How Long Does a Deep Plane Facelift Last?

A deep place face lift really just lasts 5 - 10 years? I read this somewhere. After 5 - 10 years I look as old as before the lift? That hurts. And what do I then? Is there no way to die beautiful? (Not that I plan that at the moment, if you know what I mean.) Gabrielle

Longevity of results varies

+4

The longevity of a facelift, deep plane or otherwise, depends on the type of surgery done, the talent of your surgeon, and the nature of the tissues you bring to the operation. Some patient factors decrease the longevity such as sun damage, acne scars, and wide weight swings.

Nevertheless, a well done facelift should last your lifetime in the sense that if you have it done, the new you will always look better than if you hadn't had it done.

You Can Not Stop Aging

+3

The second your surgeon finished your operation the aging process starts. If your surgeon performed a procedure when you were twenty (would not advise that obviously) you would not stay twenty forever, because factors like cell aging, sun exposure, loss of elasticity, loss of facial volume, etc. can all cause aging in face. In a well performed facelift, if you had a twin, you would always look better than your twin if you had the procedure performed and he/she did not. A deep plane facelift is a more sophisticated technique which repositions tissues rather than the use of suture suspension. Make sure that your surgeon has extensive experience in this procedure prior to undergoing it.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Deep plane techniques should last 8-12 years

+3

A deep plane facelift is a version of SMAS facelift technique. It is a category of modern extensive facelifts, such as Composite, Deep plane, High SMAS, Extended SMAS, SMAS platysma, SMASectomy, etc.

There are many nuances to these techniques, and surgeons who practice them will tailor components to the individual patient. These techniques should "last" 8-12 years, as opposed to the mini-lifts and suture lifts that are advertised as quick recovery operations, which can be expected to last 1 to 4 years.

Michael A. Bogdan, MD, FACS

Longevity of a Facelift

+2

When explaining the duration of facelifts in regards to the aging process to my patients, I like to use the metaphor of a conveyor belt. The facelift does not stop the belt but rather picks you up and sets you back in the younger direction at some distance. That is, you would always look younger and more refreshed than if you hadn't had the procedure. The oft-quoted 7-10 year period of benefit after a facelift is a generalization and each individual ages differently, given factors such as sun exposure, genetics, and skin maintenance. The specific type of facelift used is based on the surgeon's training and experience and when performed by a specialist in this type of surgery, there shouldn't be much of a discrepancy in the longevity. Finally, while some patients have a second (or third) facelift at some point in their lives, many others do not. 

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Longevity of Deep Plane Facelift

+2

When it comes to longevity of the deep plane Facelift, there is no one right answer.

Even with the deep plane technique, longevity still is a function of how someone ages, tissue elasticity, toxic exposures (like sun and smoking), weight fluctuations, general health, hydration and diet.

Five years would be disappointing, especially for a deep plane Facelift. Fortunately, such a short-lived result is unusual. We generally see that Facelifts hold up well for 7- to 12- years, or longer.

For the vast majority of women, the results of Facelift are enduring enough to be a one-time procedure.

Of course, Facelift does not stop aging so much as it sets the process back and may seem to slow it down.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Lasting effects of the deep plane facelift

+2

A well deep plane facelift lasts just as long as a well done SMAS facelift. The difference between and deep plane facelift and other facelifts is in the elevation of the cheek fat pad ( and thus the rejuvenation of the midface) as well and the natural results it achieves.

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Deep plane facelift - longevity of results

+2

Many different types of facelifts exist--including multiple variations of the deep-plane lift. Experienced surgeons generally agree that the deep-plane lift is the longest-lasting of the lifts. We typically quote 7-10 years as the longevity of the procedure, though no study has been done to truly show this. I would say that the personal who undergoes this procedure will likely always look younger than they would have if they had not undergone the procedure. The longevity of the lift will also depend on individual factors, skin type, stress, health, etc.

Sam Most, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Deep Plane Facelift

+2

Gabrielle,

A properly done deep plane facelift is one that suspends the tissues that have sagged by their deeper tissues (rather than the skin which is the quick recovery procedure that you'll see on tv or in ads everyday). These operations require more recovery but they are also significantly longer lasting assuming they are done properly. They don't expire in their duration, in other words you simply can't state a longevity to go by like you could these other skin stretches.

These operations that suspend the deeper structures after dissecting them out will simply turn back the clock and you live on daylight savings time. You'll continue to age of course, but the changes are permanent. That is one of the great advantages of this operation that is much more difficult to perform and requires more recovery... it's an actual fix. Otherwise, we'd all be doing skin stretching facelifts every year or so to keep things up. That's a more profitable model but the skin sagging is not the only problem, it's all of the tissues sagging. Not only do they need filling but they need to be suspended properly.

Once the skin sags it it telling you that it's quality is such that you can't rely on it to hold up it's own weight. Cutting out some extra skin and sewing it to itself will predicably fail with a widened scar and a pulled, funky look. This is why the deep plane procedures were described. There are not many deep plane performing plastic surgeons but if you ask around you'll find one. The philosophy is something to be considered by every prospective facelift patient.

Best Wishes,

DoctorMeade

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Deep Plane Facelift for natural and long lasting results

+2

The deep plane facelift is an advanced surgical technique that achieves a natural looking and long lasting result. This technique represents the state of the art in facelift surgery. Rather than just tightening the skin, this procedure lifts and tightens the underlying muscle while repositioning fat to achieve a three dimensional rejuvenating result. This procedure is best performed by an experienced facial plastic surgeon who performs facelift surgery as a routine part of his or her practice.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1
Facelifts are said to last about 10 years but what we now know is that you will maintain the results from you facelift for about 5 years and then you will start to age but if your lift rolled your appearance back 10 years it is likely that you will look 10 years younger for the rest of your life. In other words, you facelift will last a life time but we don't know when you will no longer like your looks and want to something else. Very few patients get another facelift but those who do will generally be back at around 10 years.

A deep plane facelift is not much different from a SMAS facelift or a MACS lift and the longevity of these procedures has been shown to about the same.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon