Heavy Lifting After Eyelid Surgery and Facelift?

What is the maximum weight I can lift after Eyelid surgery and Facelift? I need to know how heavy my luggage can be, since I'm flying to another city for my surgery. Thanks.

Heavy Lifting after Facial Surgery

+2

I recommend avoiding strenuous activity for three weeks after a facelift and eyelid surgery. I define "strenuous" activity as anything that raises your bood pressure, pulse, or breathing rate. Don't be concerned about traveling. T here is always somebody available to help you.

It's Too Heavy If You Have To Strain

+2

It is easier to instruct patients on what they can't do and can't lift rather than what they can.

A good rule of thumb is to avoid heavy lifting where you have to strain and vigorous physical exercise for three weeks after a facelift.

As far as luggage, almost any large bag is going to be too heavy. Overnight bags with less than 20 pounds should be fine.

In 15 years of doing facelifts, I have found that most people who develop problems from lifting, do so after a strenuous and sudden heavy lift and frankly, most often they are men

Use roller luggage (small to medium size, approximately 20 lb.) and lift gently and you should avoid any problems.

David L. Mobley, MD, FACS
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

No heavier than a phone book

+2

Postoperative activity restrictions in my practice include no bending over, no heavy lifting (nothing heavier than a phone book), and no strenuous activity for 2 weeks after surgery. The swelling/ edema which results from over-exerting in this time frame takes much longer to resolve than the normal course of events. Other complications such as hematoma, suture line disruption, and excessive bruising can result from over doing it.

As was previously mentioned in this post, make sure you use button-down shirts in the first two weeks to avoid opening the Blepharoplasty incisions (usually associated with pullover T shirts). Blepharoplasty incisions are not closed under tension, and can open even after sutures are removed if appropriate precautions are not taken.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Limit heavy lifting after eyelid and facelift surgery

+1

It is probably best not to lift more than 30 pounds of weight for the first two weeks after your eyelid surgery and/or a facelift surgery.

Pack Light - No pull over shirts / sweaters

+1

Hi TCM,

Pack light - you will be happy you did. Bring along loose and comfortable clothing - don't pack any pullover shirts or sweaters as you will want to avoid any possible problems with pulling them on or off. Best to wear loose collared button up shirts / cardigans.

You also might want to bring along a hat and sunglasses - just about every patient who has eyelid surgery will get bruising so sunglasses are nice to wear when in the airport. You might get a little extra scrutiny from security or any papparazzi, but you also might get special priority boarding the plane!

Lastly, I tell all my travelling patients to use wheeled luggage, it is less burdensome to move around. Avoid heavy backpacks or over the shoulder bags, these cause strain. Keep the weight under 20 pounds.

It's also nice to have a visit with your Surgeon the day of your departure - this way you get one more check up before heading back home.

Good Luck,

Dr. Kamran Jafri

Kamran Jafri, MD

2 weeks.

+1

It is best to avoid any lifting that could cause bleeding late after surgery. This is quite rare, but could theoretically happen if you strained.

Be very careful

+1

You should avoid any lifting for a full 10 days after any significant facial surgery.  Bleeding after a procedure can be initiated from violating this rule!

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon