Hard Lump in Lip After Fat Transfer?

How long should I wait to have a hard lump in lip treated after fat transfer? Procedure done mid Dec 2012. Lump is hard and not going away with massage. Dr says to wait it out. It's ugly and pulls the lip. Steroid shot? If so-what takes care of it without making a bigger problem?

Lump after fat transfer

+1

The hard area is fat necrosis. That is to say a piece of fat that did not recieve blood flow and died. It needs to be excised. No other way...So Sorry!

Hard Lump in Lip After Fat Transfer

+1

The area of fat necrosis in the lip will probably improve with time.   The area can be excised as well.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Lump in lip after fat transfer

+1

Dear Blondie22,

• I would ask your doctor what he/she thinks
  • If the lump is getting better then it will continue to improve
  • A very dilute steroid injection may also help

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Steroid Injections After Lip Augmentation with Fat

+1

At just two months after fat grafting it is too early to do anything just yet. While it can be injected by steroids be aware that could cause the opposite problem...fat resorption and a divot in the lip. I would give it at least 3 to 4 months before doing a very dilute steroid injection. An alternative is a 5-FU injection which has no risk of too much atrophy.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Lip augmentation with fat

+1

After 2 months from fat transfer to the lip, a lump could be fat necrosis, or an oil cyst. The treatment is different for either one of them.

If it is fat necrosis, then direct excision is best. a cyst can be aspirated with a needle.