How Much Does a Facelift Cost?

i cant seem to find any where how much it costs to get a face lift.  can the doctors give me estimates or ranges of cost to expect from a traditional face lift please?

Price of a Facelift

+9
Please do not select a plastic surgeon based on finding low prices. My facelift before and after gallery (link below) will give you an idea about how different facelifts are based on the needs of individuals.  There are many, many ways low priced surgeons "cut corners"  to make prices low, but you really don't want to cut corner when it comes to your health, or a permanent change made to your face. Discounted facelifts will often look like facelifts.  The results of a facelift from a plastic surgeon with expertise, patience and attention to detail will often not look like surgery at all, and instead, just make people look younger, fresher and rejuvenated. That is my goal when providing facial rejuvenation. 

Please view my videos on facelifts including assessing before and after photos when selecting a surgeon for a facelift

I prefer the term 'facial rejuvenation' over the more antiquated term 'facelift', as many patients that I see who seek a more youthful and refreshed facial appearance undergo a set of surgical procedures very different from what would have been considered a 'facelift' twenty-five years ago.
The word 'rejuvenation' means, literally, 'to make young again'. In each individual, different facial changes occur with age. One person may be unhappy with 'baggy eyelids', while another has 'droopy eyebrows'. One person may be troubled by 'jowls' in the lower face, while another would like an improvement in their 'floppy neck'.
Surgical treatment of facial aging changes must therefore be carefully individualized to match each patient's aesthetic needs and desires. No two 'facelifts', by necessity, are the same. In helping a patient to make decisions about plastic surgery for facial rejuvenation, I always examine and assess how each aesthetic area or 'unit' of the face contributes to an individual's overall appearance: the brows and eyelids, the cheeks or 'midface', the lower face and chin, and the neck. An individualized surgical plan is then developed which addresses each patient's specific concerns and needs.
Therefore, the price of a facelift will depend on exactly what each person needs and the time required to perform surgery. To select a plastic surgeon, take your time researching , visiting websites, view many, many before and after photos and speak to former patients. 
Beware of doctors who discount their fees. Discounting the value of professional services, especially surgery, is not good marketing - it is a sign of desperation. The best plastic surgeons are still busy in this contracting economy, and they are not discounting their fees. At the same time, the most expensive surgeon is not necessarily the most talented, so as a consumer you still have to research this carefully. There is much more to consider than just the price in dollars that you pay: is your surgeon actually listening to you, do they truly understand the appearance that you hope to achieve, do you feel that he or she will be easily available and attentive once the surgery has been performed. If you don't have a good feeling, don't stick around to 'save money', go somewhere else.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Cost: Read this First

+5

Before considering cost as the major variable in determining which surgeon to see, please read this article I recently wrote here on RealSelf:

Remember, It's Your Face

In this sad but unique economic environment, one of the greatest concerns for the consumer is price. The good news for the general public is that there are amazing price opportunities on many things, including cosmetic surgery. Many Facial Plastic Surgeons and Plastic surgeons throughout the country are offering prices for procedures which offer significant discounts compared to 2007 price structures. I strongly encourage patients to take advantage of this because it won't last forever.

However, at the same time, I would strongly encourage the general public to to treat overblown advertising, infomercial based plastic surgery companies, and too-good-to-be-true advertising with the appropriate amount of skepticism they deserve. Although there are good deals out there, there are truly some players in the plastic surgery marketplace who are happy to take your money, offer shoddy work, and send you on your way. Indeed this used-car approach toward cosmetic surgery can and does bleed over into patient safety: a patient died in the Orlando area in October 2009 after having a quickie infomercial Facelift procedure, and a patient died in the Miami area after having liposuction in a MediSpa. Different companies, different situations, same lack of care for the individual patient.

There are several rules of thumb when seeking facial rejuvenation and/or cosmetic surgery:

1) Seek the opinion of a board certified Facial Plastic Surgeon (American Board of Facial Plastic Surgery), or Plastic Surgeon (American Board of Plastic Surgery) for facial rejuvenation. For breast and body procedures, seek the opinion of a Plastic surgeon.

2) If you have elected to be seen in a high volume, infomercial based company: a) don't be pressured into putting down a deposit; b) seek another opinion before signing up.

3) If you have made the choice to have surgery at a high volume, infomercial based company, first find out what accrediting body (JCAHO, AAAHC, ACHA, or AAAASF) has accredited the facility. If there is no accreditation, be very wary. Accrediting bodies are designed to make facilities adhere to standards of care, they are not beholden to a profit over care mentality. It is better to surrender your deposit than to surrender your face...or your life.

4) If you have had surgery in a high volume, infomercial based company and you are not happy with your results, do not sign any waivers which surrender your ability to take legal action. This is a common tactic used by such entities.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face Lift Costs: Compare Costs Carefully

+5

You will find that the fees quoted for a face lift vary greatly. When comparing fees try to compare "apples to apples". The following can be helpful:

• Compare the same type of procedure. In most instances a "face lift" refers to correcting changes associated with aging in the cheeks and neck. The eye lid and brow regions are usually considered separate areas. Most plastic surgeons use a technique where the underlying tissue, (the SMAS), is supported, the skin is carefully re draped, and the excess skin is trimmed away. This type of face lift can provide natural results that typically last 7-10 years. Recently, many smaller, less extensive procedures have been promoted. Often placed in the "mini lift" category, they tend to be smaller procedures. They are often quicker, provide less support of the deeper tissues and have a shorter recovery time, but the results may not last as long.
  • Are other procedures being combined with the face lift? Combining the face lift with eye lid surgery, laser or fillers will add to the cost of the procedure.
  • Note the region of the country. Fees vary depending upon location. New York and Los Angeles have much higher fees than other regions of the country.
  • Where is the surgery being performed? For safety reasons, the surgery should be performed in an accredited surgical facility such an an outpatient surgery center or hospital. Hospital fees are higher than outpatient surgery centers especially if an overnight stay is included.
  • What type of anesthesia will be used? Many of these procedures can be performed under IV sedation. General anesthesia is more expensive.
  • The skill and reputation of the surgeon is important. This is harder to quantify, but check out your doctor. Make sure he or she has a good reputation, and performs this surgery frequently, safely and with good results. Your personal physician often can tell you who is qualified and respected in your local medical community. Other satisfied patients can also be good referrals.

James H. Schmidt, MD
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Face lift cost factors

+5

The cost of a facelift varies according to location, components of the facelift, and experience and reputation of the Surgeon. In additon to the Doctor's fee there is also the facility fee.

1-Location:

Costs will be higher in large metropolitan areas, and lower in smaller cities. Cities like New York, DC, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Miami, and Chicago will have the most expensive fees.

2- Components of the facelift:

A "full facelift" has several components. The forehead, The Midface, and the Lower face (usually includes the neck).

"Add ons" may be injecting fat or doing the upper and lower eyelids.

3- Experience and reputation: An experienced surgeon with an established track record will obviously be able to charge a higher fee. This does not mean that whoever charges a high fee is necessarily better. Do your homework and ask around.

4 The Facility fee: This is the cost of the Operating Room as well as the anesthesiologist. The cost of the anesthesia provider can vary depending on wether you use a nurse or a Doctor. The cost of the operating room will usually be lower in a surgicenter. This is one case where high price may not be necessarily better. Hospitals high a higher cost structure in general, and their staff may not be proficient in highly specialized plastic surgery procedures.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Facelift Costs in Florida!

+5

The term Facelift usually describes a lifting procedure of the Cheeks and Neck including tightening the covering of the muscle layer called the SMAS to improve and prolong the result. It usually does not include the forehead lift/brow lift , eyelid surgery(Blepharoplasty), dermal fillers, laser, or fat grafting.

If you notice improvement in the mirror when lifting the cheeks with your fingers and the neck with your thumbs, this is probably what you need.

The good news is today's Facelift should give a dramatic result and be natural in appearance because of improvements in the technique.

Keep in mind that rejuvenation of the face is different in each patient since often more than one area may be involved.  Sometimes a Facelift may be combined with a brow lift or eyelid surgery(Blepharoplasty) in order to get the best result.  I often add fat grafting and fractional CO2 laser to my facial rejuvenation procedures because it greatly improves the overall result.  This can add to the cost so make sure you are comparing apples to apples.  More importantly make sure you are looking at the costs in the right light.  Remember, this is your face and you want the best care possible, not the least expensive.

The cost of a Facelift in my practice in southwest Florida is approximately 8000 dollars which includes the operating room charges and anesthesia fees. Remember that when you obtain a quote over the phone, sometimes you hear only the surgeons fee. Also many patients may require additional procedures like Blepharoplasty for the eyes and fractional CO2 laser or dermal fillers for wrinkles which will increase the costs.

Facelift Quote important Points:

1. Make sure your Facelift will include correcting the cheek and neck laxity and includes a SMAS lift or plication.
  2. Make sure all fees including anesthesia, operating room are part of the final total.
  3. Find out how long the quote is valid. We honor quotes for 90 days.
  4. Ask about financing if needed. Care credit seems to be a good source in my experience.

David L. Mobley, MD, FACS
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Facelift is a category more than a specific operation

+5

Patients may think that having a facelift is like getting a specific product and not understand that it is merely a convenient way to categorize cosmetic surgery of the face. There are many variations,, subcategories, and individual modicifications as well as manuveurs that one may think of as accessories or ancillary procedures: subcutaneous, deep-plane, subperiosteal, SMAS, short scar, endoscopic, platysmal plication, submental lipectomy, fat grafting, mid-face lift, etc., etc. These all refer to different aspects of a"facelift." It is sort of like asking how much it casts to remodel a kitchen. It all depends on what you do, what quality of material you use, and who you have do the work. Some places advertise for $3995 and some surgeon charge over $50,000. Start with good reputable surgeons first. Never just have surgery based primarily on cost. .That coud lead you down an even more expensive path of discontent. A good surgeon can always adjust the cost but money cannot adjust the judgment and expertise of a surgeon

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Facelift Cost

+4

A full facelift has quite a few components.  The facelift usually helps correct the aging processes of the lower face, the upper face (not including the brows or eyelids), and the neck.   The price for a full facelift probably runs from $8000 to $20,000 or more.  Less involved procedures such as minifacelift with shorter scars and less dissection would be less.  In addition, isolated neck lifts would be less.  Keep in mind that a browlift and upper and lower eyelid surgery can add at least $5000 to the cost.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Facelift Cost varies with complexity and scope

+4

As you know, the economic downturn has caused the 'cheap facelift' to flourish.  In several offices near my two offices in southern California, one company has created a branded cheap, quick facelift under local anesthesia for $7500.  They pay the doc of the day about $500 per operation and keep the rest.  the patient follows-up with the doc of the day and the result lasts for about one year.  

Alternatively, what I do for a lower facelift costs about double that price and lasts about 5 to 8 years or longer. Additionally, I do not usually perform a lower facelift alone so that the patient maintains facial harmony. For this, endoscopic browlift, upper and lower eyelids, midfacelift, and lower facelift together, the charges start to mount. The best thing to do is to have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Jay Calvert, MD