Get Rid of Neck Wrinkles

I would like to know the best filler for the neck, and the lines on each side of the mouth.

Most neck creases are fine and the Restylane or Juvederm...

+3

Most neck creases are fine and the Restylane or Juvederm can create bruising or unsightly lumps in this location if it is not administered in small amounts and carefully. Human collagen can be used (Cosmoderm) for this as well.

The tricky neck

+2

vlyoung,

It depends on the depth of the fold and wrinkle in the neck but traditionally neck wrinkles are tough to treat as they are created from the dynamic function of a muscle called the platysma which enwraps the superficial structures of your neck and face.

Botox has been shown to be marginally effective in treatment to soften the folds but may require a high unit volume. In my experience, if you had a specific area of concern, i.e. a neck scar, filler may be beneficial but if there are broad areas that require treatment you might find yourself paying for a large amount of material with questionable benefit.

You may want to consider a surgical consult to identify all of your options both surgical and non-surgical prior to embarking on a possible misadventure in the neck.

Dr. Pryor

Shepherd G. Pryor, MD
Scottsdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift or Facelift for Neck Wrinkles

+1

It’s not unusual for patients to develop wrinkles around the corners of the mouth during the facial aging process. When this occurs, injectable fillers can be used to treat nasal labial folds and marionette lines in this area. In this situation, the use of injectable fillers is associated with high levels of patient satisfaction.

It’s also not unusual for patients to develop wrinkles in the neck area during facial aging. Unfortunately, injectable fillers have limited therapeutic success in this anatomic region for a variety of reasons. Neck wrinkles are often associated with loose saggy skin and for this reason, fillers usually don’t work in this area. In addition, the neck skin is very thin and injections in this area may result in contour irregularities. Under these circumstances, neck wrinkles and loose skin usually require a neck lift or combination neck lift facelift procedure.

If you’re concerned about neck wrinkles, consultation with a plastic surgeon is appropriate. This surgeon should be able to formulate an appropriate treatment plan for your condition. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Best filler for the neck and the sides of the mouth

+1
 In our practice, we use Restylane or Juvederm placed in the lateral area of the mouth has an excellent filler for that area.  We do not place fillers in the neck. A neck lift  or face/neck lift would be required to address loose neck skin, fatty deposits in the neck, and platysmal cords. For many examples, please see the link below to our neck lift photo  Gallery

Ulthera for the neck - Los Angeles

+1

I would use the Ulthera procedure coupled with fractional co2 laser to address the neckline and neck muscles. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Neck and Facial Lines

+1

Without a picture, I cannot really evaluate what would be best for the lines. Typically, the lines around your nose and mouth can be treated with Radiesse with good results; this is what we most commonly use at my practice for the nasal labial folds. The neck lines can be treated (depending on their cause) by fillers or a neck lift. I recommend finding an experienced board certified plastic surgeon in your area and setting up a consult so you can get fully evaluated. “Dr. D”

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck fillers are tricky, be careful

+1

Hi vlyoung,

There are multiple great fillers for the lines around the sides of the mouth.  The lines from the corners of the mouth to the nose are called smile lines.  The technical term is called nasolabial folds (naso-nose; labial- lips).  From the corners of the mouth down towards the jawline is call the marionette lines.

Restylane, Juvederm, Radiesse, and Artefill can be used in these areas.

For the neck wrinkles, there isn't a best option, since they are difficult to improve with surgery, fillers or skin resurfacing.  Some fat grafting experts, may try to inject fat into the neck wrinkles with limited improvement, but a real risk of lumpiness.

The safest fillers if you really want to go down the filler road, would be Restylane or Juvederm, since both can be dissolved using an "antidote" called Hyaluronidase, which is an enzyme which dissolves Hyaluronic Acid, the main component of both Restylane and Juvederm.

The risks are lumpiness, and possible blue tint to the skin similar to the blue color of veins.  This is called the Tyndall Effect.  If the skin becomes blue and it is really a problem then the hyaluronidase would need to be injected to dissolve it away.

Good luck and be careful.

Dr. Yang 

George Yang, MD

Best Filler For the Neck

+1

Neck lines can be the result of many causes and the treatment needed for each is dependent on the type and cause.  Horizontal neck lines are often the result of flexion and are the least responsive to any therapy. Vertical neck lines can be from excess skin, intimate relationship between the platysma muscle and the skin,  strong platysmal bands, sun damage, etc.  Choose a treatment based on the cause of the lines.  

In regards to fillers, the neck skin is thin and therefore is not an ideal location for the use of fillers.   Botox can be used in neck lines depending on cause (see above).

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck Fillers

+1

Hello.

Correction of lines around the mouth will depend on the degree of aging. in young individuals with good skin and isolated lines aroun the mouth Restylane is the filler of choice. As for the neck, fillers will not work, Neck Lift remains the only logical answer

Neck wrinkle treatment

+1

I think the fillers like Juvederm and Restylane are great for the corners of the mouth. However, there really is nothing that I would inject into the neck. Some people were injecting Botox to help with the platysma bands. However, there were some complications with this including difficulty breathing. The best thing for wrinkles or lax skin of the neck is a neck lift. Some lasers can tighten the skin of the neck but probably by only 15-20%.