Fat Transfer to Temples Too Much? (photo)

Had fat transfer to face (cheeks/temples). Pics show me today, 11 days post-op. Was excited for first couple of days post-op but now starting to get restless and worried. Seems not enough added to cheeks/undereye and far too much to temples. Every time I see myself in the mirror I see a huge face. Looks fairly normal if wear my hair down and conscientiously cover my temples, but once I pull my hair back I look odd. How long before temple swelling goes down and look normal? Try massaging?

Fat transfer to face

+2

Dear remainanonymous,

• I am not sure what you looked like before, but the results look very nice so far
  • Please give it several weeks for the swelling to go down (some fat will also be resorbed)
  • When the swelling goes down and the fat settles, it looks like it will be a great result

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Fat Transfer Recovery

+2

You are only 11 days post op from your procedure and look really good for just this short period of time.  Typically, it will take a few weeks for all the swelling to resolve after fat transfer procedures especially in the periorbital and cheek areas.  Also, you will see some further reduction in volume because a small percentage of the grafted fat will not survive the process.  Be patient and allow yourself time to heal.  Good Luck

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Early Results Of Fat Grafting To The Face

+2

You can not judge the results of fat grafting until around three months after the procedure, particularly if one is seeing too much volume. If there is too little volume at this early point, it is fair to say that more fat volume will not grow later.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Fat transfer outcome

+2

There is always swelling in the first few weeks after any eyelid and facial surgery, including fat transfer. Moreover, not all the fat transferred will survive.  It will take a few months before you can judge the final results of the fat transfer.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Concerns after fat transfer to face

+2

I think you look great, but like I tell all of my patients, it is only what you think that counts.

I can tell you that there are many techniques for transferring fat, with a wide variance of success.  One thing is for sure, there isn't a 100% survival rate of fat transfer.

I would not massage or anything else unless your surgeon absolutely tells you to do so.  I would also feel secure in telling you that things will shrink down over time.  This is good for temples, but not so much where you want more fill.  On the other hand, you ps should have told you in advance that you likely would need more than one transfer- including to the temple.

Don't get too agitated, it should only get better with time.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Fat transfer swelling.....

+2

Hi, don't worry as its too early to tell final results. You look great and from your pictures, I do not see any problems with your areas of concern. As mentioned above, your final results can be fully appreciated by 3-6 months. 

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS

Swelling 10 days after fat transfer is normal

+2

I would not worry at this point, as the rate of healing and swelling varies in the face    and from one patient to the next. Your end result cannot be judged until at least 2 to 3 months after the fat transfer. The temples do require a large amount of fat to produce a good long term result, and additional transfer can always be performed to other areas later. This is much easier than removing excess fat in general.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

10 Days after Fat Grafting and Too Much in the Temples

+2

10 Days is very early after fat grafting.  Some of the fat will be resorbed by 6 weeks to 3 months.  In addition, swelling is probably still figuring into the results at this early date.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Too Much Fat

+1
It is very difficult to evaluate with just a few photos, without before and after iamges, and particularly because your results are just days after surgery.

Ten years ago, fat grafting was something that was not performed by a lot of plastic surgeons. The treatment has become more popular and now, there are some doctors who are over-filling the face, resulting in an over-filled appearance that can be unattractive and odd looking. This is why I do NOT over-correct when fat grafting the face. 

You are very early in your healing.  If you do elect to have more fat grafting, look at many, many photos and find a plastic surgeon who performs a lot of fat grafting.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon