Hard and Numb Breast After Breast Lift - is It Normal?

I had a breast lift 1,1/2 weeks ago. They had to go twice in my right breast as I developed a hematoma, which they had to drain (its fine now, hardly any bruising/swelling). My left one seemed fine, until recently I notice it to be harder and somewhat numb inside the nipple area, with sign. more bruising. 2 days ago nurse told me it might be a scar tissue and I should massage the hard bumps. Can it still be a hematoma, and/or will I need additional surgery to remove it and scar tissue?

Firmness and numbness common after breastlift

+1

It is very common to be firm and hard after a breast lift for the first several weeks. Lumpiness is also common. All of these things should go away with time. You should not need any more surgery for the scar tissue. It may take six months or longer for the numbness to go away but, in the end, your sensation should be pretty normal.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Numbness and bruising

+1

Numbness a week and one-half after surgery is not uncommon and usually gets better over the next 6-8 weeks but it may take even longer. As for the lumps, that may be suturing or residual blood or firm tissue.

Hard lumps and bumps after breast lift.

+1

In general, areas of blood may cause the surrounding tissues to form more scar tissue (called fibrosis) and to possibly cause fat death (necrosis) which present as firm hard nodules. Many of these will be resorbed by your body while others may need to be excised in order to achieve removal.

Hard Areas After Breast Lift Normal

+1

It is normal after a breast lift to have a few areas that are firmer than the others. You probably developed a little bleeding around the areola area, which has turned into some bruising and a little collection of blood.  These things usually resolve on their own as long as they are small enough.  I would keep my eye on it, and as long as it is not getting any bigger, then I would just ice 20 min on/off.  If it does appear to get bigger or more painful, then I would let your surgeon know at once.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon