Hair loss after ulthera?

I had ultherapy around six months ago and am pleased with the results . During the treatment it hurt like hell and felt like nerves were snapping all the way to my scalp. My hairline was numb and tender for days. I have noticed a significant hairloss around the front hairline and wondering if it could be related to the ultherapy? I have read about hardening collagen inhibits hair growth. Thank you

Ulthera will not cause hair loss.

+2

It would be unusual to do ulthera up to and into the hair line.  Ulthera produces heat by ultrasound which tightens the skin.  Laser hair removal targets the pigment in the hair follicle to kill it.  Since Ulthera is not being absorbed by the pigment, it will not cause any hair loss.  

Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ultherapy does not cause hair loss

+1
Ultherapy does not cause hair loss. We have treated many MALE patients in the typical treatment areas (face and neck) and no one has ever complained of hair loss in those areas where men shave. So, if it doesn't cause hair loss in the face and neck in men, it is not likely to cause hair loss in the upper forehead/hair line. 

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Hair loss after ulthera?

+1
I do not know of any cases in which hair loss was associated with Ulthera treatments. Some tingling can occur but hair loss is not a known side effect of Ultherapy. 

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Ultherapy should not cause hair loss

+1
Tingling along nerve endings is not uncommon when the forehead is treated. The sensation can be felt on the forward scalp and may last for a while after the procedure but I have not been aware of hair loss from my patients, nor colleagues' experiences, nor the company. I don't see a cause and effect between the Ultherapy and hair loss.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Ultherapy Side Effects

+1

I have not heard of Ultherapy or ultrasound for that matter contribuing to hair loss, however you may want to ask your practitioner if the treatment was targeted near your hairline and avoid future sessions in that area.

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ultherapy and hairloss

+1

There are no before and after pictures offered for evaluation which limits the relevance of any response. Generally, Ultherapy is not performed all the way up to the hairline and if done the customary manner as high as the brows, I don't see how any energy could cause follicle damage at the hairline. Also, despite energy being delivered immediately above the brows, I have not encountered any hair loss in the brows. I would suggest speaking the doctor who performed the procedure for assessment of the hair loss. Also,in my practice, I always perform loco-regional blocks to adequately numb the treatment area so that the treatment is not only tolerable but comfortable at the optimal clinical settings.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon