Hard Lump After Upper and Lower Blepharoplasty

Two months ago I had upper and lower Blepharoplasty. All went well, and then I noticed a hard lump under my left eye. The doctor said it might be a muscle that is twisted, and I should put a little cream on it and massage it. After several weeks of massaging it, nothing has changed. Can it be fixed and how?

Reoperation at 2 months

+3

2 months is very early to reoperate after lower eyelid surgery.

Only your surgeon knows exactly what was done during your surgery. If fat injection was performed at the same time, for example, he or she will determine whether steroid injections to the area or removal of the lump may be in order.

Problems such as this are not uncommon after eyelid surgery, and close communication with your doctor is a must.

If your last interaction with your doctor was him advising you to massage the area, and he hasn't heard from you since, he may assume that you are getting better. If you are not, you should communicate this with him to get a speedier resolution to your problem. If you are quietly dissatisfied with your treatment, your doctor may have no idea, and no chance to help you properly.

This appears to be some type of cyst or foreign body...

+2

This appears to be some type of cyst or foreign body reaction. If you had a transconjunctival blepharoplasty with the incision made inside of the eyelid it is possible that this is a reaction of from the ointment that was placed on your eye during surgery. The ointment can insite a foreign body reaction. The treatment is surgical excision.

Looks like a cyst.

+2

Hi!  I would try to lance this with a tiny blade or the tip of a needle.  If that did not work, I would wait another 4 months, and surgically re-explore (take a look inside) your eyelid.

Unfortunately, what you are doing now is not going to help.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Hard or soft lump?

+2

It is unusual to see such a large, distinct mass after blepharoplasty. If it is soft, it could be a fluid-filled cyst, seroma, or small hematoma. Your surgeon could easily try to aspirate it or lance it with a needle puncture. If it is hard, surgical exploration and excision would be advisable. Although extremely unusual in its temporal relationship to your surgery, a tumor from skin appendages or from the lid cartilage can occur. Usually these are benign. If you do not get adequate answers or attention from your surgeon, go seek a second opinion from a reputatable surgeon. A good surgeon would be amenable to helping you get another opinion.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Hard lump lower lid

+1
It may be a cyst or the result of something like a fat injection. It should have gone away by now.  You should return to your surgeon to have it looked at and removed.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Cystic Lesion Following Eyelid Surgery

+1
Review of your pictures suggest that you may have some type of cystic lesion of your left lower eyelid. A variety of lesions of this type can occur following eyelid surgery. These include cystic lesions, foreign body reactions, localized fat collections and scar tissue. In the initial post-operative period conservative management is appropriate, if this fails then simple excision is indicated. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

2 months postop lower blepharoplasty

+1
 At 2 months postop you should be very well healed from the lower eyelid blepharoplasty. It is not a muscle that is twisted, but could potentially be a cyst. Best to check in with yourr original surgeon to have it removed.

Eyelid surgery and revision in Los Angeles

+1

This is an uncommon presentation and may warrant a surgical revision if the bump does not resolve conservatively. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Lump after Lower Eyelid Surgery

+1

Thank you for the question and the photo. The bump looks like a reaction to a stitch or perhaps some scar tissue. Without knowing the exact approach used in your procedure, it is difficult to say. Gentle massage or sometimes some steroid injections can help. I recommend close follow up with your surgeon. Best of luck!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hard Lump After Blepharoplasty - Check your Surgeon

+1

It looks like it could be a cyst. Check with your surgeon to be certain and discuss treatment options.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon