Will High Profile Implants Give "Natural-looking" Breasts?

I am 5'4" 125lbs, 31" ribcage, 34C (wanting atleast a DD) and my breast measures 13cm wide. I told my PS I wanted large, very nice looking (not high and ball-looking) breasts. He told me he will use a smooth, round, high profile, 500cc silicone implant and it will look "very nice" with a "nice downward slope". Everywhere on the internet says that high profiles don't give a really nice natural look, and that moderate profiles do. Will high profiles give me large, full, and natural-looking breasts with nice cleavage?

Natural-looking Breast Augmentation

+11
What one person might describe as a natural-looking breast augmentation might be described by another as very artificial-looking.
My breast implant reps joke that I am the biggest user of the smallest implants. In my opinion, high profile implants generally look 'done" and 500 plus cc's, particularly on a woman with a small frame would appear to be an obvious breast augmentation.
However, I would never try to convince a woman to go smaller than she wants to be. I would simply suggest that she see a plastic surgeon who shares her aesthetic ideal.
Take your time researching your plastic surgeon and take time to consider what size breasts you want not just for this season but for many years to come.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Depends where you live...

+10

Practicing in Southern California, many of my patients desire the look of high profile implants. The response to your question depends significantly on what you consider "natural". Many would argue that a DD cup size on a 125lb patient can not be "natural". In my office we consider this look the "California Natural". "Natural" is when their is not a sharply defined, round appearance to the upper breast (It does not look like two balls).

Given your height, weight, and desired size I would agree with what your PS has suggested. Saline is not an option for you and you can not go to a moderate profile given your breast diameter. The only other option would be to go smaller but this would not obtain the size you are looking for.

Joseph Thomas Cruise, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

High profile implants look better in larger sizes

+9

It all depends on the size.  High profile implants look better in the larger sizes and moderate profile implants look better in smaller sizes.  I usually reccomend high profile starting around 400 to 420cc.  In a 500cc implant, I would almost certainly go with high profile.  Otherwise, they look too wide and flat.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

High profile implants are very nice for the right patient

+7

High profile implants are very nice for the right patient. High profile implants have a narrower base with more forward projection. Depending on the body dimensions of my patient, I may elect to use a high profile implant. Realize, high profile, does not necessarily mean big and fake. High profile implants come as small as 120 cc's or as large as 800 cc's. Many factors determine whether someone may have a fake or natural look.

Sanjay Grover, MD

Unlikely a natural breast augmentation result

+6

I don't want to disappoint you but I would argue that at your relatively small frame you will not look natural with a 500 cc implant. My decision of implant profile is simple. The appropriate implant diameter for your body/ chest is chosen and the profile depends on the desired implant volume. Assuming the appropriate implant diameter is 13 cm for you (which would be wide for most 5'4"/ 125 lb patients) then at 500 cc you will be in a high profile implant. However, you will not look natural and will have unnatural upper breast fullness (some patients desire this). In Mentor Memory gel implants, a moderate plus implant would be 400 cc at this diameter and a moderate profile would be 275 cc.

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

You want to be too big!

+6

To masterfenrir,

You probably don't want to hear this,but with the anatomy that you describe, there is no way that you are going to look natural with 500 cc implants. High profile implants have a narrower base, and this is why your surgeon wants to use them, because they are the only 500 cc implants that will fit at all on your chest.

They do say things are different in Texas, but I think you can trust me: you can be a double D or you can look natural, but not both.

High profile implants are safe and I use them for selected patients. The real issue is the size.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

It needs to match your body

+6

There are a number of factors that sometimes are mutually exclusive when choosing the right profile. The first thing to consider is what the base diamter of the breast is, because the implant has to fit inside without being squeezed in. The second decision is volume, in other words how large do you want the implants to be? Combining these two considerations is what gives you the correct profile type. The high-profile designs will not have as "natural" of a slope as moderate profile, but choosing moderate would often mean a smaller size in order to fit in the base diameter. it may come down to deciding whether the smaller but more natural look is more important than getting the size you prefer, or vice-versa.

Richard Baxter, MD

High profile implants

+5

Based upon the measurements you have provided, I would agree with your plastic surgeon in that high profile implants are a good choice.  High profile implants do not necessarily give you a result that looks unnatural.  Really, these implants provide more projection and less width than the moderate profile implants.  A 500 cc high profile implant is 13.0 cm wide.  A moderate profile implant (492cc) is 14 cm wide.  If you used this moderate profile implant, it is wider than your natural breast.  As far as completely natural, there are not many 125 lb women with DD breasts that are natural.  But, I think you are trying to avoid a look of two balls on your chest.  I would use a high profile submuscular implant in your case.  Good luck!

Jason R. Hess, MD

Try sizers and review your surgeon's results

+5

Having trained in Chicago and practiced in Toronto and now Southern California, I've realized people's views on what looks natural vary geographically. The average implant size patients want increases as you move to the south or southwest.

Sit down with your surgeon and try different sizers in a flexible 34D bra (jogging bras often work well and will stretch to a DD). Wear a t-shirt over the bra, and see what size looks good to you. Remeber that sizers look a little bigger in your bra than inside you.

If 450 or 500 ccs looks good to you, then discuss the implant options. I generally use Allergan's textured silicone gel implants, which come in 3 profiles - moderate, mid-range and high. For smaller patients with large implants the mid-range often works well, but the choice depends on how wide your breast is, how your own breast tissue is distributed and whether you prefer more or less fullnes of the breast to the outside.

Putting the implant under the muscle will generally give a more natural profile to the upper part of the breast, with less of a sharp edge to the upper border of the breast.

Review examples of patients your surgeon has treated with similiar implants and which he/she thinks look natural. If, after going through these steps, you still wonder whether you and your surgeon are on the same page, it may be time for a second opinion.

M. Hugh Bailey, MD

Can High Profile Implants Give A "Natural Look"?

+3

It depends!

Almost everyone requesting breast augmentation wants a "natural look," yet different women have very different ideas and mean very different things when they use the term "natural."

• High profile implants may be the best fit for a large augmentation to avoid excessive lateral fullness.
  • The implants do produce a rounder fuller breast shape as the name suggests and as a picture of the implant clearly shows.
  • You will not get as gradual a slope in the upper part of the chest as compared with medium- or low-profile implants.

Cleavage is not created by implants alone. Implants provide the volume in your bra to lift and push your breast together.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon