How Much Does Breast Explantation Cost?

I am now 63 and am beginning to realize that no other woman my age has such full and perky breasts as I do. I am beginning to feel self-conscious and expect that as I grow older, this will become more of a problem for me. I want to know if breast explantation is an option, what could be done to ensure my breasts would become much smaller and how much this would cost.

Insurance will cover explantation

+4

I'm a bit suprised this hasn't been mentioned yet...

If you're looking for just explantation most medical insurance covers this, meaning that the cost to you would be your co-pay. I would definitely look into this option first.

But keep in mind that insurance companies will NOT cover things like replacing implants, performing a breast lift or other cosmetic procedures. Some people can be disappointed with the look of their breasts after explantation without additional procedures.

In my San Francisco practice we make sure that if a procedure can be covered by insurance that option is presented.

Steven Williams, MD

Breast Implant Explantation Costs

+3

Plastic surgery fees depend on the geographic location and the expertise of the surgeon. With breast implant revision, you can choose to remove the implants completely or move to a smaller size.  Removal of the implants tends to range from $2500 to $5000.  Breast implant exchenge tends to be between $4000 and $7000.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Breast explanation

+2

Breast implant removal can certainly be done, and it is not at all unusual for a women to get tired of them, especially if your breasts have either sagged or gotten larger since the implants were initially placed.  A simple implant removal can cost as little as $3000, but the costs can go up,if you need something like a lift done at the same time.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Breast Implant removal

+2

Implant explantation can easily be done as an outpatient.  The surgeons fee wil depend on the geographic location, and the certification of the surgeon.  Seek a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) for consultation.  He will determine your need based on the type of implants you have, and if he will be removing the scar tissue.  If possible, bring a copy of your operative report from your past surgery to your consultation.  This always helps.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Breast Explantation Can Be Done Inexpensively

+2

Breast implants can be done with local anesthesia using your existing breast augmentation scars.

Do discuss with your surgeon whether use of a drain and capsule removal is recommended for you.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Explantation

+1
Insurance will cover costs of explantation (capsule removal, code 19371) if there is medical necessity and if complications of cosmetic surgery are not excluded.  It is usually important to have the capsule removed (the scar tissue around the implant) in order to avoid infection, seroma, and problems with cancer detection according to the peer reviewed literature in plastic surgery.  Costs depend on the surgery fee (usually $1500 to $2500 per side) plus OR and anesthesia fees.  The problem is that many plastic surgeons quote you for implant not capsule removal which takes about 45 minutes rather than 4 hours.  Our self pay rates for explantations that take 4 hours are around $6000 but include pathology, wound cultures, and other important tests if one is ill from the implants.  Some of these tests do not have to be done if you are not ill.  Drains are usually needed for 4 to 7 days in order to avoid fluid collections.  Many women who are ill, fail to improve until the capsule is completely removed and often have to have more than one surgery if the first surgery does not completely remove the capsule.  Retained capsules in all patients have the possibility of fluid collection and problems with cancer detection, especially if their has been silicone leakage into the capsule over time.

Susan Kolb, MD

Cost of Breast Implant Removal

+1
The cost of breast implant removal will depend upon the type of procedure used. If you have a relatively new implant (less than 5 years), have no contracture, no rupture, deflation, calcification,or breast pain, you can just have the implants removed without removing the capsules. You will need a breast ultrasound or breast MRI to determine the integrity of these implants before deciding on what procedure is best for you. Implant removal without removal of the capsules costs about $1500 for the professional fee plus facility fee. If you need the capsules removed in addition to the implants, it will cost more, about three to four thousand, for the professional fee plus facility and anesthesia fees. These fees, of course, will depend upon the geographical area. I hope this is helpful.

Lu-Jean Feng, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Cost Range in Midwest, U.S. for Implant Removal: $2500-3500 (When Combines with Lift: $6000-$7500)

+1

Breast augmentation patients occasionally request removal of their breast implants for a variety of medical, surgical and aesthetic reasons.  When this procedure is performed it’s not unusual for patients to undergo simultaneous breast lift surgery to address associated breast sag.

Prices vary widely and depend on several variables.  It’s important to make sure the fee quote includes the surgeon’s fee, facility fee, anesthesia charges and the pre and post-operative care. Each of these components may vary widely depending upon the surgeon’s practice.

Generally, surgeons who operate in dedicated outpatient cosmetic surgery centers are able to offer lower facility fees than those who operate in hospitals.  The surgeon’s fee can vary depending on regional differences and levels of local competition.  Anesthesia fees can vary and this may be related to the use of a nurse anesthetist versus a physician anesthesiologist. 

When all of these variables are considered fees in the mid-western United States for explantation of breast implants ranges between $2500 and $3500.  When combined with breast lift surgery the fee varies between $6000 and $7500.  It’s important to remember that although price is an important component of your decision it’s not the only consideration.  Make sure that your plastic surgeon is board certified and has the appropriate qualification and experience.   

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

How much does breast explantation cost?

+1
Costs for breast implant removal will certainly vary depending on your location. Things to factor in for the procedure standpoint will be the facility fee, anesthesia fee, surgeon fee, other fees (e.g., breast lift, capsule removal, surgical garment, etc.).   A range in price ~$4-8 is not unreasonable. $4-6k would be a reasonable cost on average.  A consultation with a plastic surgeon will help you in determining which procedure(s) would be the right one for you. Cost also depends on the complexity of your case and how much work would need to be done to achieve an aesthetically-pleasing result for you. Good luck!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breast Implant Removal

+1
The cost of breast implant removal will vary based on location and surgeon, but a fee of $4000-6000 is reasonable; in some cases, insurance will cover this cost, although this has not been common in my experience.

You will have drains in the breasts for about 1 week, and the incisions will be placed beneath the breast fold. Recovery time will be in the 1 to 2 week range, but there will be little discomfort. The breasts will be significantly more drooping after removing breast implants, and this is something to consider. A subsequent lift can be performed (in around 3+ months) but this will require another surgery and scars placed onto the breasts. Make sure that you understand the changes you will incur before considering breast implant removal.

Adam J. Oppenheimer, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon