How Much Does Breast Explantation Cost?

I am now 63 and am beginning to realize that no other woman my age has such full and perky breasts as I do. I am beginning to feel self-conscious and expect that as I grow older, this will become more of a problem for me. I want to know if breast explantation is an option, what could be done to ensure my breasts would become much smaller and how much this would cost.

Breast Implant Explantation Costs

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Plastic surgery fees depend on the geographic location and the expertise of the surgeon. With breast implant revision, you can choose to remove the implants completely or move to a smaller size.  Removal of the implants tends to range from $2500 to $5000.  Breast implant exchenge tends to be between $4000 and $7000.

Insurance will cover explantation

I'm a bit suprised this hasn't been mentioned yet...

If you're looking for just explantation most medical insurance covers this, meaning that the cost to you would be your co-pay. I would definitely look into this option first.

But keep in mind that insurance companies will NOT cover things like replacing implants, performing a breast lift or other cosmetic procedures. Some people can be disappointed with the look of their breasts after explantation without additional procedures.

In my San Francisco practice we make sure that if a procedure can be covered by insurance that option is presented.

Steven Williams, MD

Cost of Breast Implant Removal

The cost of breast implant removal will depend upon the type of procedure used. If you have a relatively new implant (less than 5 years), have no contracture, no rupture, deflation, calcification,or breast pain, you can just have the implants removed without removing the capsules. You will need a breast ultrasound or breast MRI to determine the integrity of these implants before deciding on what procedure is best for you. Implant removal without removal of the capsules costs about $1500 for the professional fee plus facility fee. If you need the capsules removed in addition to the implants, it will cost more, about three to four thousand, for the professional fee plus facility and anesthesia fees. These fees, of course, will depend upon the geographical area. I hope this is helpful.

Lu-Jean Feng, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant removal

Implant explantation can easily be done as an outpatient.  The surgeons fee wil depend on the geographic location, and the certification of the surgeon.  Seek a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) for consultation.  He will determine your need based on the type of implants you have, and if he will be removing the scar tissue.  If possible, bring a copy of your operative report from your past surgery to your consultation.  This always helps.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Costs Associated With Breast Implant Removal

The first step is to find a board-certified surgeon with whom you feel comfortable and who performs frequent breast procedures. If your surgeon determines you are a candidate for explantation, you will need to decide how much surgery you are interested in. You may require a breast lift or smaller implants, and this would be determined by what type of implants you have currently. The costs associated with your procedure will depend on your health and other factors as well, and are great questions to ask your surgeon at your consultation.

Brian Coan, MD
Durham Plastic Surgeon

Removal of breast implants

Explantation of breast implants can be either a cosmetic procedure, a medically necessary procedure, or some combination of those. If your breast implants have ruptured or caused high-grade capsular contracture, your insurance company may partially cover a portion of your fees. If you would like your implants removed for cosmetic reasons, the price of the procedure will depend on the expertise of the surgeon and your geographic location. Also consider that sometimes removing breast implants leaves excess loose skin or drooping breasts, which can require a breast lift type of procedure. Discuss these issues with your surgeon. Best of luck.

Lara Devgan, MD, MPH

Breast explantation cost

Many women with breast implants choose explantation at some point in their lives.   Usually the biggest concern/fear is about postoperative appearance, especially if no other procedures (such as breast lift) are performed simultaneously.   My experience with women for whom I have performed explantation is that that are ALMOST ALWAYS more satisfied with their post-explantation appearance than they THOUGHT THEY WOULD BE!  It is an exception for a woman to ask for re-augmentation at a later date!  Many factors will affect appearance after explantation (e.g., how big the implants are compared with the original size of the breast, child bearing after augmentation) and the ease of removal (e.g., saline vs silicone, ruptured, capsular thickening/calcification).  In a best case scenario of non-encapsulated saline implants, removal can be performed easily under STRAIGHT LOCAL (or, of course, with oral or even iv sedation) in less than 30 minutes and should rarely require oral analgesics after the procedure.  Cost can range from $2000 to over $5000, not including other procedures such as breast lift.

Varies based on the specific procedure involved

The cost of breast implant removal carries based on whether the scar needs to be removed with the implants.  You will need to be evaluated for a specific procedure in order to get an idea of the cost.  Depending on the procedure, it can vary from $4000 to $8000.

Cost Range in Midwest, U.S. for Implant Removal: $2500-3500 (When Combines with Lift: $6000-$7500)

Breast augmentation patients occasionally request removal of their breast implants for a variety of medical, surgical and aesthetic reasons.  When this procedure is performed it’s not unusual for patients to undergo simultaneous breast lift surgery to address associated breast sag.

Prices vary widely and depend on several variables.  It’s important to make sure the fee quote includes the surgeon’s fee, facility fee, anesthesia charges and the pre and post-operative care. Each of these components may vary widely depending upon the surgeon’s practice.

Generally, surgeons who operate in dedicated outpatient cosmetic surgery centers are able to offer lower facility fees than those who operate in hospitals.  The surgeon’s fee can vary depending on regional differences and levels of local competition.  Anesthesia fees can vary and this may be related to the use of a nurse anesthetist versus a physician anesthesiologist. 

When all of these variables are considered fees in the mid-western United States for explantation of breast implants ranges between $2500 and $3500.  When combined with breast lift surgery the fee varies between $6000 and $7500.  It’s important to remember that although price is an important component of your decision it’s not the only consideration.  Make sure that your plastic surgeon is board certified and has the appropriate qualification and experience.   

How much does breast explantation cost?

Costs for breast implant removal will certainly vary depending on your location. Things to factor in for the procedure standpoint will be the facility fee, anesthesia fee, surgeon fee, other fees (e.g., breast lift, capsule removal, surgical garment, etc.).   A range in price ~$4-8 is not unreasonable. $4-6k would be a reasonable cost on average.  A consultation with a plastic surgeon will help you in determining which procedure(s) would be the right one for you. Cost also depends on the complexity of your case and how much work would need to be done to achieve an aesthetically-pleasing result for you. Good luck!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD