How Much Does a Facelift Cost?

i cant seem to find any where how much it costs to get a face lift.  can the doctors give me estimates or ranges of cost to expect from a traditional face lift please?

Price of a Facelift - Things to Consider Before Making a Permanent Change to Your Face

Please do not select a plastic surgeon based on finding low prices. My facelift before & after gallery (link below) will give you an idea about how different facelifts are based on the needs of individuals.  

There are many, many ways low priced surgeons "cut corners"  to make prices low, but you really don't want to cut corner when it comes to your health, or a permanent change made to your face. Discounted facelifts will often look like facelifts.  The results of a facelift from a plastic surgeon with expertise, patience and attention to detail will often not look like surgery at all, and instead, just make people look younger, fresher and rejuvenated. That is my goal when providing facial rejuvenation. 

Please view my videos on facelifts  (on my website and on Realself) including assessing before and after photos when selecting a surgeon for a facelift

I prefer the term 'facial rejuvenation' over the more antiquated term 'facelift', as many patients that I see who seek a more youthful and refreshed facial appearance undergo a set of surgical procedures very different from what would have been considered a 'facelift' twenty-five years ago.
The word 'rejuvenation' means, literally, 'to make young again'. In each individual, different facial changes occur with age. One person may be unhappy with 'baggy eyelids', while another has 'droopy eyebrows'. One person may be troubled by 'jowls' in the lower face, while another would like an improvement in their 'floppy neck'.
Surgical treatment of facial aging changes must therefore be carefully individualized to match each patient's aesthetic needs and desires. No two 'facelifts', by necessity, are the same. In helping a patient to make decisions about plastic surgery for facial rejuvenation, I always examine and assess how each aesthetic area or 'unit' of the face contributes to an individual's overall appearance: the brows and eyelids, the cheeks or 'midface', the lower face and chin, and the neck. An individualized surgical plan is then developed which addresses each patient's specific concerns and needs.

The following are a few things that can distinguish some facelift surgeons from others

1) Graduating from a top tier medical school at the top of their class.

2) Membership in Alpha Omega Alpha. THis is the medical honors society. Alpha Omega Alpha is to medicine what Phi Beta Kappa is to letters

3) Formal surgical training from prestigious medical universities. The minimum number of years of surgical training for plastic surgeons to be bord certified in five years. Some physicians have as many as ten years of formal surgical training. There simply is no substitute for stelar academic and practical surgical training.

4) Very experienced surgeons with meticulous surgical technique and natural looking outcomes will have photgraphic evidence of their work. Patients should be able to view many photos of the surgery of interest, photgraphed from three different perspectives all with similar lighting, distance from the camera and cropping

The elite experience extends beyond the surgeon to the facility, and the surgical team. You should be able to see the surgical theater and know who else will be in the OR with you during surgery. The Joint Commission (JCAHO) is an organization that provides certification to hospital OR's. The Joint Commission and AAAASF are two of the organizations that can provide certification to surgical suites. Some plastic surgeons elect to have their surgery centers dually certified.

The anesthesia experience is critical to a safe and comfortable surgical experience. A board certified anesthesiologist can administer general or MAC anesthesia. My preference is to have a board-certified anesthesiologist at the bedside of my patients for the duration of surgery.

Plastic surgeons who cater to high profile individuals who place a high value on privacy will have a private first floor entrance and exit so patients never need to be in a public lobby or elevator for pre-operative or post operative visits.

Therefore, the price of a facelift will depend on exactly what each person needs and the time required to perform surgery. To select a plastic surgeon, take your time researching , visiting websites, view many, many before and after photos and speak to former patients. 
Beware of doctors who discount their fees. Discounting the value of professional services, especially surgery, is not good marketing - it is a sign of desperation. The best plastic surgeons are still busy in this contracting economy, and they are not discounting their fees. At the same time, the most expensive surgeon is not necessarily the most talented, so as a consumer you still have to research this carefully. There is much more to consider than just the price in dollars that you pay: is your surgeon actually listening to you, do they truly understand the appearance that you hope to achieve, do you feel that he or she will be easily available and attentive once the surgery has been performed. If you don't have a good feeling, don't stick around to 'save money', go somewhere else.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Cost

A full facelift has quite a few components.  The facelift usually helps correct the aging processes of the lower face, the upper face (not including the brows or eyelids), and the neck.   The price for a full facelift probably runs from $8000 to $20,000 or more.  Less involved procedures such as minifacelift with shorter scars and less dissection would be less.  In addition, isolated neck lifts would be less.  Keep in mind that a browlift and upper and lower eyelid surgery can add at least $5000 to the cost.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Face Lift Costs: Compare Costs Carefully

You will find that the fees quoted for a face lift vary greatly. When comparing fees try to compare "apples to apples". The following can be helpful:

• Compare the same type of procedure. In most instances a "face lift" refers to correcting changes associated with aging in the cheeks and neck. The eye lid and brow regions are usually considered separate areas. Most plastic surgeons use a technique where the underlying tissue, (the SMAS), is supported, the skin is carefully re draped, and the excess skin is trimmed away. This type of face lift can provide natural results that typically last 7-10 years. Recently, many smaller, less extensive procedures have been promoted. Often placed in the "mini lift" category, they tend to be smaller procedures. They are often quicker, provide less support of the deeper tissues and have a shorter recovery time, but the results may not last as long.
  • Are other procedures being combined with the face lift? Combining the face lift with eye lid surgery, laser or fillers will add to the cost of the procedure.
  • Note the region of the country. Fees vary depending upon location. New York and Los Angeles have much higher fees than other regions of the country.
  • Where is the surgery being performed? For safety reasons, the surgery should be performed in an accredited surgical facility such an an outpatient surgery center or hospital. Hospital fees are higher than outpatient surgery centers especially if an overnight stay is included.
  • What type of anesthesia will be used? Many of these procedures can be performed under IV sedation. General anesthesia is more expensive.
  • The skill and reputation of the surgeon is important. This is harder to quantify, but check out your doctor. Make sure he or she has a good reputation, and performs this surgery frequently, safely and with good results. Your personal physician often can tell you who is qualified and respected in your local medical community. Other satisfied patients can also be good referrals.

James H. Schmidt, MD
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Cost

The National Average in 2008 for the Professional fee for the Facelift was 6,725.00. However, keep in mind there are other costs affiliated with the Facelift. The Facility cost, Anesthesia, possibly and overnight stay as well as lab work and prescriptions.

Make sure when getting a "Grand Total" that there are no surprise bills after surgery. Some Physicians and facilities charge additional fees to the patient if they go over in time or use more supplies than they estimated for your surgery. Make sure to read the fine print.

Facelift Costs in Florida!

The term Facelift usually describes a lifting procedure of the Cheeks and Neck including tightening the covering of the muscle layer called the SMAS to improve and prolong the result. It usually does not include the forehead lift/brow lift , eyelid surgery(Blepharoplasty), dermal fillers, laser, or fat grafting.

If you notice improvement in the mirror when lifting the cheeks with your fingers and the neck with your thumbs, this is probably what you need.

The good news is today's Facelift should give a dramatic result and be natural in appearance because of improvements in the technique.

Keep in mind that rejuvenation of the face is different in each patient since often more than one area may be involved.  Sometimes a Facelift may be combined with a brow lift or eyelid surgery(Blepharoplasty) in order to get the best result.  I often add fat grafting and fractional CO2 laser to my facial rejuvenation procedures because it greatly improves the overall result.  This can add to the cost so make sure you are comparing apples to apples.  More importantly make sure you are looking at the costs in the right light.  Remember, this is your face and you want the best care possible, not the least expensive.

The cost of a Facelift in my practice in southwest Florida is approximately 8000 dollars which includes the operating room charges and anesthesia fees. Remember that when you obtain a quote over the phone, sometimes you hear only the surgeons fee. Also many patients may require additional procedures like Blepharoplasty for the eyes and fractional CO2 laser or dermal fillers for wrinkles which will increase the costs.

Facelift Quote important Points:

1. Make sure your Facelift will include correcting the cheek and neck laxity and includes a SMAS lift or plication.
  2. Make sure all fees including anesthesia, operating room are part of the final total.
  3. Find out how long the quote is valid. We honor quotes for 90 days.
  4. Ask about financing if needed. Care credit seems to be a good source in my experience.

Facelift cost range is $7,500 to $50,000

You get one shot at a facelift. If it is not done properly, you will look pulled and done.

Patients cannot just "get a bad facelift redone. " Except in the most expert of hands, and only in some circumstances, revising those failures of the first procedure will not be possible until enough loose skin again generates enabling a repair.

There is a generation of women who must now live with the stigma of the "quickie facelift", its wide painful scars, deformed ears, and a very pulled look, not to mention the poor rejuvenation of the neck and jawline.

DO NOT SKIMP on your facelift. See the best surgeons and do it right.

Depending on the complexity of the facelift, the ancillary procedures performed, and the reputation of the surgeon, the procedure can typically cost anywhere from $7,500 to $50,000 by an esteemed facelift expert performing many ancillary procedures in addition to the facelift.

Many patients have discovered that when they compare mini facelifts done in clinics to mini facelifts done by a known doctor, the prices are very similar!  Experienced doctors often do their surgeries more efficiently, using less operating room time.  An experienced facelift expert is gentler with the patient's delicate tissues than a novice or poorly trained surgeon.

Aftercare is important as well, as is the preoperative workup.  A doctor who carefully checks for problems like hypertension before the surgery will not be surprised afterward by bad bruising and prolonged healing.

So when comparing cost, the patient should consider all these factors.  But RealSelf readers most likely already know all this!

Brent Moelleken, MD

Facelift Cost: Read this First

Before considering cost as the major variable in determining which surgeon to see, please read this article I recently wrote here on RealSelf:

Remember, It's Your Face

In this sad but unique economic environment, one of the greatest concerns for the consumer is price. The good news for the general public is that there are amazing price opportunities on many things, including cosmetic surgery. Many Facial Plastic Surgeons and Plastic surgeons throughout the country are offering prices for procedures which offer significant discounts compared to 2007 price structures. I strongly encourage patients to take advantage of this because it won't last forever.

However, at the same time, I would strongly encourage the general public to to treat overblown advertising, infomercial based plastic surgery companies, and too-good-to-be-true advertising with the appropriate amount of skepticism they deserve. Although there are good deals out there, there are truly some players in the plastic surgery marketplace who are happy to take your money, offer shoddy work, and send you on your way. Indeed this used-car approach toward cosmetic surgery can and does bleed over into patient safety: a patient died in the Orlando area in October 2009 after having a quickie infomercial Facelift procedure, and a patient died in the Miami area after having liposuction in a MediSpa. Different companies, different situations, same lack of care for the individual patient.

There are several rules of thumb when seeking facial rejuvenation and/or cosmetic surgery:

1) Seek the opinion of a board certified Facial Plastic Surgeon (American Board of Facial Plastic Surgery), or Plastic Surgeon (American Board of Plastic Surgery) for facial rejuvenation. For breast and body procedures, seek the opinion of a Plastic surgeon.

2) If you have elected to be seen in a high volume, infomercial based company: a) don't be pressured into putting down a deposit; b) seek another opinion before signing up.

3) If you have made the choice to have surgery at a high volume, infomercial based company, first find out what accrediting body (JCAHO, AAAHC, ACHA, or AAAASF) has accredited the facility. If there is no accreditation, be very wary. Accrediting bodies are designed to make facilities adhere to standards of care, they are not beholden to a profit over care mentality. It is better to surrender your deposit than to surrender your face...or your life.

4) If you have had surgery in a high volume, infomercial based company and you are not happy with your results, do not sign any waivers which surrender your ability to take legal action. This is a common tactic used by such entities.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

There's a Huge Range in Facelift Cost

Unfortunately this is one of those questions that almost impossible to answer. A facelift can mean different things to different surgeons. It can be a standard subcutaneous elevation with SMAS plication and platysmal tightening, a SMAS elevation, a subperiosteal lift, a midface lift and any number of smaller lifts.

So it's impossible to say for exactly what you need but I would say for a standard lift with SMAS plication it could run anywhere from $8000-$20,000 just depending on where and who does it.

Cost of a facelift

An office visit/consultation is mandatory prior to scheduling the procedure. There is now way to give you an accurate quote via EMail. A facelift may entail a forehead lift and/or eyelid (upper/lower) tuck, and/or fat grafting, and/or chin implant placement or jaw surgery, and/or skin resurfacing procedure and/or a neck lift. A face lift by itself may not produce your desired result. During the consultation we may determine that other procedures are better suited for your optimal outcome.

The procedure(s) to be performed is a complex decision process determined based on your desires, anatomy, practicality, and wound healing. This is usually determined at the time of the initial consultation but may need to be adjusted intra-operatively. Many different options are available as discussed above and may be achieved with a full facelift, eyes and forehead lift or may be accomplished with less aggressive procedures such as mini-facelift (also known as an S lift, MACS lift, Lifestyle lift, etc) or less aggressively managed with a thread lift.

Surgery averages about 3hours but may take shorter or longer; the entire process takes about 5-6 hours and is performed on an outpatient basis.

We generally recommend that you take a week off work and avoid strenuous physical activity for three weeks. Compression garments are generally required during this time.

The surgery can be done in several different places (hospital, office surgical suite, or surgicenter) and the prices vary accordingly with the last being the most affordable.

Although I understand your desire to obtain the price; I can't give you a fixed price for several reasons. Prices depend on:
Do you want it performed in an office, surgicenter or in a hospital setting?
Do you want a nurse, a surgeon, or a Board Certified Anesthesiologist to perform anesthesia?
Do you want me to provide you with dressings & garments or do you want to buy them?
Depending on these factors, a facelift can range anywhere from $4500 up to $16,000. Think about it and make the right choice. For your information our typical cost currently is about $6000 which includes surgeon's fees (certified anesthesiologist, accredited outpatient surgicenter, and initial garments and dressings). Many other options are available and prices do vary accordingly.

You should run from anyone offering you a "traditional facelift"!!

Having someone do a "Traditional Facelift" on you is like buying a Model T car.

You will lose all the possible advances made during the past 15 years that make lifts more natural, durable, and safer.

Also, just like the car, the final cost is dependent on the options you will need.

The options make the difference, and that is why the generic lifts like "Mini-Lifts, Weekend lifts, String lifts " are seldom chosen by knowledgeable consumers.

See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or several and only make up your mind r.e. cost when you understand what you are really buying.

Dr. Mayl

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon