Is It Okay to Wear Headgear with Invisalign?

I'm class I on top left, class II on top right. I also have an overbite and crowded teeth and narrow arches--top and bottom. My orthodontist is recommending headgear with the Invisalign (vs. rubberbands). I'm 51 years old and have never worn braces before. Should I be concerned about the effectiveness of the headgear? The physical part doesn't sound too fun, but I'm willing to do it if it's the best option. I'm a stay at home mom, so I'm not worried about the appearance of the headgear.

Yes, headgear is OK with Invisalign

+2

If your orthodontist feels that headgear is the best treatment, then you can always try it for a while. If you don't like it, then he can do the elastics, which would probably be more comfortable for you but would lengthen your treatment time.

If you're a stay at home mom, then you are a perfect candidate for the quicker headgear treatment.

Dr Thomas

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign and headgear? Maybe!

+1

Headgear can be used with Invisalign. But, it is uncommon to consider headgear use in an adult since its primary use is to modify jaw growth in adolescents. And, since you describe your bite as being asymmetric, and headgears act symmetrically, rubber bands might be a better choice. I recommend having a discussion with your orthodonitst about his/her reasoning in recommending headgear in your particular case. Maybe there are cirumstances, that are not clear in your description, that make it a logical choice. 

R. William McNeill, DDS, MS
Mercer Island Orthodontist

Headgear with Invisalign

+1

From your description your bite sound asymmetric; ie, different on the right than on the left.  In a case like that headgear may not be the best choice since it corrects both sides equally.  This means that it would push your class I side into a class III while correcting your class II side to a class I.  Still, there may be a reason to use headgear so the best course of action would be to ask your orthodontist to explain the situation in more detail.  

Brian Povolny, DDS, PhD
Seattle Orthodontist