How Long Does It Take to See Final Liposuction Result?

I noticed immediate results a few days after having lipo, then weeks later, the results vanished. How long until I see the final and lasting result of my liposuction procedure?

Four months.

To Yigall,

Hi! The reason your results from liposuction " vanished" is that swelling developed to create fullness. This swelling gradually fades and you begin to see again the improvement in contour.

There is another reason besides swelling that the contour improves over several months. In addition to the fat cells removed with liposuction, many other fat cells are not removed but only injured by the liposuction cannula. These injured fat cells slowly ATROPHY over several months and then of course the treated area (thigh, abdomen, etc.) SHRINKS!

Your final result can usually be seen by 3 months, although this varies by individual and body area.

Liposuction helps to improve the shape of a body area by removing fat. Multiple tunnels are made underneath the skin, preserving the supporting structures while suctioning out the fat.

The resulting tissue scaffold is similar in concept to a honeycomb. The empty channels from which the fat has been removed tend to fill with fluid postoperatively. Compression garments are recommended to limit the amount of fluid that can accumulate in the suctioned areas, thereby shortening the time until you see your final result.

Your body will resorb all of this fluid over time. Although the rate of resorption varies among different body areas and among different individuals, in my practice most patients attain their final and lasting result by 3 months.

6 months to a year

Yigall,

It takes at least 3 months for most of the swelling to go away after liposuction. Truely final results are not fully apparent until 1 year.

You will have 80-90 percent of your final result by 6 months. however I have seen patients who looked even better after 1 year than they did after 6 months.

I always encourage patients to wait a year before considering any revision or repeat liposuction. Only then can we evaluate the full extent of fat removal and skin tigthtening and make a reasonable plan for any revision or further liposuction.

It can take 3 to 6 months for your final results.

Yigalll,

Often after liposuction, you see very nice results right away. Then, over the next day or two the areas become very swollen and it looks like nothing was ever done. It can take several months for this swelling to go completely away. Approximately 80% will resolve in the first month and then three to six months for the remaining 20%.Also, if you wear a garment, it may help keep down the initial swelling.

Finally, just because you had liposuction, it does not mean that you can let your body go. You need to continue to exercise and eat a nutritious diet. Liposuction is not a miracle, it is just a second chance after letting your body go the first time.

Good luck with your recovery.

David Shafer, MD

Final liposuction result

Results after liposuction can be very tricky initially if you look at yourself in the first day or two after the procedure and while you're in the garment it appears that you seen marked improvement but then swelling sets in and even with the garment on its hard to sometimes see the result but usually by the end of 4 to 5 weeks you start beginning to seeing the results and at the end of about three months you really can tell the difference.

Liposuction Healing

Lipo is great for instant-gratification seekers, but don't fret if you still see imperfections in your shape several weeks later. It can take 4 months, even a year, to get an accurate picture of how the body will look once the swelling subsides and everything settles into place. Lipo patients who started out especially overweight will have to bide their time before realizing their dream results, because it takes several weeks for skin to redrape over the new area and for tissue to heal completely.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Liposuction results

Results are seen the after surgery. Swelling varies from person to person. On average it could take up to 3-6 months to see your final result. Keep the areas compressed and less swelling will occur.

Jaime Perez, MD

Results of liposuction

I tell my patients that the final results of most liposuction cases will take a full 6 months to fully mature. Although you should see some results immediately, swelling and skin tightening take much longer to fully resolve. So be patient with your recovery.
Good luck
John S Mancoll,MD 

John Mancoll, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction

Liposuction results will come gradually over six to 12 months. At first it is dramatic but patients plateau and several weeks and improve more slowly. Don't get frustrated.

Frank J. Ferraro, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Swelling can obscure early results

Swelling is normal after liposuction and can persist for at least 3-6 months following your procedure.  By six months, the vast majority of your swelling will have resolved.  However, some of the minor residual swelling that continues to give your tissues  a "rubbery" feeling may take up to a year to fully resolve.