Why are my nostrils different sizes? (Photo)

I never broke my nose, but I DID press on the bridge of it a lot because there is a bump on it (i looked up nose exercises online and it said that you could flatten ur nose bump with pressure...i was desperate so i tried it). I've pressed on it for years, actually (body dysmorphia). I could breathe perfectly through my nostrils until I was 16, I could no longer breathe through the right side. I've recently been told I had a deviated septum! Did I cause this? And why are my nostrils asymmetric?

Nasal septal deformity can cause nostril asymmetry

+1
A nasal septal deformity or a curve in the nasal septum can often cause nostril asymmetry.  It sounds as though you have had an intranasal examination and my presumption is that the doctor who performed this  is correct and that you have a nasal septal deviation.

Often a septoplasty can correct this problem.

Asymmetry of the nostrils

+1
this is very common and U did not cause a yourself.  There are changes to the skin as far as thickness is concerned and rigidity of the nose overall as you age.  This is particularly true as you go through puberty.  You did nothing to cause this but you may have breathing issues related to the deviated septum and nostril asymmetry.

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric nostrils

+1
Difference in size is not huge. Symmetry is very rare in human noses if you. If you're bored by this could definitely be corrected surgically but I will not recommended at this point

Vartan Mardirossian, MD
Jupiter Facial Plastic Surgeon