Healing from Mole Removal

I had a very slightly raised mole about the same diameter as a pencil eraser removed from my cheek via radio surgery. Currently it is bright pink and there is a fairly good sized divot where the mole used to be. Will that eventually fill in some or will it be like that permanently? Thanks.

Scar after mole removal

+1

Any time you have surgical procedure to remove a skin growth there is a small likelihood of skin discoloration (pink or brown) that may last a few months and scarring. Scarring may improve after few months to a year. Over the counter silicone based scar creams (e.g., Kelo-cote, Neosporin scar solution) can help to expedite healing of scars slightly.

Sun avoidance and protection with sunscreen will accelerate diminishment of pink discoloration and prevent deposition of brown spot in the area. If after a few months you desire scar cosmetic treatment, there are prescription creams (retinoids) that can help as well as laser therapies (pulse dye laser or fraxel) that can also improve the scar significantly.
Good luck.

Hollywood Dermatologist

Scarring After Mole Removal

+1

With any sort or surgery, there is always going to be a scar, no matter what someone tells you.  Thye only thing that you cna do to help it along is two things;

1  Sunscreen - SPF 15 or higher everyday on the area.  The more the UV rays beat down on it, the longer it will stay discolored.

2.  Massage - this helps break up scar tissue and lets eveything smooth out.  There are all these scar products out there, but no one really knows if they actually work or not since 90% of how you heal is genetics.  They do not hurt, though, so use either Mederma, scar guard, Vitamin e, etc. twice a day while massaging for 5 minuites each time.

It can take up to a year for the scar to fade significantly and fill in.  Just be patient.  I hope this helps.

Barrington Plastic Surgeon