Will High Profile Implants Give "Natural-looking" Breasts?

I am 5'4" 125lbs, 31" ribcage, 34C (wanting atleast a DD) and my breast measures 13cm wide. I told my PS I wanted large, very nice looking (not high and ball-looking) breasts. He told me he will use a smooth, round, high profile, 500cc silicone implant and it will look "very nice" with a "nice downward slope". Everywhere on the internet says that high profiles don't give a really nice natural look, and that moderate profiles do. Will high profiles give me large, full, and natural-looking breasts with nice cleavage?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

High profiles or not?

+1

Thank you for your question.  It's a bit difficult to answer without having photographs of you.  Nonetheless there were some guiding principles.  In my own practice I tell my patients candidly not to think about the size of the breast, but to think about the size of the person.  We try on implant sizers in the office.  These are actual implants.  First my goal is to find the width of the implant that fits my patients chest wall and has enough curve on the outside to give a nice balance with the curve of the hip.  Once we hone in on the diameter is that we like best then we play with a projection and look at the same diameter in high moderate and low profile.  To me, the width is more important than the projection.  If a patient wants to have a larger breasts we go with more projection such as a high profile.  Generally speaking I find moderate profile implants the most natural looking.  I don't particularly care for low profile implants as they are more pancake in shape to me.  Can look believable and natural if they fit the frame of the patient correctly.  If you were thinking of double D you may need a high profile to accomplish your goal.  I would strongly suggest that you try on implant sizers before making your final decision.  Looking at actual implants on your frame in my opinion is the best teaching tool.  Best wishes.

Web reference: http://www.atcosmetics.com/html/BreastAugmentation.php

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Depends where you live...

+10

Practicing in Southern California, many of my patients desire the look of high profile implants. The response to your question depends significantly on what you consider "natural". Many would argue that a DD cup size on a 125lb patient can not be "natural". In my office we consider this look the "California Natural". "Natural" is when their is not a sharply defined, round appearance to the upper breast (It does not look like two balls).

Given your height, weight, and desired size I would agree with what your PS has suggested. Saline is not an option for you and you can not go to a moderate profile given your breast diameter. The only other option would be to go smaller but this would not obtain the size you are looking for.
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

High profile implants look better in larger sizes

+8

It all depends on the size.  High profile implants look better in the larger sizes and moderate profile implants look better in smaller sizes.  I usually reccomend high profile starting around 400 to 420cc.  In a 500cc implant, I would almost certainly go with high profile.  Otherwise, they look too wide and flat.

Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

High profile implants are very nice for the right patient

+6

High profile implants are very nice for the right patient. High profile implants have a narrower base with more forward projection. Depending on the body dimensions of my patient, I may elect to use a high profile implant. Realize, high profile, does not necessarily mean big and fake. High profile implants come as small as 120 cc's or as large as 800 cc's. Many factors determine whether someone may have a fake or natural look.

Unlikely a natural breast augmentation result

+6

I don't want to disappoint you but I would argue that at your relatively small frame you will not look natural with a 500 cc implant. My decision of implant profile is simple. The appropriate implant diameter for your body/ chest is chosen and the profile depends on the desired implant volume. Assuming the appropriate implant diameter is 13 cm for you (which would be wide for most 5'4"/ 125 lb patients) then at 500 cc you will be in a high profile implant. However, you will not look natural and will have unnatural upper breast fullness (some patients desire this). In Mentor Memory gel implants, a moderate plus implant would be 400 cc at this diameter and a moderate profile would be 275 cc.

Web reference: http://www.yorkyates.com/breast-surgery-utah/breast-augmentation/

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

It needs to match your body

+6

There are a number of factors that sometimes are mutually exclusive when choosing the right profile. The first thing to consider is what the base diamter of the breast is, because the implant has to fit inside without being squeezed in. The second decision is volume, in other words how large do you want the implants to be? Combining these two considerations is what gives you the correct profile type. The high-profile designs will not have as "natural" of a slope as moderate profile, but choosing moderate would often mean a smaller size in order to fit in the base diameter. it may come down to deciding whether the smaller but more natural look is more important than getting the size you prefer, or vice-versa.

High profile implants

+5

Based upon the measurements you have provided, I would agree with your plastic surgeon in that high profile implants are a good choice.  High profile implants do not necessarily give you a result that looks unnatural.  Really, these implants provide more projection and less width than the moderate profile implants.  A 500 cc high profile implant is 13.0 cm wide.  A moderate profile implant (492cc) is 14 cm wide.  If you used this moderate profile implant, it is wider than your natural breast.  As far as completely natural, there are not many 125 lb women with DD breasts that are natural.  But, I think you are trying to avoid a look of two balls on your chest.  I would use a high profile submuscular implant in your case.  Good luck!

Natural-looking Breast Augmentation

+5
What one person might describe as a natural-looking breast augmentation might be described by another as very artificial-looking.
My breast implant reps joke that I am the biggest user of the smallest implants. In my opinion, high profile implants generally look 'done" and 500 plus cc's, particularly on a woman with a small frame would appear to be an obvious breast augmentation.
However, I would never try to convince a woman to go smaller than she wants to be. I would simply suggest that she see a plastic surgeon who shares her aesthetic ideal.
Take your time researching your plastic surgeon and take time to consider what size breasts you want not just for this season but for many years to come.

Web reference: http://www.michaellawmd.com/breast-augmentation_breast_implants.html

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Natural Breast Augmentation

+4

Not to sound like a broken record as it looks like a majority of the surgeons answering this question I agree with...namely, High profile implants were manufactured for one reason, to provide projection off the chest wall....therefore a more unnatural or "fake" look. Many patients desire this type of result (see answer from Southern Cal MD), however, your measurements and a request for a more natural look are pretty much what I see in my practice everyday. I use Moderate Profile implants in 95% of my cases. 500 cc high profile is a sizeable implant with excessive projection and I personaly would not recommend this configuration.

Assuming you are seeing a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who performs breast surgery primarily, ask him/her if you can see before and after photos. And have him/her sit down with you and identify before photos that look similar to your breast, critique the after photos yourself for the "natural" result you are looking for and once identified ask about the implant configuration (a picute is worth a thousand words!). This may help your decision.

Good Luck!

Dr. C

Try sizers and review your surgeon's results

+4

Having trained in Chicago and practiced in Toronto and now Southern California, I've realized people's views on what looks natural vary geographically. The average implant size patients want increases as you move to the south or southwest.

Sit down with your surgeon and try different sizers in a flexible 34D bra (jogging bras often work well and will stretch to a DD). Wear a t-shirt over the bra, and see what size looks good to you. Remeber that sizers look a little bigger in your bra than inside you.

If 450 or 500 ccs looks good to you, then discuss the implant options. I generally use Allergan's textured silicone gel implants, which come in 3 profiles - moderate, mid-range and high. For smaller patients with large implants the mid-range often works well, but the choice depends on how wide your breast is, how your own breast tissue is distributed and whether you prefer more or less fullnes of the breast to the outside.

Putting the implant under the muscle will generally give a more natural profile to the upper part of the breast, with less of a sharp edge to the upper border of the breast.

Review examples of patients your surgeon has treated with similiar implants and which he/she thinks look natural. If, after going through these steps, you still wonder whether you and your surgeon are on the same page, it may be time for a second opinion.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.