How Long Does It Take to See Final Liposuction Result?

I noticed immediate results a few days after having lipo, then weeks later, the results vanished. How long until I see the final and lasting result of my liposuction procedure?

Four months.

+9

To Yigall,

Hi! The reason your results from liposuction " vanished" is that swelling developed to create fullness. This swelling gradually fades and you begin to see again the improvement in contour.

There is another reason besides swelling that the contour improves over several months. In addition to the fat cells removed with liposuction, many other fat cells are not removed but only injured by the liposuction cannula. These injured fat cells slowly ATROPHY over several months and then of course the treated area (thigh, abdomen, etc.) SHRINKS!

6 months to a year

+6

Yigall,

It takes at least 3 months for most of the swelling to go away after liposuction. Truely final results are not fully apparent until 1 year.

You will have 80-90 percent of your final result by 6 months. however I have seen patients who looked even better after 1 year than they did after 6 months.

I always encourage patients to wait a year before considering any revision or repeat liposuction. Only then can we evaluate the full extent of fat removal and skin tigthtening and make a reasonable plan for any revision or further liposuction.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Your final result can usually be seen by 3 months, although this varies by individual and body area.

+4

Liposuction helps to improve the shape of a body area by removing fat. Multiple tunnels are made underneath the skin, preserving the supporting structures while suctioning out the fat.

The resulting tissue scaffold is similar in concept to a honeycomb. The empty channels from which the fat has been removed tend to fill with fluid postoperatively. Compression garments are recommended to limit the amount of fluid that can accumulate in the suctioned areas, thereby shortening the time until you see your final result.

Your body will resorb all of this fluid over time. Although the rate of resorption varies among different body areas and among different individuals, in my practice most patients attain their final and lasting result by 3 months.

James C. Grotting, MD, FACS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

It can take 3 to 6 months for your final results.

+3

Yigalll,

Often after liposuction, you see very nice results right away. Then, over the next day or two the areas become very swollen and it looks like nothing was ever done. It can take several months for this swelling to go completely away. Approximately 80% will resolve in the first month and then three to six months for the remaining 20%.Also, if you wear a garment, it may help keep down the initial swelling.

Finally, just because you had liposuction, it does not mean that you can let your body go. You need to continue to exercise and eat a nutritious diet. Liposuction is not a miracle, it is just a second chance after letting your body go the first time.

Good luck with your recovery.

David Shafer, MD

Liposuction Healing

+2

Lipo is great for instant-gratification seekers, but don't fret if you still see imperfections in your shape several weeks later. It can take 4 months, even a year, to get an accurate picture of how the body will look once the swelling subsides and everything settles into place. Lipo patients who started out especially overweight will have to bide their time before realizing their dream results, because it takes several weeks for skin to redrape over the new area and for tissue to heal completely.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Liposuction results

+2

Results are seen the after surgery. Swelling varies from person to person. On average it could take up to 3-6 months to see your final result. Keep the areas compressed and less swelling will occur.

Jaime Perez, MD

4-6 Months

+2

Swelling varies from person to person, but generally, it takes 4-6 months to see the final result.  There is fluid retention for the first few weeks after any surgical procedure. You can get some bloating with pain pills as well.  Exercise with help immensely at this point.  Be patient.

William H. Huffaker, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction Results

+1
Thank you for your question about liposuction results. The results you noticed immediately after surgery were from a reduction of fat in the area you had treated and that's great! Afterwards, yoy started to swell and swelling changed the appearance of the area. The good news is, this is completely normal and it will go away. If you're patient, you'll notice a steady improvement over the coming 6-9 months and a final result at 1 year. Best Wishes!

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Liposuction Results

+1
Hello and thank you for your question.  I typically tell patients that it takes about 3 months to see your definitive results from liposuction.  Most of the swelling subsides after the first 4-6 weeks, but the residual swelling may take up to 3-4 months to completely subside.  At that time, your true representative results will be manifested.  

Bill Kortesis, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Results May Take Up to 4-6 Months Following Lipo

+1

Final liposuction results vary from patient to patient.  It also depends on the amount of fat removed.   Commonly, one would expect approximately 80% of the swelling to subside within the first three to five weeks.  The final 20% might take as long as four to six months. 

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon