Puffy Nipples, Not Gynecomastia

i had a consult with a plastic surgeon yesterday and he said that the gland under my nipples is very small. And that evey man has a little bit of gland and its not gynecomastia. You cant feel it unless i contract my muscles. And its about the size of the peanut. But its still the cause for my puffy nipples, because i have no fat. So i dont know what to do. Isit still gynecomastia but just a very mild case. and i need to only have a very small amount removed. Ive had it for 6 years now.

Gynecomastia male breast reduction

Even with minimal breast tissue enlargement, an enlarged areolar diameter tends to produce a feminized breast/chest appearance. For patients with an enlarged areolar diameter, an areolar reduction can be performed in addition to direct excision of breast tissue and liposuction. This requires an incision, and thus a scar, that encompasses the entire circumference of the areola. However, the scar is usually obscured fairly well by the color difference between areolar skin and the adjacent chest skin, and the reduced areolar diameter can be critical to producing a more masculine appearance of the anterior chest.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Puffy Nipples, Not Gynecomastia

You need to be examined by a surgeon or have some photos to be reviewed. Seek a plastic surgeon with specialty training in gynecomastia surgery.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS

Puffy Nipple Is Gynecomastia

Hi eurofine,

One type of gynecomastia is referred to as "puffy nipples." This is when the excess tissue (typically gland) is confined to the borders of the areola. This will show more with contraction of the pectoralis or when your areolas are warm (after a hot shower), but will look better when stimulating the nipples or when they are cold. I recommend being evaluated by a plastic surgeon who is experienced in evaluating gynecomastia patients.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

You are describing a very mild form of gynecomastia

You are describing a very mild form of gyenecomastia.  When confined to the areaola, a reduction in the size of the areola and resection of the tissues just deep to its surface is usually sufficient to remedy the situation.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Puffy nipples (areola)

What you describe is gynecomastia.  Feeling it is different than seeing it.  If it is visible, then it may make sense to have it surgically excised.  If it is just palpable, it may make sense to observe unless it really, really bothers you.  Procedure is rather easy and includes a well camouflaged incision around the areola.  Recovery is quick. 

Tim Neavin, MD

Gynecomastia

Gynecomastia is usually caused by a combination of excess fat and breast tissue.  In some patients with little body fat, it is the breast tissue causing the result.  Fat can be removed with specialized liposuction techniques ( that also help skin to contract), while the excess breast tissue needs to be excised through a small incision around the areola.
Hope that helps.

Joshua Korman, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia can be large of small

Even though your case may be mild, it sounds like it is bothersome to you. It is true that even men have breast tissue, but if it is palpable and annoying to you, (in my opinion) it is worth removing if its affecting your quality of life.

Gynecomastia and areolar size

A photo would be helpful. Some patients with puffy nipples may undergo an areolar correction surgery to reduce the puffiness and size of the areola. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Puffy Nipple Correcive Measures

Puffy nipples can be reduced by removing extra breast tissue directly below the areola and nipple. It is often done under local anesthesia as an office procedure. Addtional breast tissue fullness outside of the nipple area is usally removed with liposuction. Exercise will not help this condition. Cost depends on experience of the surgeon, location of the surgery, surgical time, and type of anesthesia used.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS