How Do I Clean my Invisalign?

What is involved in cleaning Invisalign aligners? What do I need to do?  How long does the invisalign cleaning process take?

Cleaning Invisalign Trays

This is one of those KISS principles: Keep It Simple.

Regular toothpaste with your toothbrush is fine, and recomended. Other products can discolor the aligners, making the teeth look somewhat yellow. They are replaced every two weeks, so it is a minor issue, but if it becomes too complicated it won't be followed through.

But most importantly is to brush and floss after each meal. The aligners start to act in the way a bleaching tray does, so if food and low pH saliva are trapped, the teeth will "soak" in it.

One of the advantages of Invisalign over braces is better hygiene. Without caring for the teeth before placing the aligners, it becomes a moot point.

Tooth brush and water, retainer cleaner or Invisalign crystals, or ultrasonic

We recommend our patients clean their aligners with water and a clean toothbrush without toothpaste. Toothpastes have abrasives in them and will scratch the surfaces of the aligners. This will make the aligner look less clear and also creates small traps for bacteria.

Invisalign does not recommend this, but retainer tablets work well once or twice a week. Our patients have not had any problems with cleaning in this manner. The Invisalign crystals can be used, but are quite costly and not available outside the United States.

Finally, there are personal-sized ultrasonic cleaner available. These devices cause very fine vibrations and waves to loosen and material stuck to your aligners.

Jason K. Tam, DDS
Toronto Orthodontist

How to clean your Clear Aligner...

Hello there,
The easiest and best way to clean your clear aligner is to take them off and brush them (on the inside and the outside) each time you brush your teeth.  When finished, rinse them with water and place back into your mouth.  Yes, it is really this simple.
Good luck with everything.

Keeping Invisalign Trays Clean and Bright

Use a soft toothbrush with your regular toothpaste - brush gently cleaning out the center of the trays.  We suggest following this with a little diluted bleach rinse.  The small bit of bleach keeps the trays clear and clean looking.  This system has worked very well for our patients, allowing for clean trays and bright teeth.  Other products sometimes discolor the trays which could translate into yellower looking teeth when wearing the aligners.

Cleaning Invisalign aligners

Invisalign aligners can easily be cleaned with a mild denture cleaner with a normal tooth brush. After brushing and flossing your teeth you can pour a little mouthwash over the aligners and this will help in keeping your mouth feeling fresh.

Cate Vieregger, DDS
Denver Dentist

Cleaning your Invisalign aligners!

This is one of the most frequently asked questions by my patients who I have treated with Invisalign!

The aligners are best cleaned with a dab of toothpaste using a toothbrush. I recommend using regular toothpaste and not whitening toothpaste... some whitening toothpastes are abrasive and may dull the aligner... Additionally it is not recommended to use denture cleaners or soak them in mouthwash; again this may dull he aligners and can make the aligners more visible.

Please Please Please!!! Brush and floss your teeth before replacing the aligner in the mouth... I have seen patients present with tooth decay from not taking the time to do this...

Invisalign has cleaning crystals that the aligners can be soaked in if you do prefer to soak them.

Hope this helps... any other questions please do not hesitate to ask...

Ryan Sellinger, DMD
Manhattan Dentist

How Do I Clean my Invisalign?

Rinse your aligners when you remove them: dry saliva and plaque create a perfect breeding ground for foul smelling bacteria. Soak your aligners: denture cleaner, retainer brite, and the official Invisalign cleaning crystals are all excellent options in keeping your trays clear and sanitized.

How Do I Clean my Invisalign?

Just like you clean your teeth – a toothbrush, a little toothpaste and a gentle clean. Sometimes, it’s better to avoid the toothpaste as it can leave micro scratches or occasionally discolour the trays. Just a toothbrush and some water is fine too. Other options include cleaning tablets or dental cleaning fluid.

How Do We Clean Our Invisalign Trays?

OK so how do we take care of or how do we clean these invisalign trays.Generally the good new is that your wearing each set of trays for only about two weeks each time…and the way that we recommend that these are cleaned are just by brushing them with your normal tooth brush.You can use tooth paste if you’d like or just water but make sure that you’re brushing them and stay clean while you need to wear them.

OAP Cleaner Best currently on the market for Invisalign Cleaning

I have found through patient feedback and clinical reports that the best way to keep the aligners clean from bacteria, viruses and fungi is with the use of a product called OAP Cleaner.
OAP provides instant cleaning of Invisalign and it takes only 60 seconds to use. The carefully formulated, proprietary cleaning solution is effective at cleaning and sanitizing all types of orthodontic appliances. It has clinically been shown to kill 99.99% of all viruses, bacteria, fungi and germs on contact. It also removes stains, plaque and offensive odors. The use of a brush to scrub and rid these critters and plaque off of your aligners
together with OAP to sanitize and clean your aligner is the way to go.
OAP is BPA, persulfate and chlorine-free, and is completely safe to use on Invisalign, as well as Invisalign storage containers. It is a gentle and mild cleaning agent that won’t cause discoloration of the plastic or result in abrasion of any surface material.