How Much Does Breast Explantation Cost?

I am now 63 and am beginning to realize that no other woman my age has such full and perky breasts as I do. I am beginning to feel self-conscious and expect that as I grow older, this will become more of a problem for me. I want to know if breast explantation is an option, what could be done to ensure my breasts would become much smaller and how much this would cost.

Insurance will cover explantation

I'm a bit suprised this hasn't been mentioned yet...

If you're looking for just explantation most medical insurance covers this, meaning that the cost to you would be your co-pay. I would definitely look into this option first.

But keep in mind that insurance companies will NOT cover things like replacing implants, performing a breast lift or other cosmetic procedures. Some people can be disappointed with the look of their breasts after explantation without additional procedures.

In my San Francisco practice we make sure that if a procedure can be covered by insurance that option is presented.

Steven Williams, MD

4000 Dublin Blvd
Dublin, CA 94568

Removing breast implants

There are many reasons for removing breast implants; stretched skin, too big, wrinkling, rippling, pain and displacement of the implants.  If the implants are removed only and no other ancillary procedure performed (breast implant exchange, breast lift, liposuction, fat grafting) the cost will be around $2,000-3,000.  This is a simple, basically painless outpatient procedure.  Some women even elect to deflate their saline implants and leave the bags in place, so NO SUGERY is necessary, just an office visit.  That would run around $500.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

4911 South 118 Street
Omaha, NE 68137

Breast explantation cost

Many women with breast implants choose explantation at some point in their lives.   Usually the biggest concern/fear is about postoperative appearance, especially if no other procedures (such as breast lift) are performed simultaneously.   My experience with women for whom I have performed explantation is that that are ALMOST ALWAYS more satisfied with their post-explantation appearance than they THOUGHT THEY WOULD BE!  It is an exception for a woman to ask for re-augmentation at a later date!  Many factors will affect appearance after explantation (e.g., how big the implants are compared with the original size of the breast, child bearing after augmentation) and the ease of removal (e.g., saline vs silicone, ruptured, capsular thickening/calcification).  In a best case scenario of non-encapsulated saline implants, removal can be performed easily under STRAIGHT LOCAL (or, of course, with oral or even iv sedation) in less than 30 minutes and should rarely require oral analgesics after the procedure.  Cost can range from $2000 to over $5000, not including other procedures such as breast lift.

Andrew P. Amunategui, MD

21355 E Dixie Hwy
Aventura, FL 33180

Insurance will cover costs of explantation (capsule removal, code 19371) if there is medical necessity and if complications of cosmetic surgery are not excluded.  It is usually important to have the capsule removed (the scar tissue around the implant) in order to avoid infection, seroma, and problems with cancer detection according to the peer reviewed literature in plastic surgery.  Costs depend on the surgery fee (usually $1500 to $2500 per side) plus OR and anesthesia fees.  The problem is that many plastic surgeons quote you for implant not capsule removal which takes about 45 minutes rather than 4 hours.  Our self pay rates for explantations that take 4 hours are around $6000 but include pathology, wound cultures, and other important tests if one is ill from the implants.  Some of these tests do not have to be done if you are not ill.  Drains are usually needed for 4 to 7 days in order to avoid fluid collections.  Many women who are ill, fail to improve until the capsule is completely removed and often have to have more than one surgery if the first surgery does not completely remove the capsule.  Retained capsules in all patients have the possibility of fluid collection and problems with cancer detection, especially if their has been silicone leakage into the capsule over time.

Susan Kolb, MD

4370 Georgetown Square
Atlanta, GA 30338

Cost of Breast Implant Removal

The cost of breast implant removal will depend upon the type of procedure used. If you have a relatively new implant (less than 5 years), have no contracture, no rupture, deflation, calcification,or breast pain, you can just have the implants removed without removing the capsules. You will need a breast ultrasound or breast MRI to determine the integrity of these implants before deciding on what procedure is best for you. Implant removal without removal of the capsules costs about $1500 for the professional fee plus facility fee. If you need the capsules removed in addition to the implants, it will cost more, about three to four thousand, for the professional fee plus facility and anesthesia fees. These fees, of course, will depend upon the geographical area. I hope this is helpful.

Lu-Jean Feng, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

31200 Pinetree Road
Pepper Pike, OH 44124

Cost Range in Midwest, U.S. for Implant Removal: $2500-3500 (When Combines with Lift: $6000-$7500)

Breast augmentation patients occasionally request removal of their breast implants for a variety of medical, surgical and aesthetic reasons.  When this procedure is performed it’s not unusual for patients to undergo simultaneous breast lift surgery to address associated breast sag.

Prices vary widely and depend on several variables.  It’s important to make sure the fee quote includes the surgeon’s fee, facility fee, anesthesia charges and the pre and post-operative care. Each of these components may vary widely depending upon the surgeon’s practice.

Generally, surgeons who operate in dedicated outpatient cosmetic surgery centers are able to offer lower facility fees than those who operate in hospitals.  The surgeon’s fee can vary depending on regional differences and levels of local competition.  Anesthesia fees can vary and this may be related to the use of a nurse anesthetist versus a physician anesthesiologist. 

When all of these variables are considered fees in the mid-western United States for explantation of breast implants ranges between $2500 and $3500.  When combined with breast lift surgery the fee varies between $6000 and $7500.  It’s important to remember that although price is an important component of your decision it’s not the only consideration.  Make sure that your plastic surgeon is board certified and has the appropriate qualification and experience.   

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114

Breast Implant removal

Implant explantation can easily be done as an outpatient.  The surgeons fee wil depend on the geographic location, and the certification of the surgeon.  Seek a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) for consultation.  He will determine your need based on the type of implants you have, and if he will be removing the scar tissue.  If possible, bring a copy of your operative report from your past surgery to your consultation.  This always helps.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

980 Johnson Ferry Road
Atlanta, GA 30342

How much for implant removal

The prices for implant removal vary from location to location across the country. Also, depending on your situation, insurance may cover some or all of the cost of the removal. 

Francis X. Fleming, MD
Kennewick Plastic Surgeon

104 Columbia Point Drive
Richland, WA 99352

How Much Does Breast Explantation Cost

Thank you for submitting your question.  The price of a procedure will vary from city to city.  Breast implant removal in the Dallas area ranges from $3,500-$5,000.  Insurance may cover removal if their is a complication of the implant such as a rupture or contracture.  Consult with a board certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best Wishes.

Jeff Angobaldo, MD

5880 Ashmill Dr
Plano, TX 75024

Wide range of possible costs for implant removal

The cost of an implant removal surgery depends on the specifics of that procedure and can only be determined by an in-person consult.  The simplest removal procedure is often removal of a saline implant without any additional reshaping of the breast.  This can often be a fairly short surgery and at has a lower cost.  Silicone implants, particularly if they are older implants or ruptured, can be more complicated requiring a longer surgery and greater expense.  Finally, a breast lift is often an excellent way to restore the breast to a smaller size while maintaining an aesthetically pleasing shape.  This is a much more complicated procedure and is more expensive, though worth it as it is very likely to restore the breast contour that you would be most comfortable wtih.

Emily A. Williams, MD
Spokane Plastic Surgeon

530 South Cowley Street
Spokane, WA 99202