Will Removing the Barbed Threads Cause Tissue Damage?

Can you tell me something about potential tissue damage in the procedure of taking out the barbed threads?

No they won't usually

+3

Barbed sutures won't cause significant or permanent tissue damage when removed but don't remove them unless you absolutely have to such as they moved or are poking the skin. Dimpling can be fixed without removing them. Sometimes all you need is a few more placed strategically to give the desired effect.

The new silhouette threads and ribbon lifts are great advances in the facelift alternative group. They are now even used for buttocks lifts and are all done under local anesthesia with quick recovery times.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

It is a contest between your tissues and the thread

+2

This is my opinion based on my experienceand and not intended to be a definitive treatise on the subject,

No one know for sure. When the threads are pulled out it is essentially a tug of war between the thread and the involved tissues and you never know who is going to win.

In many instances, the tissue wins and the threads breakdown similar to the way string cheese can be peeled off. This process starts at the barb points which are cut into the main thread.

When the threads win, it tends to be when they are wrapped around a very this nerve or other structure and this can result in breaking or tearing of the nerve.

Barbed Thread Removal

+1

Usually, removing the barbed threads from a thread lift will not cause any permanent tissue damage. Speak to your doctor first, but it is very unlikely

Elliot M. Heller, MD