How Do I Find the Best Fraxel Doctor?

seeking a great fraxel laser doctor. what should i look for?

Fraxel, Schmaxel, or Steve Trachsel?

+8

Fraxel laser was the first fractionated laser treatment, debuting about five years ago. Since that time, many laser companies have jumped on the technology bandwagon and come out with their version of fractionated laser skin rejuvenation. There is Pixel, and other fractionated laser technologies. There are also IPL lasers that some unscrupulous practitioners may treat unsuspecting patients with, saying that they are getting "Fraxel" treatment.

Reliant Technologies web site has a "locate a doctor" page. Finding a practice on that web site is a way of assuring that you are getting the actual Fraxel technology. You should also look at the actual laser machine before your treatment, which should have Reliant and Fraxel logos on its front.

Many practices have a nurse practioner performing the treatment, so ask if the doctor performs the treatment. At your consultation, ask to see the doctor's before and after pictures that pertain to your individual skin needs. Do not settle for the before and after pictures of the company only.

So, Fraxel is not Schmaxel, Pixel, or for those of you who are not baseball fans, Steve Trachsel (a pitcher for the Chicago Cubs and New York Mets).

In the Los Angeles area, call me biased, but you are the one who asked how to find the best doctor, you won't go wrong having Michael Persky, M.D. do your Fraxel treatment.

Fraxel doctor choice

+2

Find out who is doing the Fraxel procedure--you want to be sure that your doctor will be providing it rather than someone who happens to work at the office as an aesthetician. It's also worth finding out how long they have had the laser and how much experience with lasers the provider has had.

The Fraxel was developed by a group of dermatologists--just as it makes sense that you have your GI doctor do your colonoscopy, the Fraxel is best utilized by those doctors who have had advanced training working with skin and doing surgery on the skin.

Laurie Jacobson, MD
Seattle Dermatologist

How to find a great Los Angeles Fraxel physician

+2

All of the comments from the panel are good, and we would recommend word of mouth as the most reliable way to find a great practitioner.

With that said, we find that before and after pictures are a great indicator of the potential quality of the physician, especially if the person who referred you did not undergo the same treatment or for the same condition. Practitioners that have strong before and after pictures (their own, not the small ones from the manufacturer's) that indicate good results for your skin type and condition you have are preferred to those that do not have any photos. Interestingly enough, we find that many consumers do not ask for photos.

Make sure you are viewing large (8.5" x 11") glossy photos that are high resolution because you want to know that the physician is presenting their own work. Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

What to look for in a Laser Doctor

+2

Look for a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who will take time to review not just the positives but also potential complications and premptive steps that will be taken to minimize them. Do you homework and learn about benefits and limitations of Fraxel vs. Fractional CO2 Laser Resurfacing. Ideally, your laser surgeon should have performed at least 50 cases of your skin type.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

How to pick a Fraxel physician

+1

When choosing a physician for any procedure, you have to do your research. Get recommendations from your primary care physician. Talk to friends and family members and get referrals from them. Make sure that the physician you choose is board certified. When you go in for a consultation, you should feel comfortable with the physician, the office, and the staff. The doctor should take the time to listen to your questions and concerns, and understand what your goals are. You should be able to discuss all of your potential options, what you can and can't expect from each one, and any potential risks of each treatment.

Jordana S. Gilman, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Find the best Fraxel doctor by doing your research

+1

Finding the best Fraxel doctor is the same as finding the best doctor for any procedure. Do your research! Ask your friends and your other physicians. Do a google search. Google the doctors you have narrowed your search down to. Check them out with the medical board to make sure they don't have citations against them. Once you know you have a good, safe doctor then call their office and start asking questions. How long have they had the laser? How many treatments has the office done? What are the fees? I caution you not to shop by price however, usually the cheapest offices are the ones that are the most desperate for the business!

Once you are satisfied with an office then book a consultation and meet the physician and/or the nurse or physician assistant who will be performing the treatment. Make sure you have a good feeling and like the whole set-up: front office staff, back office staff and providers. Is the office clean and efficient? Once you have all the information you need and you know what feels right to you, you can make an informed decision about any procedure!

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Finding a great Fraxel Doctor

+1

Finding a great Fraxel doctor means finding a great doctor.

By that, I mean that a great Fraxel doctor needs to understand the skin, lasers and how they interact. A great doctor will try to listent to what the patients want and help them decide if the Fraxel can accomplish their goals.

The Fraxel laser is a great device but the outcomes depend on the energy settings used and this requires the physician to decide how thick the person's skin is, what their pigment can tolerate and what their level of discomfort will be.

The post treatment care is as important as the procedure (or any procedure). This requires a physician that can figure out what happens if there is a problem (rare but stuff happens).

I use several lasers and Fraxel is one of them. I love using the lasers because they enable me to fix things that I otherwise could not. When choosing a physician for a laser treatment, make sure that he or she has experience and has several devices (so they are not trying to do everything with the only laser they own or that they are renting them which means they wont have enough experience to get good).

Kenneth Beer, MD
Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon