Liposuction Swelling - How Long Until It Goes Down?

I had my saddlebags removed six weeks ago and one of them looks lumpy and looks like if I have something in there that moves. I also had liposuction above my butt, I'm still numb and I now I have a lump. Will this go away? How long does it take for swelling to go away?

Swelling after Liposuction

+11

After liposuction, major swelling may last for a month or two. The minor swelling can linger for several months after that. The skin contraction and shrinkage takes approximately 6-9 months to occur, meaning you may not see your final result/outcome for 6 months to one year after your surgery. The compression garment is to be worn for the first 4-6 weeks to assist in the skin contraction such that an even contour is achieved.

If you notice some hard or firm areas a few weeks after surgery, this is normal. You can gently massage the area with circular motions using a lotion to help expedite the softening process of the firm, calcified fat.

Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for any other liposuction related concerns.

It takes at least 6 months to see the final result after liposuction

+9

Numbness, bumpiness and swelling are common and normal after liposuction. Time, regular exercise, and gentle massage generally resolves these issues.

Most patients will see 80% of their result at 1 month after surgery but the final result will not be seen until after all swelling resolves and the tissues have had a chance to shrink. This is usually 4 to 6 months postop.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Liposuction swelling

+8

Liposuction takes about 6 months to heal. Subtle improvement continues for another year.

• numbness? Yes, about 6 months
  • lumpiness? Yes, about 6 months
  • Why? the body heals with protein. It makes too much at first. It slowly removes what you don't need. That takes time. 
  • You feel something that moves in the saddlebag area? That's unusual. It may be fluid or loose skin. Your surgeon should be able to tell you by examining you. 
    Good luck and be patient.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Liposuction results

+6

I advise my patients to not look in the mirror for 4 months following liposuction. Final results typically take about 6 months. Contact your board certified plastic surgeon should you have specific concerns.  Best of luck!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction swelling for up to 6 months

+6

Liposuction is a very traumatic procedure for the tissues. The lymphatic tissues, or the tiny vessels that remove fluid from the tissues, are significantly damaged during liposuction. It is this reason that the swelling lasts so long. These tiny vessels need to reestablish themselves to remove this fluid.

This can take up to 6 months. However, significantly noticeable contour irregularities that need to be addressed will be visible sooner.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction takes 6 months to achieve final results

+5

I would be patient if its only been 6 weeks.  Make sure you are still using some compression garments at night, sometimes with foam compression over the area, and continue to do frequent, vigorous massages. At 3 months you will be approximately 70% of your final results, at 4 months about 80% and final results at 6 months. Be patient! 

James F. Boynton, MD

Areas that undergo liposuction often take up to 6 months...

+5

Areas that undergo liposuction often take up to 6 months for the edema (swelling) to dissipate. The rate of dissipation of the swelling is often dependent on many factors such as technique used.

The use of ultrasonic liposuction is thought by some to have a more rapid resolution of swelling. The use of tumescent techniques may affect the amount of swelling in the tissues. These techniques involve injecting large amounts of dilute lidocaine into the fat prior to suction. In addition, hormonal status, age, salt intake, genetics play a part in rate of resolution of the edema. I generally give the patients 6 months for the swelling to go down.

The numbness is absolutely normal, and usually resolves as the swelling goes down. If you have a lump that you can feel, I would suggest initiating a massage program to the area. This often helps with the swelling and may improve the contour. If the lump is still present after 6 months, re-operation may be necessary.

Wilfred Brown, MD
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Liposuction

+4

There is some degree of swelling after liposuction. 75-80% of the swelling is resolved and absorbed within the first 4-6 weeks.

There will be an additional 20% of swelling that will take time to be resolved. Favorable contraction of tissues and skin take up to a year after surgery.

However, you can accelerate your healing and improve your results by wearing tight fitting garments during the first 3 months after surgery.

Hope this was helpful.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Swelling after liposuction varies depending on the location, compression garment use, and massaging

+3

swelling after liposuction usually takes 6-12 weeks to subside, but this can vary much depending on the location of liposuction, if patient wears compression garment, and if they massage. usually the lower extremity liposuction has the longest time for the resolution of swelling. massaging the areas of liposuction greatly facilities healing and helps to smoothen the areas.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Recovery following liposuction

+3

Recovery following liposuction takes time and patients. Swelling and some bruising is normal following liposuction. The swelling and bruising should improve over the first few weeks. It generally takes 2-3 weeks to see your weight start to drop. The amount of weight you loose should be approximately equal to the amount of fat removed during the procedure. At 6 weeks post-op you should see a nice improvement in your shape. It is normal at this point to feel some firmness and lumps beneath your skin. I generally recommend message to speed us the recovery process. It takes 4 to 6 months after the procedure to see the "final" result.

I would recommend that you discuss your concerns with your Plastic Surgeon

Best regards, Andrew Lyos MD, FACS

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS