How Long Does the Thread Lift Last?

14% Satisfaction

+4

14% is the satisfaction rate on this website from threadlifts, the lowest of any recorded category.

Comments from patients cover the gamut, from it didn't work, it didn't work long enough, facial distortion, extruding hooks, chronic pain, palpable lumps, etc. In our practice, we remove suture material from threadlifts on a weekly basis, usually while performing the facelift that patients needed initially.

Some patients do report seeing a benefit for a year, some for up to a year and a half. Some note immediate distortion and no results beyond a few months.

Why don't threadlifts accomplish the same as a facelift if they are pulling on the same tissues?

Strings placed through the tissues without any undermining tend to pull through the tissues. They do not hold up the way that undermined and fixated tissues do (i.e. during a facelift). An experienced facelift surgeon will require 20-40 sutures, placed directly in the deep tissues alone, to hold up the layer until it heals in a higher (and lifted) position. Strings are at a disadvantage because tissues are not undermined and only a few sutures are placed.

But this information is nothing new.

Patients should go into procedures with their eyes open to what the likely results are. Stringlifts do not produce facelift results.

Not long enough!

+3

The Threadlift was a novel idea but just didn't work in reality to justify what was a significant expense. At their best, they might have had a subtle benefit for a year but usually much less than that. For that reason, I am not aware of any real plastic surgeons who can offer proper surgeries and other treatments who still offer a Threadlift in their practices.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Lifestyle lift, Thread lift....buyer beware

+1

A thread lift or lifestyle lift is a procedure touted for fast recovery and cheaper alternative to a facelift.  If it sounds to good to be true it usually is.  The operation involves placing a barbed suture under the skin and using is to pull up and back the face or neck.  Eventually the sutures break, get infected or cause distortion and can be difficult to fix.  Surprisingly it is not that cheap either.  I do not perform these types of lifts as I have seen patients with complications but never seen a patient happy with the results.  

Chad K. Wheeler, MD
Spokane Plastic Surgeon

How long does a threadlift last...

+1

The threadlift is a controversial procedure.  Many people feel as though they don't last.  The problem is that the majority of surgeons that tried them did not know how to place them properly and therefore did not achieve good results.  They are useful only for the cheek area, and the result, when placed properly can last several years.  I also perform the traditional subperiosteal midface lift as well, and in the long run, there is not a big difference between the two procedures.  They result in an enhancement of the cheek while lifting the droopy midface.  A big difference is the three weeks of swelling that accompanies the midface lift as opposed to one week with the threadlift under local anesthesia.  A good facial plastic surgeon will discuss all the options with you during consultation.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Not very long

+1

The thread lift fails after 3 to 6 months.  I put in many when they first came out and I subsequently refunded many patients and gave free facelifts to many others.  It was a horrible disappointment for all.

Nasimul Huq, MD
Niagara Falls Plastic Surgeon

How Long Does a Thread Lift Last?

+1

A thread-lift lasts for several weeks to several months and has been largely abandoned as an offered procedure. The concept of facial elevation/ repositioning without tissue mobilization doesn't make anatomic sense and works very poorly in the real world

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thread lift - good idea, poor result

+1

Most plastic surgeons who tried the thread lifts have now abandoned them.  Patients are generally disappointed with the outcomes and there is virtually no long term advantage.

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

I couldn't agree more - choose Threadlifts with caution

+1

Hi Cutz,

You have received very thorough and excellent advice from all the Doctors here.

I just wanted to add that in my experience I have seen more dissatisfied than happy Patients who have had threadlifts. I personally do not offer them to my Patients.

I do not wish to make a generalized statement on threadlifts but would strongly advise you to have a thorough exam and consultation with a Board Certified Physician to make sure you have explored all your options (surgical and nonsurgical).

Thank you and Happy Holidays,

Dr. Jafri

Kamran Jafri, MD