I know saline breast implants are less expensive than silicone implants - what is the approximate price difference?
How Much Do Saline Breast Implants Cost?
Doctor Answers (15)
You have to know what you're paying for.
Best of luck.
Break down of implant and surgery costs
In looking at the a price quote for breast augmentation, you should consider many variables.
1. The Surgeon's Fee. This can vary widely depending on the experience and results and thus demand for that surgeon. This also sometimes depends on technique. For example, a sub-muscular placement of an implant is much faster and thus takes less work for the surgeon than a sub-fascial placement of the implant that takes twice as long.
2. The Implant. The breast implant price depends on using a saline, memory gel, or highly cohesive (gummybear) implants. Usually saline implants cost about $1,000 for a pair, memory gel $2,000, and highly cohesive $3,000. If fat is used instead of an implant, then usually a fat harvest charge is used instead of implant fee as liposuction supplies are used and the fat purified in a variety of methods. The size of the implant does not matter, only the type of implant. If a dermal matrix is needed then there is an additional charge (usually about $1,000). In revisions, often the same implant can be used which saves on the implant costs. If a breast lift alone is performed, then obviously there is no implant cost.
3. Anesthesia. This can vary as well. If a board certified anesthesiologist is used then the price is higher. If a CRNA (nurse anesthetist) then the price is lower. It is even lower when a doctor just uses a non-certified anesthetist nurse, or just a medical assistant to push the anesthetic drugs (yes, this actually does happen).
4. Facility Fee. This can vary if the surgeon is using a certified surgery center or hospital vs. his non-certified office.
These four components make the total price, so it is best to break these down so the patient knows exactly what she is getting.
Realself has an average cost for each city.
Pablo Prichard, MD
Varies depending on city and surgeon
You might also like...
How much do saline breast implants cost?
How Much Do Saline Breast Implants Cost?
Thank you for the question.
You will find that the cost of surgery will differ from one geographic area to another, as well as from one practice to another. You will also find that the cost of surgery vary depending on exactly what procedure is recommended/performed.
Generally speaking, I think you will find the cost of surgery to range from between $5-$7000.
You will be best off doing your due diligence carefully in the selection of plastic surgeon. Only in person consultation will provide you with the detailed information you should obtain prior to making any decisions about proceeding with surgery.
You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
I would also suggest that you do not base your selection of plastic surgeon primarily on costs of surgery; keep in mind that revisionary surgery may be more costly in many ways.
I hope this, and the attached link, helps.
Saline Breast Implants
You’re absolutely right; the variability in pricing for implants themselves is a point of confusion for many patients. It all boils down to how much the surgeon acquires the implants for, and what value they attribute to the implant for you, as the consumer.
In order to simplify things, it’s easiest to make sure you understand what the OVERALL cost of the procedure is, and what precisely it includes in terms of cost and expertise in your geographical region. Our range depending on your specific needs for Saline Implants is $4,500 - $6,500. Implants only, have a price difference between $500 - 1,000. It should absolutely be all-inclusive, and the most influential factors include,
- Is this an actual Plastic Surgeon performing the operation?
- Is the plastic surgeon Fellowship Trained specifically in aesthetic plastic surgery?
- Does the surgeon hold privileges at a local hospital, as a Plastic Surgeon?
- Where will the surgery be performed? Hospital or certified outpatient surgery center?
- What type of anesthesia will be used? General versus local anesthesia?
Choose your surgeon based NOT only on price, but whether you feel he would truly walk you thru the process and can achieve your long-term aesthetic goals. Also, it is not unreasonable to ask to speak to prior patients, visit the surgical facility, and see before and after photos.
You should also keep in mind that your choice of plastic surgery practice and surgeon, should also be a long-term choice. Chances are that you may want further services for yourself, family, and friends and want to establish a place where you become a member of the family. So be sure you love the staff, and the overall feel of the office. This should be a long-term investment in your future.
While each practice has their own pricing guidelines, the cost differential is generally $1000 to $1500.
Price of Saline Breast Implants
As the other physicians indicated, the prices for breast augmentation can vary, sometimes significantly.
If possible, visit many plastic surgery websites and select a few physicians based on their training, experience, results (including mamny nefore and after photos), reputation. and philosophy. The most expensive surgeon may or may not be the ideal surgeon for you. "Lowball" pricing may often be an attempt to fill an empty O.R. schedule, or may not be the inclusive cost of surgery.
In my practice, the price for breast augmentation is $6800.00 for Saline and $7500.00 for Silicone. This price includes all pre and post-operative visits, pain control pump, a body garment, board certified anesthesiologist, operating room charges, and no aditional change for an overnight hospital visit if the patient elects to do so. We insist that out of town patients stay in the hospital overnight.
In order not have any surprises, ask if there are additional potential chages for pre or post-operative visits, pain control devices,or garments. Be sure that there are no additional charges for office visits. There should never be a charge for an office visit if a patient has a concern. In fact, most plastic surgeons want to see you if you have a concern.
Ask if the fee you have been given includes the O.R. staff , equipment and supplies including pain pumps, garments, and of course a board certified anesthesiologist.
Please do not make your decision on the plastic surgeon based on who has the lowest price without looking at the whole picture and taking your time researching to find the right plastic surgeon for you. Always, ask to see many photographs, speak to patients and ask your own physician about any plastic surgeon you are considering.
How much do saline implants cost.
Saline implants cost 1000$ for the pair (this is just for the implants). you have to also pay for them to be put in.
Breast Augmentation Cost in Columbus Ohio
I encourage you to make sure your surgeon is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and that that person is someone you would trust after meeting with them at your consultation. Cheapest may not be best and you may find yourself paying more money later to fix complications that have arisen from having surgery with someone who is not properly trained in plastic surgery.
In Columbus, Ohio, for example, our total costs for breast augmentation are currently $4500-5100 for saline implants and $5000-5900 for silicone implants.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.