quickly.

Susan D. Vasko, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Healing and Recovery Following Neck Lift & Lipo

+1
Swelling and bruising following neck lift surgery varies from patient to patient and depends on the surgical technique and wound healing characteristics of the patient.  The majority of swelling and bruising usually resolves in about one to two weeks following neck lift surgery.  At this point, most patients can return to work and resume normal activities.  In most cases total resolution of swelling takes about three months.  In rare cases, swelling may persist for up to a year following surgery.
It’s important to remember that more aggressive neck lift procedures create more swelling, which can last for longer periods of time.  Elevation of the head and decreased salt intake may help decrease swelling after surgery.  Swelling is normal after neck lift surgery, but persistent or extreme swelling should be evaluated by your surgeon, especially if it’s accompanied by bruising. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Bruising can be controlled with arnica.

+1

Please don't worry too much about bruising, swelling or pain.  Even though the face/neck can bruise significantly, it also resolves very quickly.  You can wear a scarf loosely around your neck to camouflage the area.  All the best with your surgery!

Leila Kasrai, MD, FRCSC

Swelling and bruising after neck lipo and lift.

+1

Everyone is different.  Usually most swelling goes away in a few weeks.  Our office has patients keep their head elevated for a week after surgery.  We like ice to the area for the first few days.  We also like compression garments.  Arnica can also be helpful.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Neck Liposuction and Lift Can Cause Significant Bruising On Chest

+1

The combination of Liposuction and Neck lift can cause significant bruising. Some people do not bruise much, but you cannot predict who will or wont. Thus it is best to be prepared for bruising. The bruising can take 2-3 weeks to resolve.

Fortunately the bruising migrates down toward the chest and can be hidden with clothing.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS