Help, Do my Veneers Look Fake? ( photo)

Im a 22 year old girl and I recently got veneers on my upper teeth done. I feel like they look really bulky and fake. The doctor told me its because im still not used to them, but I really need another opinion. Do they look fake or is it that im just not used to them yet. Ive attached two pictures. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Help,for your veneers and smile

+2

I am taking a more positive approach than my colleagues have with my answer to your question.  If I were you, I would have my lower teeth whitened to match your new veneers and possibly place one veneer on #24, your front tooth which would make for a very nice smile.  Your doctor either used non prep veneers or was conservative and  did not drill away a ton of your tooth structure. That is why you are feeling larger and thicker teeth than before. If they are non prep you can easily correct this by taking them off and doing regular veneers that would feel less bulky.  I would whiten the lower teeth and possiblty do one lower  veneer and I think you will find that you will have a beautiful smile!

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Can Veneers Look Natural

+1

I take it that you are not happy with your veneers or you would not have been writing to Real Self.  If you are not pleased, you should definitely talk to your dentist about this and discuss what options can be done to meet your expectations. 

Good luck.

Ronald Konig DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Do my veneers look fake

+1

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  You have veneers done and its sounds like your expectations have not been met.  Making esthetic looking veneers is an art by itself.  The dentist needs to select a qualified laboratory to do the ceramics in order to make great looking veneers.  If you are not happy then speak with your dentist about the options you have.  I wish you luck in making your decision.

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain veneers

+1

The big issue is that your expectations haven't been met. In some parts of the country a less than natural look is what people want. The lab that fabricates the veneers is one of the most important considerations when wanting natural looking veneers. Look at your current dentist's other before and afters. Do they look natural. If not, you are facing a very difficult conversation and decision.

Dr. Sue Wendling

Sue Wendling, DMD
Portland Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers, are they fake?

+1

The most important part of the process of doing any aesthetic work is to listen to the patient's needs. it seems you are very unhappy , and you need to be happy. Your smile is, without question, one of your most important attributes. A winning, bright, white, straight smile can provide you with endless amounts of confidence. Studies have shown that people with pleasant smiles are more likely to get ahead in the business world, and feeling confident is always a plus when it comes to your personal life. You deserve to feel comfortable with your smile. You deserve a smile that is strong and attractive. Do not be afraid to share your thoughts with your dentist, you can also consult in person!

Pamela Marzban, DDS
Fairfax Cosmetic Dentist

Do my Veneers Look Fake?

+1

It's hard to make invisible, natural porcelain veneers. It takes, skill, artistry, an amazing lab and good communication throughout the process..

There are two important answers to "Do my veneers look fake?"

One- what do YOU think? I've had patients leave Denver, then move back years later. One came in with the hugest veneers I have ever seen. He loved them and thought they looked great. So if you like them, and you feel happy and love to smile, nothing else matters.

Two-Get an opinion from a few people who will tell you the truth. If you don't like the look AND they don't think it looks like you, then it may not be a great result. 

If you are still concerned, make a list of what concerns you. Be as specific as possible. Ask to meet with the dentist and present your concerns. A great cosmetic dentist will listen and then try to make improvements. If you get excuses or resistance, then you may have to seek out a cosmetic dentist and discuss your concerns. A great cosmetic dentist will make sure he knows what you are expecting, and make sure that YOU know what to expect as well. When your veneers go on, there really shouldn't be any surprises.

Scott Greenhalgh, DDS
Denver Cosmetic Dentist

Fake looking veneers lack translucency and anatomy

+1

In my opinion your veneers do look a bit fake. They look very blocky, bulky and opaque.  It would take to long to explain all the variables with esthetic veneers but in general to make natural looking but beautiful veneers you need to have adequate space (this may mean some tooth reduction), and a great lab technician. Also, you need a pre-op wax up that will show both you and the dentist what the teeth will look like before you begin. Also, it is more difficult to get great results if your teeth are very dark underneath.

Many of the advertised so called "no prep" or no grinding veneers like "lumineers"  end up looking fake because there is not room to layer the porcelain and they end up looking bulky and very opaque. You need space to have natural layering and trasnlucency that give it the life-like natural apprearance. The lab tech needs to give the veneers slight surface texture and anatomy as well as gradation of color.

All this means you can't take shortcuts and you can't go cheap. Find a well recommended dentist and have them show you cases they have done to see if you like them. This may mean paying more but it will be worth it.

Hope this helps

Dr. T

Mauricio C. Tijerino, DMD
Miami Beach Cosmetic Dentist

Bulky Looking Porcelain Veneers

+1

Thank you for your question and photos. From what I see, your veneers have the classic chicklet look. Natural front teeth have a flatter profile on the middle four teeth, with a more rounded profile going towards the rear teeth.  Were these No Preparation style veneers?  If no enamel was removed before your final impressions, teeth will often times look over contoured. Porcelain veneers require an artistic eye and a smile design to achieve a realistic result. Cosmetic dentistry requires passion, artwork and training.  Have a heart-to-heart discussion with your treating dentist. Best of luck.

Dustin Nelson, DDS
Pasadena Cosmetic Dentist

Fake Looking Veneers

+1

Although the quality of the photos is not so great, YES, to me they do look "fake". Whenever doing any cosmetic work, you should always seek out a highly trained and skilled cosmetic dentist. Look at the dentist's before and after photos of other patients with similar issues to yours. Any dentist can do a porcelain veneer, but the proper preparation of the teeth, the trial temporary veneers, the quality of the ceramic laboratory used all play a major factor in natural looking veneers. remember, you get what you pay for! Don't shop for price when looking for excellent cosmetic dentistry or parachutes!

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain veneers for anterior teeth

+1

Thank you for your inquiry! Even the quality of pictures can be better it is obvious that your anterior veneers could be looking more aesthetic. The quality of veneers usually depends on doctors philosophy, initial situation etc. So, before getting aesthetic  dental work done it is important to ask the dentist to show the photos with the cases before and after. Any dentist can do porcelain veneers, but only few can make them look natural. There is the difference between "good" and "best". Hopefully I was able to answer your question. 

Olga Kharevich, DMD, PhD (in memoriam)
Miami Cosmetic Dentist